Forum Jump: 

#61 of 72 Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 AM
JMJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTCChloeOrConner View Post

EVERY SINGLE BIRTH CONTROL I've EVER been has given me debilitating migraines on a daily basis. I'm SO GLAD to see that I'm not alone.

I'm EBF though so I don't know how accurate charting would be if I were to stop the BC. It scares the patooty out of me.

Ick!  I'm so sorry to hear you're in such a tough spot.  I'm assuming that you're not cycling yet with a baby that young?  Do you think it would be worth considering something like Creighton or Marquette?  It's hard to be accurate with all the postpartum confusion, and I can understand why you would be scared, but those two methods in particular do an amazing job at helping you make objective information out of it (and minimizing unnecessary abstinence) with nearly the same effectiveness as the BCP.  Is a very small drop in effectiveness worth not having migraines every day?  Perhaps at least learning about the methods would make you more comfortable with them or at least make it easier to make an informed decision.

#62 of 72 Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 AM

I TOLD my doctor that my BC was giving me migraines so he switched me and it did nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

Quote:

EVERY SINGLE BIRTH CONTROL I've EVER been has given me debilitating migraines on a daily basis. 

it did it to me too. and it got worse over the years. i was on it for almost 20 years total. but i didnt realize that was what was causing it until i quit taking it and my headaches let up. just never crossed my mind that it was connected. doctors never said anything even when i was complaining of daily migraines. 

Me: read.gif, DH: jammin.gif, Two cat.gif, Two dog2.gif, DS: babyboy.gif (10/31/11), DD: babygirl.gif (9/17/13). blowkiss.gif

dizzy.gifcaffix.gifbiglaugh.giffaint.gif

broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif

#63 of 72 Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Sometimes medical doctors have a very difficult time thinking outside the "medical box".  It is somewhat inherent in their training and there is such a huge range in expertise and practice. Many doctors seem to just prescribe a pill for whatever the problem is, although I know all are not like that.  It will be up to you to make the decision on what you are willing to deal with on a daily basis with your health. Migraines are so awful, I know!  Is there a different provider that you could switch to that is perhaps more open to holistic approaches, communicating, and problem solving?  And I really like JMJ's suggestions about Creighton and Marquette for you.

Good luck to you, I know it is frustrating!

Quote:

I TOLD my doctor that my BC was giving me migraines so he switched me and it did nothing.

#64 of 72 Old 01-26-2012, 12:13 PM

picked up Marylin Shannon's book from the library (husband was curious to my book, as i had a john piper e-book up on my computer, and a friend lent me the Hunger Games series, he was getting worried about his wife not just reading nutritional/health stuffs) and have made it halfway through.  enough to go out and get some kelp supplements.  I don't think my diet is going to change to her grain-based one as i cannot eat any grains but quinoa and brown rice, and those are already key in my diet, but was very interested in the PMS, low-thyroid, and night rhythms information so far.  

I've considered taking iodine/kelp supplements for years (since starting to take my BBT) as it was typically 97.2, and sometimes 96.9.  And even mid-day if i take my temp, it's 97 something.  if i have a temp of 99 it's a full-on horrid fever, and if it's over 101, it's strep throat.  So, got some supplements today to try and see if i can change the long cycles, extended fertile mucus phases, and try and make this easier for us! 

called my mom and got the back story that women in my family just have low body temps, low metabolism, and irregular periods.  i just don't do well with just shrugging and saying, okay, guess i'll suffer with it too and so will my daughters.  the low thyroid symptoms made more sense than the PCOS by far, and my numbers have always been good, but my midwife has mentioned that my hands and feet are very cold and that she usually sees that in people with low thyroid function even if 'healthy'.

thanks JMJ and Mt. Gooseberry for your suggestions in this realm.  my husband is totally warming up to the NFP, and his accountability partner (an older gentleman who be both respect and whose children are living much like we are) was very excited about the move towards communication and rhythms within the family.  along with NFP, we've established daily family rhythms of prayer (morning and evening), and a weekly date to go over everyone's schedule and make it work.  Thank you.

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#65 of 72 Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 PM

Where can I read up on those methods?

And no, I have not had a period yet. In fact, I'm coming up on my yearaversary. LOL February 5th was my last menstrual cycle.

Me: read.gif, DH: jammin.gif, Two cat.gif, Two dog2.gif, DS: babyboy.gif (10/31/11), DD: babygirl.gif (9/17/13). blowkiss.gif

dizzy.gifcaffix.gifbiglaugh.giffaint.gif

broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif

#66 of 72 Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 AM

Well, false alarm on the ovulation.  confused.gif My temp went back down after that one higher one and after 2 days of scant sticky cm I'm getting pink or red tinged ew.  What causes the spotting?  I also have some light cramping.  I guess that would have been too easy and convenient to have only one week of abstinence!  Ugh, the sad part is I got hubby's hopes up.

Cassiani,

I feel for you on the long wait.  One thing I have found that helps is to direct your thoughts and prayers outwardly; find a particular person or issue to offer these sacrifices and prayers for and focus on that, especially when things are feeling really tough.  Hope things get easier for you! 

#67 of 72 Old 01-27-2012, 12:24 PM

With Creighton, you have to take a course. It does have a fee but from what I have heard the instructors can work with you on the price.  You can look for a teacher in your area at http://www.fertilitycare.org/

Marquette information is here:  http://nfp.marquette.edu/.  Click on the link for "Breastfeeding protocol" or something like that.  There is also a downloadable .pdf for their Natural Family Planning user guide. The breastfeeding protocol utilizes the Clearblue Easy Fertility Monitor.  I think they also offer a Mucous-only protocol but I'm not as familiar with that one. But all the information is right there on that website :)

Quote:

Where can I read up on those methods?

And no, I have not had a period yet. In fact, I'm coming up on my yearaversary. LOL February 5th was my last menstrual cycle.

#68 of 72 Old 01-27-2012, 03:03 PM
JMJ

I've been sick and unable to do much on the computer for a couple days, so thanks for posting those links, infojunkie.  TTChloeorConnor, on the fertility care link, on the left hand side of the screen, if you click on "Creighton Model" and then "CrMS Background," you can get a reasonably good understanding of how the method turns your CM data into objective fertility data (and other sub-categories under "Creighton Model" would be helpful as well), but, as infojunkie says, you would have to take a class to use this method.  The method relies on the one-on-one teaching model for it's amazing effectiveness.

The Marquette Method has a lot more detailed information on their site, including all of their manuals.  Both Breastfeeding and Coming off of Hormonal Contraception are under the "Special Circumstances" link on the right-hand side of their homepage, and then the links to specific special circumstances are on the left-hand side after that.  Since you are not cycling yet, I'm guessing you would just use the Breastfeeding protocol, but you may need to contact them to be sure about how to combine the two.

Cassiani, I'm glad to hear things are going pretty well.  Marilyn Shannon hasn't convinced me to move to a grain-based diet either, but I love her research connecting fertility chart data to specific nutritional treatments.  I'm glad to hear you're finding some possible answers, and I'm glad to hear that things are going better with your husband's openness to NFP and other aspects of your relationship.  That is really encouraging!

#69 of 72 Old 01-28-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiani View Post

called my mom and got the back story that women in my family just have low body temps, low metabolism, and irregular periods.  i just don't do well with just shrugging and saying, okay, guess i'll suffer with it too and so will my daughters.  the low thyroid symptoms made more sense than the PCOS by far, and my numbers have always been good, but my midwife has mentioned that my hands and feet are very cold and that she usually sees that in people with low thyroid function even if 'healthy'.

thanks JMJ and Mt. Gooseberry for your suggestions in this realm.  my husband is totally warming up to the NFP, and his accountability partner (an older gentleman who be both respect and whose children are living much like we are) was very excited about the move towards communication and rhythms within the family.  along with NFP, we've established daily family rhythms of prayer (morning and evening), and a weekly date to go over everyone's schedule and make it work.  Thank you.

I'm going through the same thing.  My instructor wants me to get my thyroid checked, but I definitely don't have a low metabolism (I burn through calories like crazy).  I personally think it's more likely I have "lean" PCOS. 

My husband is also warming up more to the religious aspect of the NFP lifestyle, but not so much to the NFP itself.  It's still 100% my responsibility and I feel pressured to DTD even when we shouldn't.  It's hard.  But even if I wasn't obligated to use NFP for religious reasons, I'd still want to use it.  It's that superior!

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#70 of 72 Old 01-30-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

I'm currently at 12dpo, which is tied with my longest luteal phase yet, and no sign of af. I'm hoping that it's a result of my attempts to improve my diet and lose weight. (Down eight pounds in a month.) So right now I don't know whether to be pleased or worried.

Oh, and if you didn't post yet this month but want to be included in the February list, please check in.

#71 of 72 Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Oh I hope things turn out for you! I hate the worrying, too.  AF will probably start since you posted about it ;)

8 pounds in a month is fantastic. You should be very proud of yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics girl View Post

I'm currently at 12dpo, which is tied with my longest luteal phase yet, and no sign of af. I'm hoping that it's a result of my attempts to improve my diet and lose weight. (Down eight pounds in a month.) So right now I don't know whether to be pleased or worried.

Oh, and if you didn't post yet this month but want to be included in the February list, please check in.

#72 of 72 Old 01-31-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

The new thread for February is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunkie View Post

Oh I hope things turn out for you! I hate the worrying, too.  AF will probably start since you posted about it ;)

8 pounds in a month is fantastic. You should be very proud of yourself.

Thanks, infojunkie. This morning my temp dropped to the coverline, and I started having spotting and minor cramps so I expect the worrying will be over soon.

Tags
Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page