COPPER COIL AND TERRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-23-2012, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone! I have been on the copper IUD for just more than 2 yrs. 1st 8 months were fine but then things started going downhill for me. My skin started changing, i was using obagi nuderm which cleared my skin closed pores etc and made it porcelain, then it started changing, the skin started getting dull my pores started opening acne was increasing ie blackheads uneven skin texture, even my obagi creams became ineffective my pores have stayed permanantley large and open and my skin is so mangy and acne prone.. then i started getting excema patches all over my neck and my back on a regular basis, i used herbal tablets and cream but it came back later, then i had a large absess spot on my thigh and private area! i couldnt walk for 2 wks and was in agony, when it cleared it left a red mark scar which is still not completley faded... not to mention weight gain fatigue and depression. a month ago i started researching and discovered it must be this frigin dam coil!. I have now had it removed 4wks ago but i still have the side effects left from it is this normal?? my skin is still blotchy pores are still large and overall color dull. will i ever get it back to how it was!!?? has anyone else gone through or is going through this? any good advice from you girls would really help. i am on zinc supplements but no change even my obagi creams are not closing up my pores like they did initially, i just feel such a mess and dont know what to do i have 3 kids and dont know if i may be preggy again with number 4 as i have not used any contraception! i havent even told my husband i took it out! cos he hates condoms and doesnt want to do a vasectomy!! its me thats had to suffer this, i dont feel like going out and i dont work either coz i have lost all my self confidence i just avoid people basically. Is it that iam detoxing? and why are these fucking supplements not working???? pls help someone!!!

#2 of 23 Old 01-23-2012, 04:56 AM

Are you sure it was the IUD? It's possible to develop side effects at any time, but the fact that you had it for months before having any problems makes me wonder if some other factor is at work. Have you talked to your doctor at all? What did they say?

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#3 of 23 Old 01-23-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Hi erigeron! thanks for your reply. all doctors say its not the IUD but i know it must be coz i have always been healthy and my skin was never this bad even before the coil, i have spots embedded in my skin that dont heal its a nightmare, today i have just bought multivitamins and iam going to see if it makes any difference, after reading peoples stories too about their experience iam now convinced about it, as my health is fine and iam always really clean too. If you get any info about anyone else similar to my situation pls post!!!! any advice would be most appreciatedmecry.gif

#4 of 23 Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 AM

I loved my paraguard and have never had any side effects aside from stronger cramping and more of a monthly discharge.  I actually had Mirena taken out because of the horrible side effects it caused.  However, after reading this post it makes me want to research eczema and IUD because I have gotten eczema on the inside of my ear lobes (really odd place, right?) in small patches that are unnoticeable but I know they're there...I also get BV once every month to every other month...I have the same partner of 2 years and we're clean people so it's not like I'm out acquiring this from some random places.  I have also gotten a lot of abcesses in the same area but assumed it was because I recently got an office position...where I sit all day. 

Definitely worth looking into...

#5 of 23 Old 01-24-2012, 12:52 PM

Hi Im 25 ive had the copper coil in since jun2008 and its taken me this long to realise how much of a mistake i made. Im having a cervical smear in a couple of weeks and i am going to get it removed then. I CANT WAIT. Im not going to blame the coil for everything thats gone wrong in my life but i do believe that it has contributed i have suffered from depression, anxiety, fatigue, bv and thrush near enough every month after my period,(which caused a lot of problems in my relationship as i couldnt have sex) aches and pains in joints, back pains, serious PMS.and the main reason im here HAIR LOSS. I have been losing hair mainly at the frontal and crown area slowly but noticably - i cant remember exaclty when it started, however its got to a stage now where you can see my scalp through my hair. its embarrassing. Ive had blood tests, and my iron a vit d came back low so ive been taking supplements with no joy. A couple of weeks ago it really scared me and ive been on the internet every moment i get the chance researching the reasons for my hair loss. Anyway, i finally came across hundreds of forums discussing the iud and its side effects, and so many women in the same position. Have a look at copper toxicity sydrome caused by the copper iud. However i personally think that the mirena coil and the copper coil are equally as bad for you.

I am so annoyed and i find it disgusting and quite scary that doctors are so quick to put in in without warning us.

I have been to the doctors concerning all my side effects and not once have they made the link between them and my iud. So once i have this removed i will only use condoms....... no hormones, no foreign things in my uterus.

SPREAD THE WORD LADIES i dont think theres enough information on this out there otherwise it wouldnt have taken me almost 4 years to find it. Ill be sure to post back when ive had it removed and let you know if the side effects stop.

#6 of 23 Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 AM

Hi, I did a bit of research and came across this
http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/copper_toxicity_syndrome.htm
I had mine taken out and feel a lot better.
Hope it helps others
#7 of 23 Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 AM

Hi, have you done the test yet? How do you feel now. Is the back ache still there?

I just had mine removed yesterday after I read your comment because I started having Pam's and back ache.redface.gif
#8 of 23 Old 06-28-2012, 04:26 AM

Hi aunaturelle, do you feel better now since you removed the iud? I had mine of 6 months removed yesterday after reading your comment because I started having backache and Pms.
#9 of 23 Old 07-15-2012, 05:41 AM

Hi! I posted my story on another forum on IUD side effects. I am copying it here and I also wanted to let you know that after a month I had my IUD removed I am feeling A LOT better. Every day is better than the previous one. I still have acne though. I think it will take more time for my body to readjust. Also I decided to have my hair tested so I have a clear answer about copper levels in my body. I hope this helps!!

This is the other post:

I am so happy that I found this threat. It helped me to finish unravelling what was going on with me these past couple of months. I got my IUD after I gave birth my second child on December 2010 since I didn't want to have another baby. I researched first and never found anything too bad about the copper IUD. I guess I didn't do a good job... On January 2012 while I was on vacations with my family and resting a bit for the first time in many years I started feeling a sadness in my stomach that it seemed that it didn't belong to me but I couldn't stop feeling it. I thought that I might have been denying some sadness because of the loss of a friend some months before so I started therapy. This didn't help much because the anxiety, panic attacks, and depression wouldn't stop growing and I kept blaming myself because I couldn't believe I was feeling sad with all the reasons I had to be happy: two beautiful children, a great partner, a good job. So I ended up seeing a psychiatrist that gave me an antidepressive treament that made me feel better. So I kind of closed the case and thought I was depressed. However on June I started having this sensation in my stomach again. The only difference was that it came with a great deal of cramps. That's when I started thinking that there could be a link between depression and the copper IUD. So I went back to the internet and I found this thread that led me to a lot of additional information. 

Obviously I decided to get the IUD removed a month ago and the sensation in my stomach disappeared days after. I told the story to my psychiatrist and he said that it could be possible and I stopped with the mental health treatment a week ago. I am feeling better day after day but I decided to go deeper in my research. I am from Argetina and I decided to do an in depth research in order to see if I can demand the Bayer Company. I don't think that the IUD should be taken out of the market but I believe that at least they should inform Clients better on what could be the possible side effects so every one can do an informed decision. Also, if I get enough empirical evidence I plan to put all the information I find on a website and give to the press: I want woman to know that depression, anxiety, panic attacks could be a side effect of the copper IUD. Consequently, I will continue reading your post and if you have any interesting link, please resond to this post.

Thank you all for taking the time to share to story, you helped me enormously.

PS: While I had the IUD I went to see a dermatologist because I was with a lot of ACNE and I am 37 years old! She made my check my hormones and everything came back normal.

#10 of 23 Old 08-31-2012, 01:19 AM

Hi Everybody...

There needs to be more advances in Male Contraception! If gender equality really existed then this issue wouldn't fall almost solely on the females in society, but it does.

Anyway, with regard to the copper coil, my experiences match yours precisely, terrible black feelings of depression despite having a good life - started therapy etc, my husband witness to everything - he's a doctor - he never put 2 & 2 together either....I KNOW ITS THE COIL, so I had it removed 2 weeks ago but no change yet, still v sore and swollen lower abdomen, but psychological improvement within few days. I am amazed at the power of such a little thing to affect your whole mental state, to the point of thinking everything in my life was terrible, and it convinces you life is not worth living - very dangerous - also v bad for children, they pick up on our mental states v easily and it affects them, no matter how much we try to pretend everything is ok when they are present!

Ladies - don't get it if you can avoid it - there is not enough collated evidence from users and nobody is making the link between the physical and the psychological! People are to quick to think women are prone to these kind of mood swings anyway, and the coil goes under the radar!

Get some iron tablets, evening primrose, st johns wort and B6 and get alternative contraception, but please tell GP coil is affecting yr brain chemistry adversely, its not until enough of us say it that anything will be done.

We are to blame if we do not put our point across.

fkothansen likes this.
#11 of 23 Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 AM

If you feel like sharing your detoxing experiences or asking for detoxing advices join http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/copperiuddetox/. You just have to go to that url and press join! Let's help each other heal from this awful experience!

Love,

Flor

#12 of 23 Old 09-25-2012, 01:04 AM

Having had the copper coil fitted around 4 months ago i started to feel very emotional, and also very irritable at the drop of a hat. Having come off antidepressants at the same time i put these side effects down to my body adjusting to not having my anti depressants. 

When i first had the coil fitted i was in lot of pain and discomfort to the point i was in bed for nearly two days and ended up back at the clinic because i thought i might have a perforation's. I was advised that there was no problem with my coil, that i just needed to give my body a chance to adjust.

The cramps were severe and sporadic but i persisted with it, until yesterday when i went into a health shop to get advice on joint pain i am having, i told the assistant that i had come off antidepressants recently and i thought that this might be a cause as i am fit and go to the gym 4 times a week. While she was chatting i had a severe cramping pain in my stomach so intense i thought i was going to faint. The woman brought me a chair to sit on and asked me what was wrong? I explained i have terrible cramps from the time i had my coil fitted. She looked at me with a surprised  look and explained that i should go straight back to my doctor and have it removed as this is most probably the cause of my joint pain due to a copper imbalance in my body.

I found this forum this morning and felt i should share my story with you all. I am so angry not only with myself for not having it removed sooner, but also with the lack of information given in the first place which would have led me to make an informed decision about the coil. If i had known then what i know now, i would never have had it fitted.

#13 of 23 Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 PM

Yes please join the Yahoo group!!! We are supportive and growing in members and tools to in recovery- as each of has walked a different path to this point, your view point will be of value!

#14 of 23 Old 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM

I thought the copper coil had no hormones in it therefore cannot give such side affects i have opted to have that because it has no side effects
#15 of 23 Old 11-04-2012, 11:43 PM

I am posting this in a few places because when I was desperately searching for information, I could never find a post where someone had it removed and reported back. So here's my experience.

I HAD the copper IUD (paraguard).

I had been on the ortho cyclen pill for 10 years and was fine on it, but decided I wanted to get off hormones, so I decided to get the IUD.

Insertion was EXTREMELY painful… perhaps because I have not had children. The pain lasted for a a few days but with advil and a hot water bottle, it was manageable. I experienced that same pain for the first few days of every period, which was longer (7 full days) and much heavier, than when I was on the pill.

But this I could manage…. until about two months after the insertion, extreme and painful acne developed EVERYWHERE (back, neck, chest, face, head). It got progressively worse for about 3 months before it started to get better. But only slightly. It balanced out to a frequent, continual, never waivering uprising of deep-rooted acne, even where I had never experienced any type of blemish (jawline, neck, cheeks, temples). And not only that but my skin changed completely – it was extremely dry (always been moist before) and my color was gone… leaving my skin looking dull and a bit grey.

My doctors told me that my IUD could not be causing this acne or the skin tone change and that I had developed adult acne (because I didnt have much in my teenage years before getting on birth control) and that the pill had been keeping my skin clear. So I believed them and i tried everything to address the acne short of getting on accutane (topicals, supplements, scrubs, face washes, etc).  

But I finally had enough after 11 months and thought i would rather get back on birth control pills than live like this. I had the IUD removed and within a DAY my skin had improved – the small bumps were disappearing, my skin tone was better, and some of the moistness returned. Within TWO WEEKS it was almost perfect again. And NO, I did not get back on birth control... nor do I plan to now. And no, nothing else changed in my life… in fact there was more stress and less sleep during this time. 

This was a cause and effect scenario… not a coincidence. While the IUD is great for many people, it was not for me.

The other things that bothered me: It definitely was not comfortable in certain positions, sex hurt at times, I gained weight (though I am not sure the IUD was the immediate cause)

#16 of 23 Old 11-09-2012, 02:58 PM

Hi all

I found this thread as was searching for answers !! I have had the copper coil in for over a year now and I've started suffering with acne but spots that don't surface and feel big under the skin !! I'm 31 so thought I might be suffering with adult acne but reading the comments on here it must be related to this coil !!

I wash everyday , scrub my face , cleanse exfoliate and everything else and still my skin gets worse its driving me mad !! I have discharge mist of the month down below and terrible period pains on and off even if I'm not due a period ??

Think I might get it taken out but as I've tried all sorts of contraceptive I don't know what to do ?? I've 2 children already and my husband and me do not want anymore
#17 of 23 Old 11-10-2012, 12:43 PM

If you are interesteed please know that you can read more information here on detoxing, others symptoms w/ and w/o IUD. This is a group of Wmoen supporting eachother..It is vital to everyones recovery to gain as much knowledge as we can! Yahoo link: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/copperiuddetox/members?o=6.  There is resource material as well in the Database portion of the forum too. Many blessings!

fkothansen likes this.
#18 of 23 Old 12-05-2012, 03:19 PM

Flor, I am sorry I'm new trying to figure this all out. I got my iud removed today and am very nauseous. I tried joining the yahoo group to see if others experienced this but it gave me an error message. I had my iud three years. First one two years and body expelled and second one a year and body started to expel. Any help would be appreciated. I'm taking a urine sample Sunday to see about my copper levels. I've had anxiety depression hair loss heart palpitations acne you name it. Thanks. Vanessa
#19 of 23 Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 PM

All I have to say is THANK GOD FOR THE INTERNET!! I have been bawling my eyes out all day reading all of these posts from so many women who have lost control over themselves, and I feel like I FINALLY have answers, and that I AM NOT THE ONLY PERON GOING THROUGH THIS!!  For the first time in a year, I feel hopeful and not helpless...I feel relief that I am not the only woman experiencing this torture from my Paragard!!  For almost a year now, I have been suffering from progressively SEVERE symptoms... cramps (ones that make me see stars and feel faint), extra heavy bleeding from anywhere to 1-9 days during menstration, painful ovulation, depression, anxiety, mood swings, hot flashes, nausea, weight loss (which doesn't sound like a terrible side-effect, unless you aren't able to really eat anything at all and are wasting away to nothing), extreme fatigiue, short temper, I have started to develop a phobia of leaving my house, I had to be medically withdrawn from college and work...the list goes on and on...to sum it up I feel like something has taken over my body, when my period is over, I feel like I am coming out of a fog. I have about 10 good days a month, and let me tell you for a single mother raising a son on her own, I have been feeling like a failure for the past 6 months.  After going to my GYN and not getting the results or answers I wanted, (and feeling as though she was not really listening to what was going on), and kept insisting the Paragard could never cause those kind of symptoms), I decided to change doctors.  After a few tests (all coming back normal), and having her actually listen to me, we decided taking the paragard out was the best option for me.  Today is day two of having it removed, I have had little cramping, but I am feeling very shaky and faint today, and am having a thick, maroon colored discharge, with tiny clumps of something in with it...is this normal??  Has anyone else experienced these kind of side-effects after having their IUD taken out? 

I am so thankful to have found these forums, it is an extreme help already to know that other women are experiencing these side-effects with their Paragard!  I wish I would have researched a long time ago, or that information of Copper Toxicity was given at the time of insertion.  I would have saved me a year of feeling so inadequate as a mother, sister, aunt, friend, girl friend, student, driver, employee...I have holed myself and my son in my house, afraid to leave for fear of losing my temper,  or having a panic attack, when I was not that kind of person before. 

I am so relieved to have that thing out of my body and am hoping to get closer and closer to being myself again little by little every day! 

#20 of 23 Old 07-24-2013, 04:00 PM

I am another one that says thank god for the Internet. Had copper coil fitted for the first time to help heal up a procedure I had done in hospital but 2-3 days later I started getting really bad panic attacks, low feelings, crying, didn't sleep a wink for 3 nights straight, didn't want to eat, never wanted to do anything just cry. The panic attacks were worse than ever and literally left me on the brink. Lucky one night when I was walking there floor with my attack I wrote in copper coil side effects and came to here and when I read people's posts I was so happy I wanted to cry. My doctor and nurse told me it couldn't be the coil and to leave it in so I had leaving me spending another 2 (very long days and nights) suffering again until I read all these posts. I went straight to the nurse when surgery opened and demanded it to be taken out. In one breath she said the copper coil didn't have side effects like what I was describing then in the next I said I'm a wreck when will the side effects go away now it's out and she replied with "immediately". I left the surgery and it was within about 30mins unnoticed my panic had subsided the pain in my stomach home the depression feelings lifted and had a great day. Doctors and nurses need to add more side effects to theses drugs so we can be more aware as I'd never have had the coil in. Thank you for your threads guys it saved my life and sanity xxx
#21 of 23 Old 08-13-2013, 10:17 AM

Thank you all for sharing your experiences relating to the coil, without them I think I would have thought I was going mad!

I recently took the advice from doctor's and nurses to opt for a copper coil as they confirmed it came with minimal side effects - just heavier periods, however within hours I discovered this was not to be the case; suffering with hot flushes, exhaustion, fatigue, light headedness, severe headaches, sore eyes, tingling sensation in my face, aching and weak limbs, discomfort when moving, non stop bleeding, tearfulness, personality changes and a feeling as if my body was gradually shrivelling up or shutting down.

Only through desperation did I search online to see if this was ever experienced by anyone else and to my surprise it didn't appear to be uncommon. What has really taken my breath away is that through the whole process no professional ever mentioned any of these symptoms, even if it was to indicate it was only a minority that suffered from such unbelievably horrendous discomfort, which I find so neglectful, even if it does work perfectly well for the majority its still good to be fully informed when trying to make a decision about something so important.

Having had the coil fitted on the Friday I had it promptly removed on the following Monday; fortunately all symptoms apart from a swollen and sore stomach have ceased, as a result and now in retrospect if anyone was considering this method of contraception I would recommend it's left completely alone, why I didn't question it before.....that surely if you implant a foreign body into the body, copper of all things, it's highly likely the body will want to reject it, as I'm convinced was the case for me.

I truly hope no other unsuspecting females have to go through what some of us have endured, and that everyone recovers fully and stays well.flower.gif

#22 of 23 Old 08-23-2013, 03:06 PM

Hi.im new to site but ive been reading up on side effects with paragard.I was feeling great.working out.happy.in great relationship...I got copper iud in sept..I started feeling a bit anxious...then month by month it got worse...I got horrible anxiety.panic attacks.depressed.mood.swings.rage.dizziness.feeling spacey...like in a fog.like I felt my brain wasnt working.I could barely walk to bathroom wout holding on to walls.work suffered...relationships suffered...looks suffered.I had horrible acne.a weird rash.hair thinning...just looked like hell.I seriously thought I am dying or going crazy...of course I thought just really bad anxiety...I tried EVERYTHING for anxiety and nothing worked.until I prayed on it...up popped on tv...a reality star was having issues w her iud..so im like omg thats what it cld be.iud...I researched copper toxicity or copper imbalance...and a lot of the symptoms I had...so anyway I got iud removed today...so im hoping and praying it is this and I feel like me again.
#23 of 23 Old 05-13-2014, 05:23 AM

This thread and others has saved me from genuinely thinking I have lost control of my life. I opted for the copper coil after having my daughter and got it removed yesterday, over 3 years later. These past three years have almost made me give up, making me near impossible to deal with-very short tempered, has nearly broken my relationship with my amazing partner and a depressed, anxious, over-emotional mother afraid to leave the house is something no child should have to deal with.

I am yet to see if this thing has ruined my chances at university as my motivation, energy, general get up and go has completely vanished not helped by constantly achy joints, back ache, cramps, digestive problems. 

After removal I felt cramps and was sure I would bleed buckets but nope nothing. From day 1 I have had overly painful extremely heavy periods and the copper coil often made these longer and impossible to deal with pain wise but my previous experiences of the pill made me determined to stick it out. I'm happy to say that I woke up this morning looking forward to the day (washing up and laundry, yay!) but seriously for the first time in over 3 years that feeling and knowing I'm still capable of it is truly amazing.

I hope others find this thread and come into the same realizations because nothing in the world can beat it. 

Tags
Family Planning , Fertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page