How long did you bleed/spot after IUD implantation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-13-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got the Mirena implanted 6 weeks ago. The first 3 weeks I bled--lighter than a period but heavier than spotting, bright red and mixed with lots of CM. Then it turned dark brown and became lighter. A couple times I thought it was actually going to stop, but nope, more spotting the next day.

So now it's been 6 weeks and the spotting is really light now but still happening every day, enough to require a panty liner. Every now and then I get a super gross string of thick CM.

I got the IUD at 8 weeks postpartum, so out of the 3 1/2 months since I had my baby, between lochia and this stupid IUD, I've been bleeding or spotting constantly except for the 4 weeks after the lochia trailed off but before the IUD. As you can imagine, it is getting *really* old!

I have a follow-up appointment next week to make sure everything's good with the IUD. But I'm just wondering if this is a normal experience. Is the spotting *ever* going to stop?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to remove it if there's no end in sight, and if so that will really suck. I need reliable birth control! We are 99% sure we are done but we haven't committed to the big snip yet.

Has anyone else spotted for a long time after getting the Mirena? Did it eventually stop??
#2 of 4 Old 11-21-2011, 04:46 PM

I have been spotting for almost three weeks since my IUD was inserted, I am frustrated too!. My understanding was that it could take 3 months (worst case scenario) for the bleeding to normalize.  I hope your visit with your  doctor will put you at ease and you will be back to your old self again soon.

#3 of 4 Old 11-22-2011, 07:39 PM

I had a Mirena IUD put in at my 6 week PP appointment (the lochia had only stopped the week before). I had heavy spotting/light bleeding almost every day for the next 8 months until I gave up and had it removed. And by "almost," I mean that I maybe had 5 dry days in that 8 months. It was always heavy enough that I needed a pantiliner, but not enough for a pad/tampon.

My midwife offered me a month of BCPs, saying that sometimes the Mirena thins the uterine lining too much making it constantly slough off and the BCPs might "reset" things. By that point I was so tired of it all that I decided to be done with hormonal birth control forever and had it removed.

Jen - 29, part-time LDRP RN and Birth Consultant. DH - 33. Married since 2006. brokenheart.gif 3/09. DD 2010.  Expecting a surprise new one in May 2014!

#4 of 4 Old 09-22-2012, 03:02 PM

thank you soo much for your experience on the IUD.... im going through the same thing and did'nt know if it was normal but you are going through the same thing so i know it is, I have a fallow up apt. this week so ill ask and see how long its going to last, because this sucks and i know you feel the same way.. but its better safe then sorry I always say... thank you sooo much for sharing your experience it was very helpful

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page