Permanent birth control in a young woman - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any experiences with being young and deciding upon permanent birth control?

I'm 21 with 2 kids already(3 year old and almost 2 year old) my husband and I are hoping to really get the ball moving with  TTC #3, but that's the most children we want. Assuming I get pregnant quickly, I'd be a bit over 22 by the time new baby is born. We KNOW 3 is all we want biologically(and probably completely), we want a small-ish age gap between our children, for our lifestyles and careers it's what we can afford financially, etc. I've heard stories from people who had the same plans but couldn't find a doctor willing to do permanent steps on a younger mother. Any first hand knowledge would be great! I'm looking into me being the one who gets the procedure done and debating between Adiana and Essure, I refuse to get my tubes tied.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#2 of 9 Old 03-31-2012, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I asked my doc about this when I was 23 with 3 kids and she said "no way, you might want to have kids with someone else one day". Well she was right and I have had 3 more kids. Thinking about TTC again in August so my only experience is that it didn't happen and now I have a bunch more kids. I wouldn't change a thing. I am thinking about permanent BC in 5 years when I turn 40.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#3 of 9 Old 03-31-2012, 07:26 PM

Possible scenario: your husband dies.  You re-marry.  You desperately want to have one more child.  But you can't.  Something to think about...I'm 25, I have 3 kids, so I understand what you're feeling, I just could never do it because of the above possibility.  

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#4 of 9 Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Implanon is more effective than sterilization, lasts 3 years, and is completely reversible (without having something in your uterus).  Maybe if you get turned down you can try a long term method and ask again when you're "old enough".

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#5 of 9 Old 04-21-2012, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimomma View Post

I asked my doc about this when I was 23 with 3 kids and she said "no way, you might want to have kids with someone else one day". Well she was right and I have had 3 more kids. Thinking about TTC again in August so my only experience is that it didn't happen and now I have a bunch more kids. I wouldn't change a thing. I am thinking about permanent BC in 5 years when I turn 40.

I'm scared of the doctor saying that lol! Congratulations on all your babies, though :) 6 is my dream number of children, but settled on 3. 

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#6 of 9 Old 04-21-2012, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post

Possible scenario: your husband dies.  You re-marry.  You desperately want to have one more child.  But you can't.  Something to think about...I'm 25, I have 3 kids, so I understand what you're feeling, I just could never do it because of the above possibility.  

I've thought about that, but I would always be upfront with every guy I would ever possibly get involved with, I'd hope if we wanted a baby bad enough, there's always adoption.. I'm so torn though, even in the few weeks since I've posted this, I've gone back and forth with deciding such a thing. Perhaps it's a sign NOT to do the permanent route yet!

#7 of 9 Old 04-21-2012, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

Implanon is more effective than sterilization, lasts 3 years, and is completely reversible (without having something in your uterus).  Maybe if you get turned down you can try a long term method and ask again when you're "old enough".

Implanon doesn't mix with my body at all :(. I've been torn even since posting this, so I figure that's the sign to NOT do anything extreme. I need to find a long term birth control that works well!

#8 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanmomma View Post

I've thought about that, but I would always be upfront with every guy I would ever possibly get involved with, I'd hope if we wanted a baby bad enough, there's always adoption.. I'm so torn though, even in the few weeks since I've posted this, I've gone back and forth with deciding such a thing. Perhaps it's a sign NOT to do the permanent route yet!

Yes...please do listen to yourself.  There's always an IUD or something else that can be more long term without being permanent.  I know someone who had four kids at 24 and basically was pressured into having their tubes tied.  She too was having problems with it (didn't want to, but her mom and husband wanted her to have it).  Well, she regretted it.  Now years later, her circumstances have changed and she's now saving up for a tubal reversal.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#9 of 9 Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 PM

I have friends that have been in similar situations and had issues with this. I'd say the best thing you can do is get an IUD. To be clear, that's not because I don't think you know your own mind about this, but because it could be a good way to transition into permanent BC. You can always shop around for doctors that will put you on the permanent, but I'd be afraid of getting pregnant again while I was looking around. And the other posters are right, doctors can be really hard to convince, even when it's a matter of health problems.

Life is either a great adventure, or nothing.  -Hellen Keller 

Tags
Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page