EBF baby and possible ovulation? Should I consider emergency contraception? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-08-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

LAM lasted 11.5 months after DD1, and 13.5 months after DD2.  DS is now not-quite 4 mo. and EBF on demand, cosleeping, the works, so I expected LAM to last for around a year as it has in the past.  Nevertheless, I had planned to start the Marquette Method soon (Clearblue Easy fertility monitor is in transit being shipped to me as I type).  However, this afternoon I felt pains in my left side that really felt like the pains I get during ovulation!--and DS and I just had sex last night!!!  I'm freaking out because when I got preggers with DD2, my milk totally dried up.  I can't do that to DS!  I told an ovulation predictor test an hour or so after the pains (ie. as soon as I could get to a drug store) and it shows a negative result but as I understand it, the surge tends to happen before ovulation so I don't know if I can take comfort in this result.  I do not have any fertile CM that I can discern, but my cervix does feel kinda soft.  Should I be considering getting emergency contraception if I definitely do NOT want to be pregnant?? advice?

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

#2 of 5 Old 01-08-2012, 02:25 PM

i have been having o like pains for 2 months and sill dont have my ppaf, but this is my first pp experience so i can just say what is happening to me.  do you remember having o pain right before your cycle the last times, did you ever have it way before the cycle came back?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 5 Old 01-08-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

hmm that's a good question... It's been so long it's hard to remember (DD's are 7 and 9 now).  I will say it doesn't seem to have felt quite as painful as most of my o pains have felt so maybe I'm being paranoid... Also I just started taking karate classes twice/week... could it be some sort of muscle or ligament cramp perhaps?  It's just odd that it would be near the ovary area...  I will say I feel "moister" during this LAM than I did after DDs but it's never the slippery fertile CM as far as I can tell (though I haven't been checking super-regularly).  Also, occasionally, DS will go longer stretches asleep at night (up to 5 hrs a few times)...I'm thinking a call to my mw's tomorrow is in order... Looks like you have a couple days' window of opportunity for the morning after pill.  DH keeps trying to reassure me, but I once got pregnant with a copper IUD in (miscarriage resulted) so I keep worrying that the odds don't apply to us...

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

#4 of 5 Old 01-08-2012, 10:44 PM

I've read a study that indicated that Plan B is ineffective if the LH surge takes place before it is administered.

#5 of 5 Old 01-09-2012, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

see that's the other thing I was worried about--if the morning after pill primarily works by preventing ovulation then it doesn't seem like it would be that effective if you've already ovulated.  I would take solace in that my cm didn't seem fertile so even if it was ovulation the sperm shouldn't be able to swim anywhere, but then again, since I've gotten pregnant with an IUD in that was supposedly making my cm hostile to sperm, I know DH must have hearty sperm that can swim through just about anything...

OT: like your user name (I just finished a MS in physics ;))

Tags
Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page