Deciding on another baby/health issues - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am not sure if many of you have experience with this decision or not - I have two children (5 and 2) and was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. While this is super treatable with diet in theory, in reality it is hard to live an active/on-the-go/travelling life and not come in contact with gluten occasionally. Both of my children were also diagnosed and I feel guilt that I contributed to making their lives a little more difficult. I have been on the diet for a year, but am still healing and am in pain (joint pain/back pain/neck pain) a great deal of the time. I want to have a third child, but I am so tired of living in pain and the physicality of being pregnant and caring for young children can make the pain so much more prevalent. I can't decide if I should quit now - I could regret it. I am so bitter and resentful that I have a condition that would stop me from doing this - but perhaps I need to accept that my body just can't try this again. I am 35 and so I do have some room to allow myself to further heal.

My question is this: Has anyone out there deliberately made the decision to expand the family while knowing it would be physically challenging (I didn't know my first two would be so incredibly hard and I don't regret it, but it was so painful. I didn't know I had Celiac at the time - I am hoping it would not be as bad now.)? What was your experience?

#2 of 2 Old 01-21-2012, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My oldest dd and my dh have celiacs- they were diagnosed less than a year ago and we are learning to live with it.  

Anyway, with my pregnancy with my 3rd, I had back problems, horrible pain, numbness in my legs, I homebirth but I swear if labor hurt as much as throwing my back out, I would get a c-section. Seriously.  I thought I was done.  But I have found that I am suddenly thinking hard about another baby.  It is likely I would have back problems again, according to my midwife (though it was not an issue with 1 or2).  I am trying hard to decide what I can live with, and what I can't live without.   

I don't really have any advice, but just wanted to share that I understand.  I hope you heal, and that you find the decision that gives you peace.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09

Tags
Family Planning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page