Charting to Avoid/ Fertility Awareness October - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 118 Old 09-30-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

flower.gif   October 2011  flower.gif

Welcome to the October 2011 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); some are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" or pregnant and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post in September, you may have been deleted from the list. If you have joined recently, please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If you were mistakenly deleted, you would like to be added/removed, or you spot anything you would like me to change, please post or PM me to let me know. Remember, you must post in August if you want to be on the September list!

To those who are new, welcome! Welcome.gif

Who We Are

aeiou

Angelorum

Ashley Payne BFPChart2.gif

CarsonBookworm BFPChart2.gif

Clavicula BFPChart2.gif

Devaya BFPChart2.gif

Erigeron

infojunkie BFPChart2.gif BFPChart2.gif

JenRN

jodi5 BFPChart2.gif (STM/MM)

librarygirl BFPChart2.gif

Lionessmom BFPChart2.gif

nattery

Ovaova BFPChart2.gif

Pinkbunch

physics girl BFPChart2.gif

reborn

ThreeLittleBirds
Toolip BFPChart2.gif

WifeofAnt BFPChart2.gif

Graduates

Pregnant! belly.gif

Jaimee (November 2011)

mommy2two babes (December 2011)

lactatinggirl (January 2012)

JMJ (March 2012)

alyadri BFPChart2.gif (March 2012)

justKate BFPChart2.gif (STM) (April 2012)

miss_honeyb BFPChart2.gif  (April 2012)

Buterflymomma BFPChart2.gif

FaithHopeLove29 BFPChart2.gif

Wiki Resources for Charting to Avoid

Reasons to Choose Natural Family Planning - Why would you want to use charting to plan your family, anyway?  Feel free to add your own reasons for charting!

Types of Natural Family Planning - It's not just the rhythm method.  They've got this down to a science with options galore!

NFP or FAM Methods While Breastfeeding - You have options in the postpartum period while your fertility is returning!

Resources For Learning About Fertility Cycles - Find books to read or websites to visit, find an instructor, post your chart online, and learn about how your diet affects your fertility.

Fertility Awareness Method - A quick-start guide to the Fertility Awareness, a version of the Sympto-Thermal Method taught by Toni Weschler in her book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

Commom Abbreviations for Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness - BBT, EWCM, TCOYF, and more!  Learn what all these crazy acronyms mean here.

Happy Charting Everyone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 118 Old 09-30-2011, 09:11 PM

Wow! October already! Hope everyone in the northern hemisphere is enjoying some lovely fall weather (perfect for snuggling under the covers!).

Happy charting!

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#3 of 118 Old 09-30-2011, 11:06 PM

Beautiful fall here! Thanks for the new thread!

Re Julimummy's adventure: first of all Congrats!!! :)

This is exactly how our third surprise baby was concieved. Unprotected sex on a perfectly dry day and exactly 5 days later I ovulated. I was absolutely sure it is fine, FF showed low pregnancy chances and my fellow TTA-ers also said I was in the clear. 

This wasn't about your body. This is sperm-related. 5 days later they are still alive and right there of course, next to the egg. Ovulation and conception happens at the same time! lol  (chart) It's the Feb 15 2008 chart, unprotected sex on day 13.

Wish you a happy pregnancy!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#4 of 118 Old 10-01-2011, 07:12 AM

Thank you, Clavicula :)

I honestly can't tell you if I was completely dry on the day or not. I'll just copy what I wrote on the end of the September thread in response to some questions about whether I had taken CM into account.

"

Thank you! :)

You're probably right about the CM. I realise that it would have been more reliable if I'd been able to observe that a bit better, but my problem was that I always started having CM from a couple of days after my period finished and I could never quite tell the difference between the different sorts of CM. In hindsight, (and it does seem quite obvious now), I probably should have realised that I'm quite fertile and should have been more careful during the first half of the cycle, but I guess one is always wiser in retrospect...

On the other hand, I don't think my husband would have been very impressed if I'd told him that we should be using condoms for the whole of the first part of the cycle eyesroll.gif

"

#5 of 118 Old 10-01-2011, 11:07 AM

Just popping in with some (still mind-boggling) news - I'm pregnant!

If we had been avoiding, would not have DTD without barrier on day CD18 - had already had some fertile CM. Given that we were NTNP didn't think much of it cuz I O'd at CD26 for my previous cycles, and fertile CM is pretty common for me for over a week, but this month O was on CD20, so it was pretty good timing for conception. Thought I'd share the story as this is kind of a learn-from-each-other thread, thought maybe it would be helpful. smile.gif

Keeping busy with DH partners.gif, our crazy dogdog2.gif, grad school caffix.gif, and our new baby boy who arrived in June! babyboy.gif

#6 of 118 Old 10-01-2011, 07:34 PM

Hello Everyone 

I just removed my IUD last week and have two months to figure out my cycle and charting before my partner and I are together again. We are charting to avoid until the spring and then ttc around may onwards! Looking forward to learning all that I can in the next two months so that I am fully prepared to manage my family planning naturally! Happy to be here!

#7 of 118 Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations, FaithHopeLove29!

Welcome, nattery. If you decide to chart online, send me a message so I can link to your chart on the first post.

#8 of 118 Old 10-02-2011, 04:31 PM

Thank you! I've been looking at the various FAM charts out there... it seems most people are happiest with fertility friend? I started one on the taking charge of your fertility site but I'm not sure if I'm happy with it yet. Any suggestions... which chart do people recommend for people just learning to chart, and charting to avoid? 

cheers!

#9 of 118 Old 10-02-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithHopeLove29 View Post

Just popping in with some (still mind-boggling) news - I'm pregnant!
If we had been avoiding, would not have DTD without barrier on day CD18 - had already had some fertile CM. Given that we were NTNP didn't think much of it cuz I O'd at CD26 for my previous cycles, and fertile CM is pretty common for me for over a week, but this month O was on CD20, so it was pretty good timing for conception. Thought I'd share the story as this is kind of a learn-from-each-other thread, thought maybe it would be helpful. smile.gif

Congrats!!! H&H 9 months to you!!

Nicole
Wife to Victor
partners.gif familybed2.gif, buddamomimg1.png, caffix.gif, large family lovin'SAHM chicken3.gif to my chicklets, Nicholas 9/05 ,Genevieve 1/08, Viviana 11/09 and Michaela 5/11. Plus three angel babies in Jesus' arms. Forever in my heart  angel.gif  7/10 (5.5w), angel.gif  11/11 (11w) & angel.gif 4/12 (8w)

John 3:16

#10 of 118 Old 10-03-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattery View Post

Thank you! I've been looking at the various FAM charts out there... it seems most people are happiest with fertility friend? I started one on the taking charge of your fertility site but I'm not sure if I'm happy with it yet. Any suggestions... which chart do people recommend for people just learning to chart, and charting to avoid? 

cheers!

tbh i like tcoyf better.

i am having an inner battle i cant seem to win. i kow i should not have any more kids. i know i am not getting any younger and that i am already pretty full up on responsibilities, but every time i stop  to think i think about babies. i look around to round up my kids and i always feel like i amisiing someone. i told dh about how i was feeling and the inner battle i have been having and he tells me "if it happens, it happens". what am i supposed to do with that? i was hoping he would say that he would get a v or that we shouldnt do it or yes lets do it. yk, some kind of actual opinion. i think it is just my biological clock ticking. but it has been going on in my head since DD2 was born and i think it has become an obsessive thought. lol. it wont stop! and it gets louder every day. I dont know what to do. i could not bring myself to plan an accident either. (which is what dh makes it sound like would happen). i am scared stiff to have another, sleepless night, newborn bfing, loads of diapers, hormonal ups and downs, bleh, but i cant stop thinking about little toes and giving birth! help me!

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#11 of 118 Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 AM

Wow, I stink at this thread!

Let's see - last month, I was scared becaused I had a triphasic chart and it was my first confirmed O since the birth of my daughter, so I had no idea how long my luteal phase was. Turns out, 12dpo. I guess it was a truly good O.

This month - I have PCOS and my CM seems to be all over the place, so I normally rely on temps (DH and I use condoms pre-O, well actually post-O too since I have yet to convince him of the fact that you are 100% safe from pregnancy after ovulation. I'm working on that.) I got a temp rise last Friday (CD17) but wasn't expecting O so soon (last month it was CD 42ish), and didn't really feel any "symptoms" of O. Saturday evening, I came down with the stomach flu. It lasted until Tuesday morning (CD 21). I couldn't be bothered to temp because (1) I was sick and (2) the thought of orally taking my temperature made me even more nauseous than I already was. Today, another high temp.

So I'm not sure if I O'd on CD16 or if this is all residual from my stomach flu?? I guess time will tell.

@LionessMom- I am having a similar internal struggle.  In my mind, I know its not a good time to try for a second child. DH is studying for his CPA exam (a process that takes 18months+) and has already stressed himself out to the point of a stomach ulcer. DD is not a great sleeper, we'd like to save up more, I had a hard time conceiving/staying pregnant with DD and became "obsessive" to say the least. Not a place I want to go back to.

But I work with laboring/postpartum women, several friends are all TTC or pregnant, and I can't help but want another. DH is NOT on board, and I would hate myself forever if I staged an "accident", but I can't stop wishing for one.

Jen - 29, part-time LDRP RN and Birth Consultant. DH - 33. Married since 2006. brokenheart.gif 3/09. DD 2010.  Expecting a surprise new one in May 2014!

#12 of 118 Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 PM

I think these feelings people have about another is normal.  I know I get them and we are done too.  I know I am thankful every day for my 3 beautiful boys.  It always seems that with each one it is normal to wonder about one more, lol.  After having 1, I never would have dreamed I would end up with 3 and now with three there are days where I wonder about 4, lol.  I know for us, our family size really is good for us, especially since I work full time.  I think it is just something we go through. 

As for me, I am now post-o.  I had a weird low temp a couple of days ago, not sure what that was about, but jumped back up today.  IT has gotten cooler this month so I see my temps are not as high as they have been.  It is interesting to see how our bodies react to these things. 

Mom to three great boys Michael (Sept/01), Carter (Nov/05) and Reid (March/10).

#13 of 118 Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 PM

Congrats to those having little ones now!

#14 of 118 Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 AM

JMJ~ Can you please answer a question for me? I went in for my OB appointment today. According to my chart I should be 6 weeks 4days along. The sono says I am only 5 weeks 2days along. There was no baby or hb. He said that he could see a yolk sack possibly starting to form, but he didn't see a fetal pole. How likely is it that my chart is that off? I know that things are not looking good, but I am wondering if there is a possibility my chart is off by a few days? Which would mean that there wouldn't be much to see yet. I got my first very faint positive at 10DPO. Thanks for any help.

Nicole
Wife to Victor
partners.gif familybed2.gif, buddamomimg1.png, caffix.gif, large family lovin'SAHM chicken3.gif to my chicklets, Nicholas 9/05 ,Genevieve 1/08, Viviana 11/09 and Michaela 5/11. Plus three angel babies in Jesus' arms. Forever in my heart  angel.gif  7/10 (5.5w), angel.gif  11/11 (11w) & angel.gif 4/12 (8w)

#15 of 118 Old 10-06-2011, 03:32 PM
JMJ

Wow, I totally missed the changeover to the new month.

Congratulations FaithHopeLove!  That's wonderful news!

Welcome, nattery!  Do you have TCOYF or another NFP or FAM manual?  Charting software is great for being able to share your chart, but you have to draw your own conclusions about when you are fertile and infertile.  I've seen a lot of incorrect guesses by Fertility Friend especially about when it thinks people ovulated.  You're not "safe" until you have enough information to tell you that you're "safe," not just because Fertility Friend thinks you ovulated days ago.

Butterflymomma, according to your chart, you should be 6 weeks 3 days along, and that is the most likely case, given that you have 4 different fertility signs lining up to indicate ovulation on September 5.  However, since charting is not an exact science, there is still a possibility that you ovulated as late as September 8th (the reason why you couldn't consider yourself "safe" until September 9th), and while it is technically possible that you could ovulate after that, it is very, very remote... but I wouldn't say impossible, or else there would be absolutely no post-ovulation method failures for NFP, but considering how rare post ovulation method failures are, this would pretty much be a miracle.  The fact that you got a positive pregnancy test is further evidence that you didn't ovulate much (if any) later than you think, but a positive test at 7DPO is not impossible, just very unlikely.  So, the bottom line is that I think the latest that you could have ovulated (though it is quite unlikely) is September 8th, which would put you at exactly 6 weeks today.  I'm not an expert on ultrasound or what exactly they would expect to see at 6 weeks, so I don't know exactly what that all means, but I'm praying for another little miracle for this little baby, and hugs to you as you go through whatever the next couple weeks bring.  Keep us posted.

#16 of 118 Old 10-06-2011, 04:19 PM

No I do not have a manual yet... I've been meaning to get one. It is hard (impossible is a better word) to get english materials in China (at least the city I live in) but I do have a kindle e-reader. Any good titles people could recommend? 

Also, I discovered my thermometer is broken so all the 'charting' I started has gone out the window ha ha. Back to square one! I am going to try to find a thermometer today. 

cheers

Natalie

#17 of 118 Old 10-06-2011, 07:19 PM

JMJ~ Thank you so much for clarifying that for me. I really appreciate it! It does help a bit because if I am only 6 weeks along there wouldn't be too much to see. However, I don't think my dates are that far off especially with all the signs backing up ovulation. Going into my appointment today I felt something was wrong. I told my husband a few days ago that I didn't really feel pregnant. It worried me because in the 4 healthy pregnancies I have had, I have always felt very pregnant by now. With our Angel Baby, I kinda felt like I feel now except our Angel never made it this far.  I am hoping that we will see a little baby with a heart beating away in 10 days, but I am preparing for the worst. I may be joining you ladies again a lot sooner than planned. I will keep you all updated. The waiting is the worst. greensad.gif

Nicole
Wife to Victor

#18 of 118 Old 10-07-2011, 07:42 AM
JMJ

Butterflymomma, waiting IS the worst.  You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Nattery, check out the wikis above, especially the ones on resources and types.  This manual can be downloaded entirely from the internet for free (or a donation if you are able).  Do note that it is from a very conservative Catholic perspective and has very traditional views on gender roles, etc.  If that would bother you too much, choose something else, but if you don't mind, it is really an excellent resource full of details not given in other manuals for simplicity.

Also check out the other resources to see which ones you might be able to get on Kindle.  Most people on this thread use Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler, and you can also find her basic set of rules in the Fertility Awareness Wiki as a quick start.  This is a simpler method if you like that better.  I'm a details kind of gal, so I prefer the Kippley's book above.  I do recommend getting a manual and reading it from cover to cover, though, to help you get a better understanding of everything and increase your effectiveness.

#19 of 118 Old 10-07-2011, 09:20 AM

JMJ~ One last question (hopefully). I am planning to start temping again. I am hoping that if a m/c is going to happen my temps will show it. Is this true or would I be wasting my time? This really bites. greensad.gif

Nicole
Wife to Victor

#20 of 118 Old 10-07-2011, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I'd like to be on board with this thread :)  I recently started charting after having my Mirena IUD removed. I'm still nursing my 15 month old (quite a bit!) and started taking Micronor. I'm charting to get more insight into what my body is doing while on the POP and to see when/if I'm ovulating, and at least have some idea of when I'm more "fertile" than others, despite being on the pill so additional precautions can be taken.  Not ready to TTC anytime soon, although i will admit i already have baby fever! shy.gif

#21 of 118 Old 10-07-2011, 03:06 PM
JMJ

Hugs, butterflymomma.  I'm so sorry you're going through this.  Temping may or may not tell you anything.  High temperatures would be a good sign that you've got good progesterone levels, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the baby is still alive.  The fact that you haven't started bleeding is another sign that you still have reasonably high progesterone levels, and if you did begin to bleed, it would probably be correlated with a big drop in temperature, just as it would be in a regular period.  Low temperatures, especially if coupled with bleeding, would be a sign of poor progesterone, which could be a sign that a miscarriage is coming, though some fluctuations in progesterone, and therefore temperatures, are common.  That's actually one of the theories as to what causes morning sickness since it usually goes away when the placenta takes over progesterone production in the second trimester.  Basically, temping could give you some hints but no answers.  If it would help give you a little bit of a sense of control, go for it.  If it would just cause you to stress out more (if that's possible right now!), you might be better off not temping.  You know yourself best.

#22 of 118 Old 10-07-2011, 04:51 PM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunkie View Post

I'd like to be on board with this thread :)  I recently started charting after having my Mirena IUD removed. I'm still nursing my 15 month old (quite a bit!) and started taking Micronor. I'm charting to get more insight into what my body is doing while on the POP and to see when/if I'm ovulating, and at least have some idea of when I'm more "fertile" than others, despite being on the pill so additional precautions can be taken.  Not ready to TTC anytime soon, although i will admit i already have baby fever! shy.gif

You can certainly try, but hormonal contraception and charting tend not to be a great mix.  The hormones in the pill give signs that are not related to your body's own hormones and can mask what your body is really doing.  It could be an interesting experiment, though.  Keep us posted on how it's going!

#23 of 118 Old 10-07-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

You can certainly try, but hormonal contraception and charting tend not to be a great mix.  The hormones in the pill give signs that are not related to your body's own hormones and can mask what your body is really doing.  It could be an interesting experiment, though.  Keep us posted on how it's going!

Thanks! It looks like I already had a temp dip and thermal shift, and my cervix "matched up" with the temps so far (HS with the temp dip, then immediately LFC after the thermal shift so I think I may have ovulated, but who knows. Maybe it's all out of whack. My CM has been masked this week so I haven't really been able to check it.

So it looks like my body is up to something, time will tell.  I think this charting stuff is interesting and I like learning about it and trying to interpret charts, even if my own charts won't really be of much value. I also want to see if any of my fertility signs match up with my migraines. 

here's my chart so far, I know it's not much, yet. I'll just keep going with it and see what it looks like. The spotting I had was due, I believe, to having the Mirena IUD taken out on day 1 of this cycle. (9/28/11)

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/37efc6

#24 of 118 Old 10-07-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

Nattery, check out the wikis above, especially the ones on resources and types.  This manual can be downloaded entirely from the internet for free (or a donation if you are able).  Do note that it is from a very conservative Catholic perspective and has very traditional views on gender roles, etc.  If that would bother you too much, choose something else, but if you don't mind, it is really an excellent resource full of details not given in other manuals for simplicity.

Also check out the other resources to see which ones you might be able to get on Kindle.  Most people on this thread use Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler, and you can also find her basic set of rules in the Fertility Awareness Wiki as a quick start.  This is a simpler method if you like that better.  I'm a details kind of gal, so I prefer the Kippley's book above.  I do recommend getting a manual and reading it from cover to cover, though, to help you get a better understanding of everything and increase your effectiveness.

Thank you! downloaded the manual, read it, and read a manual I managed to download off Kindle (I'm a fast reader!) 

Also...   I am a silly girl who has NO experience with using mercury thermometers (that's not a bad thing!) but since it's the only kind of thermometer I could get in my area. I did some readings and was impressed with how they always were 37.2'C until I realized it always read that, even if I put it in my fridge. So I was discouraged and stopped taking temps till I could find a decent thermometer. Well after reading the manuals last night I realized you had to SHAKE the thermometer before each use ha ha ha. 

So I am going to start taking temps again and I've gotten all excited to learn and get on with it! whoo hoo! 

Thanks for the help!

#25 of 118 Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 PM

Hugs, Butterflymomma, will think of you!  hug2.gif

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#26 of 118 Old 10-08-2011, 04:37 AM

thinking of you too, butterflymomma.  The waiting and worrying must be so hard.

#27 of 118 Old 10-08-2011, 01:45 PM

Sorry to hear that you're going through this uncertainty Butterflymomma. I hope everything is ok!!

Here's my chart again:.http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33d5d5. Bit mystified as I don't usually ever have spotting in my cycle, but have done the past two days, and i'm only on day 23 so it's really unlikely to be the start of my period. I have had no fertile quality CM since day 15 of my cycle (FF reckons I o'ed on Day 16), until yesterday and today when I have had watery egg-white CM. I know sometimes you can get a bit of EW right before your period but again, it's too early for that. What do you ladies reckon? Have been slightly risky (withdrawal method so not foolproof) so it's not impossible that it is implantation bleeding. I'm prob just being paranoid as i was last month!! 

#28 of 118 Old 10-08-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hugs and hopeful thoughts to Butterflymomma.

#29 of 118 Old 10-08-2011, 06:15 PM

Thank you so much l support means a lot to me. No change so far. I will keep you posted.

Nicole
Wife to Victor

#30 of 118 Old 10-08-2011, 11:50 PM

Thinking of you Butterflymomma.  I meant to come back earlier but did not get a chance with family being here for Thanksgiving weekend.  I hope you get good news.  How amazing to get an ultrasound that early.  I have never had one before 18 weeks other than when I had my m/c.  I remember my next pregnancy being so scared waiting for that 12 week mark when I could hear the heartbeat with the doppler at the doctor's office.  It meant so much to me hear that.  I agree with the others, the waiting is so hard.  I hope you will get to hear the most beautiful sound of your baby's heartbeat very soon. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page