DH & I have decided we would like one more child; We currently have 3. He even said he'd do a vascectomy reversal :)
Our issue is this - DH had the vasectomy while I was pregnant with baby #3 because of ABO blood type incompatibility issues that arise after birth in the baby. They end up with severe jaundice, each has spent a week in the hospital under the phototherapy lights. DD (#3) had to have IvIg as well to help combat it. Each baby has had more severe jaundice (which in my readings about ABO jaundice is unusual). We are concerned that if we have a 4th baby, then it would have severe enough jaundice to require a blood exchange transfusion - something we very much do not want to experience.
I have O+ blood and DH has A+ blood. (This ABO incompatibility is not to be confused with RH issues.) My oldest is A- blood type, my second (according to the hospital) is type AB+ (we strongly suspect this is wrong, but haven't had it checked) and my daughter is A+. I strongly suspect DH only makes babies with blood type A, which creates issues for my type O body that makes anti-A antigens.
We have discussed going the route of a known donor - even found a potential donor. However, we are discovering the potential for drama in that solution and are completely not drama people. So at this point, we are back to trying to find out if there is anything else we can do to prevent this issue if we decide to go for #4.
Does anyone here happen to know if there is anyway to help prevent this issue?
|28 members and 9,825 guests|
|archcherub , arwen521 , GFtoDivorcedDad , girlspn , happy-mama , hillymum , incorrigible , IsaFrench , jamesbrown , junkyard2 , justlizzy , Lily Leung , lisak1234 , mama24-7 , momys1 , rhutes , RollerCoasterMama , shantimama , Skippy918 , Socks , stephaniepifer , TobyS , transylvania_mom , Vapon , wilson4u04 , writeallie|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 01:21 PM.|