Birth Control choice for my teen girls - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi.  We are ready to start a birth control method for both of my 15 yr old girls.

Condoms always, everytime.

But they want to be doubly protected from pregnancy-  what do you all think??

What would be the best choice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 02:48 PM

My 20 year old has used the Nuvaring quite successfully for over four years. She admits she wishes she was brave enough to get a Mirena... but she's squeamish about that.

What have you talked about with your girls?

Old 02-18-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

They seemed interested in the Implanon bar- I lean towards pills or patch to start with then maybe the depo- shot??

I want to see how the hormones affect them first- but ultimately it's up to them.

I'm curious about how other have dealt with this either with children or in their own lives.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:03 PM

As a teen i tried the Pill (microgynon) and Depo.  I used condoms each and every time too - but to me THOSE were for my health, the BCP's were to be doubly sure about any potential baby's health (by definitely NOT creating one)!

I liked the BCP's, i was responsible enough to take it reliably and it was easy to stop if hormonal issues occurred.  The depo shot did NOT agree with me, i spotted all the time and bled on and off and the nurse gave me a second one, telling me it'd settle down.  Due to this i bled in total every day for 9 months which a) precluded the NEED for birth control and b) left me anaemic.  I would recommend trying the minipill first because if THAT suits then the depo is less likely to cause issues (it's the same hormone, just a lower dose).

As an adult i have had the mirena and the copper iud, both of which i like but neither of which i think i would have liked before my babies had stretched out my cervix.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:32 PM

In addition to whatever birth control method your DD's choose - I would teach them a little bit about their own fertile signs, if you have not already.

Even knowing that certain cervical mucous equals fertility and that sperm can live for 5 days have probably saved me from an unexpected pregnancy or two  (wow, honey, this is a really lousy time of month to use withdrawal only….)

Old 02-18-2012, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I didn't like Depo when I was on it (I gained weight), but I work in reproductive health and many of our teenage patients love it.

partners.gif  +babyf.gifjoy.gif

Old 02-18-2012, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I loved Depo, but did gain weight on it. I had increased (and severe) migraines on NuvaRing, but loved its simplicity otherwise. I took Ortho Tricyclen BCP, and found they were fine, but I was bad at taking them consistently so I didn't stay on them long. However my sisters both had no problems taking their pills regularly and are still on them. 

Really, it depends on their reactions to it, but I am with you in saying I would try something they could stop if they had a reaction. My one sister had psychotic episodes as a reaction to the first type of BCP she tried. My mom had to take her to the doctor because she didn't remember them afterwards, and wouldn't have known there was a problem without my mom telling her.

I later used FAM successfully for 5 years, then 1 month to conceive, but I am hesitant to recommend it to a teen. But knowing about it may be helpful to them later.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealic View Post

I later used FAM successfully for 5 years, then 1 month to conceive, but I am hesitant to recommend it to a teen. But knowing about it may be helpful to them later.

Yes.  I learned about it in my teens years - but did not really use it until well into my 20's.  I still liked know my safer times, though!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:16 PM

I was on depo in my early 20s and while I loved the convenience of it, I gained a lot of weight and spotted constantly.  Very annoying.  I was on it for over a year or two and total constant spotting.

In my late 20s I was on Nuva ring and thought that worked the best for me.  Once a month convenience without the spotting.  Kept the weight.

DD#1 arrived 2/7/10!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I went on Depo at age 16, I used it for several years. I loved it, no weight gain, never once had a period or any break through bleeding. I don't know if I would use it now as an adult, but as a teen it was perfect, I only had to think about it every 3 months. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 AM

I definitely suggest the book "Cycle Savvy" by Toni Weschler - it's like TCOYF for teens.  I was Charting To Avoid by age 16 (with condoms as well), and it's really easy. As well, it's great to let your girls get to know their bodies - and it's a good way to keep all those artificial hormones out of them. I tried the Pill for a month - it made my moods 100x worse than they were with my normal raging teenage hormones.

Doula/breastfeeding counselor/car seat tech partners.gif forever in love with my big, strong construction man.

Birthmom since Jul/09 adoptionheart-1.gif

Early losses Jan/10 (7w), Aug/11 (5w), Jul/12 (5w)

joy.gifDD Jan '14

femalesling.GIF novaxnocirc.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif ecbaby2.gif cd.gif 

Tags
Family Planning
User Tag List