Mothering Forum banner

Ditching The Mini Pill

8K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  trekkingirl 
#1 ·
I have been on the mini pill for almost three months now. My last pack runs out in a week and a half and i don't think I am going to get a refill.

I got my pp af at 6m pp and was bleeding every ten days so my OB put me on the mini pill to regulate my period. Well I spotted the first three weeks and haven't had a period since.

I have taken three pregnancy tests because I just don't trust it. Too many women say they got prgnant while on it. I also never take it at the same time.

My OB didn't bother to tell me that this pill has to be taken at exactly the same time every day. I'm just too spaced out to take it at the same time every day.

Plus it isn't effective if the baby doesn't nurse often enough? Yikes, what if I'm not nursing enough!

I think I would rather have irregular periods. It's just not worth the stress.

commiseration!?!!!
hug2.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
ALL daily hormonal bc has to be taken at the same time everyday to be effective, not just the minipill. Just FYI!

As for commiseration, I also ditched the minipill. If you're looking to fix crazy cycles, you might want to look into into NaPro Technology, since they actually diagnose and treat the reason your cycle is weird, and don't just cover up the symptoms with artificial hormones.

Good luck!

#4 ·
I am not sure that you do have to take other BCP at exactly the same time every day? I thought it was more like dinner time or bed time or your ten minute break before lunch etc. not 7:43pm daily!

I haven't noticed an increase in milk production here. I always seem to have just enough with no extra. I have noticed that my nipples are much more sore than they used to be. Maybe that has to do with teeth.

As for the irregular cycles, I'm pretty sure the cause is breastfeeding and I'm not willing to ween to get normal periods again.

I was talking with DH about it and he agrees that we aren't having sex enough to switch to another form of BC.

#5 ·
It made my milk supply tank.... I chucked it and started doing the Fertility Awareness Method (Taking Charge of Your Fertility). I've heard of sooo many "minipill" babies. Another option you might look into is the Marquette Method using the Clearblue Easy Fertility Monitor. They have a website you can google if you are interested :)

#6 ·
I know I really thought someone would come on here and say oh I got pregnant on the mini pill. It just seems to happen way too much!

thanks for the advice about the other two methods

#7 ·
When i was on the minipill, I also had weird periods. My midwife told me that there are some women who choose to stay on mini-pill all the time, not just while nursing. But it does seem to have a much higher failure rate, even when taken at the same time each day (I always took that to mean within in the same hour each day). However, I have never gotten pregnant while on any kind of pill, so it worked for me. I stopped taking it because it was messing with my moods and emotions.

#8 ·
I had a few days left on my pack and I said to hell with it, and just threw them out. So its been two days and still no period. I thought I would bleed after 24 hours. No spotting or anything
shrug.gif

ETA

I haven't noticed an increase or decrease in my milk yet either. My mood seems better though!

#9 ·
It took me like 72 days to bleed once I stopped the minipill.... and I was breastfeeding my 16 month old. So don't worry too much about that. It's hard to predict what your body will do.

Have you considered charting? (have you read Taking Charge of Your Fertility?)

Good luck :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

I had a few days left on my pack and I said to hell with it, and just threw them out. So its been two days and still no period. I thought I would bleed after 24 hours. No spotting or anything
shrug.gif

ETA

I haven't noticed an increase or decrease in my milk yet either. My mood seems better though!

#10 ·
INFOJUNKIE had your cycles returned prior to starting the mini pill? I had already started my return of cycles. DH and I talked about charting and decided it wasn't for us.

#11 ·
Well what happened was, my son was 16 months old when I got my Mirena IUD removed. Then I started the mini pill and after only 2 weeks I ditched it and decided to use charting to avoid pregnancy. From the day my Mirena was removed, it took 71 days to ovulate and I got my first post partum period on day 80. Now on my second cycle (DS is now 18 months and still nursing) it is day 30 and I still haven't ovulated although it looks like it could happen any day now based on my chart.

Quote:

INFOJUNKIE had your cycles returned prior to starting the mini pill? I had already started my return of cycles. DH and I talked about charting and decided it wasn't for us.

#12 ·
yeah I still haven't had a period since coming off the mini pill even though I had already resumed my cycles. I do feel like it could start any time but I've felt that way since coming off the pill. It"s been about a week and a half.

#13 ·
Still no period!

ETA I took a few dollar store tests (the new assured brand not new choice or whatever the old one was) since I never got my period. All negative! Now I'm thinking maybe it would have been too early to test. Nursing has been really sore but I associated that with teething. Also my uterus has been very tender and firm, so maybe something else is going on like a cyst or something? Also could just be me worrying? I'm having a procedure in a week that's done with x rays so I will for sure test again before that.

#14 ·
It's possible your body is still trying to recover from having the cycle messed up from the minipill. Sore nipples could indicate ovulation, too. I know my nipples get sore around the time of ovulation and nursing feels kind of annoying/yucky.

Quote:

Still no period!

ETA I took a few dollar store tests (the new assured brand not new choice or whatever the old one was) since I never got my period. All negative! Now I'm thinking maybe it would have been too early to test. Nursing has been really sore but I associated that with teething. Also my uterus has been very tender and firm, so maybe something else is going on like a cyst or something? Also could just be me worrying? I'm having a procedure in a week that's done with x rays so I will for sure test again before that.

#15 ·
Just wanted to say thank you for posting this - and for your responses infojunkie! I am a crap mini-pill taker, and at nearly 10 months PP, still no AF - so, constantly pg paranoid! [is it the nursing? is it the mini-pill? is it...(dum dum dummmm)??] :) I also have been having weird crampy feelings, sorer nipples (also attributed to teeth), fatigue, dizziness, etc. this month. Going to test next week. Maybe just hormones being jerked up, down and sideways??? Anyway, sorry I'm not more helpful - but I can commiserate!!! :)

If you are going off the mini pill and not charting, just going to take your chances then? (or has the recent disappearance of AF scared you off of that? ;-) ) Just wondering since I'm in the same camp...

#18 ·
I re tested a few days ago and it was negative so I went ahead and had my procedure today on my back.maybe nursing held my period back again? At target they sell a lifestyles styles sensitive collection with three different types to try.they are far nicer than any other brand I've ever tried. I used to hate condoms but now I feel like they are an option again. Yay!

#20 ·
Well at least that is off your mind! I am still feeling weird, moody, nauseous, etc. but only BFNs to report, so starting to blame the mini-pill! (but why would it get weird after 8 months of being fine???) So, again...commiseration!
orngtongue.gif

#22 ·
Yes - I've been reluctant to quit it (preserving the status quo?), but I am now thinking it may easily be to blame for all of this weirdness. I'm going to call my doctor and see what she says, but I don't think it's doing good things for me - that plus being unreliable (which I didn't really realize before I started searching all these mini-pill posts!) has me asking what's the point?
shrug.gif

Thanks for asking and for your help! If the doc has anything interesting to say, I'll definitely post...

#24 ·
I have been on the mini pill since DS was 6 weeks old and is he now 8 months. I have been happy with taking it. My periods are regular and we aren't pregnant so that is what I was looking for. I am still BFing and I don't feel like the pill has really messed with my supply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.