Charting to Avoid/Ferility Awareness March - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

flower.gif   March 2012  flower.gif

Welcome to the March 2012 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); some are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" or pregnant and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post last month, you may have been deleted from the list. If you have joined recently, please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If you were mistakenly deleted, you would like to be added/removed, or you spot anything you would like me to change, please post or PM me to let me know. Remember, you must post in March if you want to be on the February list!

To those who are new, welcome! Welcome.gif

Who We Are

AKFamily

birdie.lee

blessedwith7 BFPChart2.gif

Buterflymomma BFPChart2.gif

canadianhippie

CarsonBookworm

Cassiani

infojunkie BFPChart2.gif BFPChart2.gif

JenRN

Kat216 BFPChart2.gif

lactatinggirl

librarygirl BFPChart2.gif

Lily's_Mom

MaryLang

mtgooseberry

OneWithTwo BFPChart2.gif

physics girl BFPChart2.gif

TTCChloeOrConner

vrclay

Graduates

Pregnant! belly.gif

lactatinggirl (January 2012)

JMJ (March 2012)

alyadri BFPChart2.gif (March 2012)

justKate BFPChart2.gif (STM) (April 2012)

miss_honeyb BFPChart2.gif  (April 2012)

FaithHopeLove29 BFPChart2.gif

Lionessmom BFPChart2.gif

Wiki Resources for Charting to Avoid

Reasons to Choose Natural Family Planning - Why would you want to use charting to plan your family, anyway?  Feel free to add your own reasons for charting!

Types of Natural Family Planning - It's not just the rhythm method.  They've got this down to a science with options galore!

NFP or FAM Methods While Breastfeeding - You have options in the postpartum period while your fertility is returning!

Resources For Learning About Fertility Cycles - Find books to read or websites to visit, find an instructor, post your chart online, and learn about how your diet affects your fertility.

Fertility Awareness Method - A quick-start guide to the Fertility Awareness, a version of the Sympto-Thermal Method taught by Toni Weschler in her book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

Common Abbreviations for Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness - BBT, EWCM, TCOYF, and more!  Learn what all these crazy acronyms mean here.

Happy Charting Everyone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 64 Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome to the March thread, everyone.

I don't have a lot to report, other than that last month I had several days in a row with a very messed up sleep schedule so I let charting go for the remainder of the month, which doesn't matter much since I'm still just charting for information. I'm on cd 2 now, and very eager to get back to charting.

#3 of 64 Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 PM

Thanks, physics girl!

CD1 here. Actually, a pretty bad day - started during a presentation I was giving and I knew I was in trouble but couldn't get to the bathroom for almost an hour. Yuck. So the rest of my work day was rather unpleasant (I live too far from work to run home and change and i had on black pants so I just dealt with it). Sorry, probably TMI. I should have been more prepared but ...hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

Either I was off on my O day or my LP was short this month. I thought I O'd on CD18 (based on peak day with CM), giving me an 11 day LP. I almost always have a 13 day LP. I don't know. I was expecting to start Wednesday, not today.

Happy March everyone!

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#4 of 64 Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 AM
JMJ

Thanks for the new thread, physicsgirl, even in the midst of being so busy.  Librarygirl, that stinks.  I'm glad you made it through the day, and I hope today is better.

#5 of 64 Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 AM

hi! i am stalking and learning so i can do it again in! i have about 3 months left till this baby is due. then it is back to keeping an eye on mucus for signs of returning fertility. i love reading all the posts in here about mucus. lol. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#6 of 64 Old 03-06-2012, 07:41 AM

Thanks, JMJ, it will be just fine. The day actually ended up pretty good. I decided to go to the gym and exercise those bad cramps away and felt inspired to not just walk but actually RUN! I ran for the first time in 3 years and enjoyed it quite a bit. Compared to my sister who is a half-marathoner, it was nothing, but I was happy with myself. Really working on trying to lose some weight and get fit. I had amennorhea (sp?) for about a year when I was even more overweight than I am now and when I started to lose weight, my cycles were absolutely insane. When I had lost about 30lbs, they came back to normal and have been since, but whenever I get a wonky cycle (longer or short LP or whatever), it reminds me that I still have ways to go on my health/fitness journey. I have just been maintaining for about 6 months now and my diet hasn't been ideal (I have type 2 diabetes so it's very important) so it's time to get my butt in gear.

Now to do some laundry and zumba before heading to work.

have a wonderful day everyone!

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#7 of 64 Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 AM

Lionessmom, where else can you talk about cervical mucus? winky.gif

#8 of 64 Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post

Lionessmom, where else can you talk about cervical mucus? winky.gif

i haven't found anywhere else! ;)

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#9 of 64 Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM

#10 of 64 Old 03-06-2012, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Happy March everyone!

So I know anything goes in the first 8 weeks PP, but I'm just curious about something. I'm just past 6 weeks now and haven't bled in a couple of weeks at least. After DTD the other night though, I started bleeding again. It's seriously like DTD caused it. Immediately after was some very light spotting that increased over the next maybe 24 hours, and now is decreasing again. Anyone else every heard of or experienced this?

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#11 of 64 Old 03-07-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Librarygirl, I am impressed by your running, especially considering I spent Sunday morning in bed clutching a heating pad. I always hear about how much exercise helps with cramps, but during the worst of it, I can never manage to actually try it. Also, congrats on losing 30 pounds and maintaining your loss.

#12 of 64 Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 PM
JMJ

Lactatinggirl, yes.  That can happen.  BFing can make things really dry, so DTD is more likely to cause you to bleed a bit, especially in the earlier postpartum.  Ignore any DTD-related bleeding.

Birdie.lee, that is a very good question.  I suggest you look at the NFP/FAM while breastfeeding link above.  You have a lot of options.  You would absolutely want to start charting if you experienced any spotting or bleeding of any kind (even if it is before 6 months - as soon as you experience any bleeding, you are no longer eligible for LAM), or, depending on how you are breastfeeding, your baby's needs, and your own physiology, it may be much longer than 6 months before your body even starts thinking about ovulating.  This is kinda one of those areas that you have to make a decision about what your needs for effectiveness are and what signs your body is giving you.

Personally, I started charting at about 6 months postpartum, but there was nothing to chart, so I stopped.  I just loosely kept an eye out for CM.  Once you know what you're looking for, it's really rather obvious.  I'm sure I ignored some not-so-obvious stuff, but when you're talking about your fertility returning while breastfeeding, the signs are very likely to be pretty darn obvious.  When my daughter was about 18.5 months old, I had 4 days in a row of stretchy, fertile CM, and I decided it was time to break out the old thermometer.  (I was doing ecological breastfeeding and have a number of other factors that make my fertility more likely to return later.)  A month later, I had a bit of spotting, and two months later, I ovulated and then had a period.

Temping can be tricky.  Different women's bodies respond differently to sleep disturbances.  We don't normally sleep through the night anyway, and most of us don't need solid sleep to get good temperature data.  If you're cosleeping and just waking up to nurse, as long as you're taking your temp at about the same time, it's not likely to be a problem.  If your baby is in the other room that's 10 degrees cooler, and you're getting up several times a night to walk down the hallway, sit in a cold rocking chair to nurse your baby back to sleep for half an hour or longer, that's much more likely to cause an issue, though some women's bodies may be able to handle it and still give them good temp readings.

The tricky thing is that temp doesn't tell you anything until you ovulate.  Your temp will be all over the place before your first postpartum ovulation, and you'll really have no way of knowing if it is because you're not getting any sleep and have so many disturbed temperatures or if it's just that you're not ovulating yet.  It really is most likely the latter; most women that I have run into who have been charting temperatures at the time of their first postpartum ovulation have caught a temperature rise coinciding with their first postpartum ovulation.

I've talked to many more very confused women long before they ovulate.  You have to be pretty discriminatory on what you consider a temperature rise.  We're looking for 6 valid temps (you can shave 1 or 2) that are lower followed by 3 valid temps that are higher, and likely, the highest of the 3 higher temps will be at least .4F higher than the highest of the low temps.  Be skeptical of anything else.  Your temps will be going up and down, and it's really easy to interpret an ovulation out of them if you're not careful.  If you chart on Fertility Friend, it will give you many, many false positives.

Many women find that charting temps before their first postpartum period is just an exercise in futility.  It's a lot of work for possibly no gain.  CM alone is sufficient for helping you to know when you are potentially fertile, and mostly, it's what you're relying on.  The one advantage that temping gives is confirming ovulation (or perhaps even more importantly, lack thereof).  If you have a CM patch that dries up, if you're charting CM only, you can know that you were potentially fertile during that CM patch until the evening of the 4th day of dry-up, but you don't know if you should be expecting your period now, and if your period doesn't come, you wonder if you should take a pregnancy test if there was any chance that you DTD close enough to get that egg.  If you were charting temp as well, you could see if ovulation was at all likely, and that can reduce your worrying about being pregnant when your body really isn't doing anything.  I can tell you, I saved myself a lot of money on pregnancy tests postpartum by taking my temperature, and I knew exactly when I ovulated for the first time before my first postpartum period.  Of course, this requires being able to trust that your temps are at least somewhat accurate.

#13 of 64 Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 AM

JMJ, you are just an encyclopedia of fertility information. Wow! :)

AFM- CD4 and all is well. Headed out of town to see my parents and sisters this weekend and I'm so excited. My sisters are throwing me a bridal shower so I'm sure I'll get to see some old friends from my hometown, even though I'll miss STB DH waaaaay too much (and miss several days of safe time...)

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

#14 of 64 Old 03-08-2012, 07:12 AM

Hi there! First time chart-er here! I got the billings ovulation excel sheet to track, is that effective for most? 

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#15 of 64 Old 03-08-2012, 10:13 PM

Welcome, Canadianhippie. I don't know about the Billings excel spreadsheet. My instructor just gave us charts she had made or taken from her book of instructional materials. For the class purposes, I am using those for now but I've always charted with fertility friend because I like their android app and think their charts are easy to read.

As for the method- there isn't a specific FAM for this thread. There are sympto-thermal, Creighton, Billings, and others here. And some that use a combination of different methods, I think.

Personally, I just switched from sympto-thermal to billings and don't follow all the rules anyways ;). I don't abstain or use a barrier during my period (i have long cycles- never O earlier than CD18 and am willing to take the risk of DTD without being to confirm the absence of CM) and do use barrier methods during fertile CM times. Honestly, if I absolutely, positively didn't want to get pregnant, I'd probably follow all the rules and temp to confirm ovulation but I'm just going through the motions right now and not being that conservative (we're TTC starting in two more cycles).

Anyways, there are some great people here with TONS of great knowledge. Welcome to the one place on the internet where it's okay to talk about cervical mucus! :)

#16 of 64 Old 03-09-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome. Canadianhippie. If you are teaching yourself charting, it might be best to get a basal thermometer and use a sympto-thermal method for now. Categorizing and interpreting mucus can be tricky, especially at first, so it's nice to have objective temperature data to use as well. Mucus-only methods, such as the Billings method, really require specialized training from an instructor in order to use successfully.

#17 of 64 Old 03-09-2012, 11:16 AM

Oh ok, thanks so much, that was useful, Ill need to investigate the basal temp method, take temp in the morning before you get out of bed right?

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#18 of 64 Old 03-09-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Canadianhippie, yes, you must take your temperature after you've had at least a few hours of sleep and before you get up, drink anything, etc. It's best to use a basal thermometer since it gives a more precise reading than a fever thermometer. I've had good luck with the BD digital basal thermometer, which you can get for around $14 on Amazon, and I found the Target Up&Up brand thermometer to be worthless.

I'd recommend reading the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility as an introduction to charting using FAM( sympto-thermal method). It isn't the most comprehensive guide out there, but it was the most comprehensible to me when I was first getting started, plus many public libraries have it. The wiki article linked on the first post of the thread has a summary of the rules for FAM, but it's helpful to read the entire book. Another option is to download Natural Family Planning: The Complete Approach, which is free. It offers far more options for rules to follow when interpreting your charts, which I find handy now but found rather overwhelming when I was first getting started, so it might be better to read once you have a couple of cycles of charting under your belt. The authors also have a very conservative Catholic perspective, which some might find off-putting.

If you want to keep a chart online so members of the board can access when you have questions, you can set one up for free at Fertility Friend or Taking Charge of Your Fertility. However, if you do keep an online chart, please don't blindly trust the computer's interpretation of your chart; they are far too often incorrect. The TCOYF site also has paper charts you can print.

#19 of 64 Old 03-09-2012, 04:29 PM
JMJ

Librarygirl, I hope you have a great weekend and a beautiful shower.

Welcome, canadianhippie!  You've got some great information already.  The Billings method is about 94-98% effective, slightly less than some other methods of NFP, but effective enough for most.  Check out the Methods of NFP wiki in the first post for more information on your options and their effectiveness.  Also, check out the Billings website.  They've got a lot of information there.  I would recommend a class, though, if you can find one available near you.  The Creighton Model is very similar, though more standardized and slightly more effective because of that.

If learning on your own, I would also second the recommendation to start with taking your temp as well, even if you want to eventually go CM-only.  It's helpful to see the temperature rise that indicates that you're actually ovulating, and that it matches up with the CM patterns that you're seeing.  Physicsgirl gave you some good information on resources for learning about this method.  Temping does require a basal thermometer, and it requires that you take your temp at the same time every morning after getting several hours of sleep.  Some women are very sensitive to sleep disturbances.  Others can get great temp patterns despite major disruptions to their sleep.

If you really do not want to deal with temping, I would very strongly recommend abstaining from any genital contact for an entire cycle when you start.  (It's generally recommended even with the sympto-thermal method to abstain until after ovulation the first cycle of charting as well, though it's much more possible to learn the STM without being completely abstinent.)  You really want confirmation that you're seeing your ovulation pattern well enough to trust the information you're getting, and seminal residue (or even vaginal secretions related to sexual arousal) can make this much more complicated.

The Billings method originated out of the STM.  Many people who chart using the STM find that over time, they get to know their cycles really well and do not need the temperature sign to know what is going on, and it's not worth the hassle of making sure to take their temperature at the same time every morning, and they choose to chart CM-only... basically moving to the Billings Method.  Over time, you'll get to find what works for you.  There's a lot of diversity on this board.  When I started, it was pretty much just STM people, but now, we've got people using the STM, Billings, Creighton, and Marquette (Am I missing anybody's method?), and this is a great place to get questions answered to support you in any of those or any other method you might choose.

ETA:  How could I forget LAM and Ecological Breastfeeding???  Crazy, stressed out preggo brain of mine...  Just a few more days, and Ecological Breastfeeding (and technically LAM as well) will be MY method of choice, and of course those are the ones I forgot!  Haha!

#20 of 64 Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 PM

wow! so much information, thank you all so much for taking the time to give me so much advice! 

it really is complex science right now to me lol, but i will browse at the pdf book and I started a chart on taking charge of your fertility.com It does identify your ideal days, i started because I thought i might be ovulating (thick, white CM not typical through the month) and it says there from my approx. days I was right, ill be careful and start measuring my temp

Ive had so many problems with birth control lately me and my DP are willing to try other options now, what are the biggest benefits you've noticed by staying off birth control meds?

OO and what would clear runny/stringy type CM mean following the days after the thick, white CM of ovulation

and its true, how do you tell which is your own wetness from arousal or CM?

#21 of 64 Old 03-09-2012, 09:54 PM

For me, the biggest benefit is not putting hormones in my body. And not needing to use a barrier every single time (I have a lot of skin issues and suffer from contact dermatitis and/or UTIs from latex condoms (we've since switched to non-latex condoms). I love knowing where I am in my cycle and seeing that my body is doing what it is supposed to be doing. It's also economical - no money out for pills or anything like that.

Been using FAM for about a year and absolutely love it.

thick, white CM is what you would normally call "creamy" and is not quite as fertile as that clear stringy "stretchy" CM, which is what we call egg-white cervical mucus or EWCM- that's exactly what it looks like. This is your most fertile mucus and you should be able to stretch it a few inches before it breaks. Typically, you'll see this for a couple days before you O and maybe a day after, but most women dry up pretty quick after ovulation.

As for arousal fluid- it tends to dry up pretty quick and absorbs/dries more readily that fertile CM. On a finger it might dry up where CM will glisten and stick around. Same with toilet paper- if it soaks in, I tend to think arousal fluid. Also just knowing what you've been doing - if you are feeling a little "excited" or have been intimate in the past couple of hours, it's probably arousal fluid. If you've been doing unpleasant tasks or busy with work and not thinking about sex and you have some CM, it's probably safe to assume that it's CM. Of course, your signature makes me think that you are younger than me and I was definitely more "excitable" 10 years ago than I am now (at 32) so it might be easier for me to tell on that.

Definitely read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and I would recommend doing the little class series on fertility friend's website. Very informative.

#22 of 64 Old 03-10-2012, 06:41 AM

#23 of 64 Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

This is a random safety tip.... but I just wanted to remind everyone to keep your thermometers out of reach of your babies and toddlers. It's probably a "duh, of course" thing and you probably already  are careful, but just to share a story with you guys, a while ago my toddler got a hold of a thermometer (not my basal one, a regular digital one, but same thing) and managed to bust it apart within 2 minutes. I had no idea he could do that so easily! Due to the grace of God, he brought me the little dime sized lithium battery, because for some reason I am very lucky that he usually brings me things that he knows he shouldn't have rather than eat them. 

And there have been several news stories lately about babies and toddlers swallowing lithium batteries and then having irreparable, debilitating damage done to their little bodies. 

So, just as a reminder, be careful :) I just had to say it! 

#24 of 64 Old 03-10-2012, 02:39 PM
JMJ

Canadianhippie, congratulations!  It sounds like you're seeing your body's changes as you're getting ready to ovulate.  A lot of women experience a progression from white, creamy or tacky mucus that increases in quantity, gets more clear and more stretchy, and then they ovulate.  It's awesome that you're seeing that so well in your first month charting!  Arousal fluid/seminal residue can make things tricky, but over time, you'll get a good feel for how that differs from CM.  It's just easier to learn without those confounding factors at first.

As for myself, I have never been on hormonal birth control, but I love not putting anything unnatural into my body.  I don't like the idea of using drugs to upset a perfectly functioning body system.  It just doesn't seem like a good idea from a women's health perspective, and research shows that there are indeed a number of health risks associated with hormonal contraception.  In contrast, I really love how charting puts you in tune with your body's natural rhythms, promotes the health of your fertility (and gives you the means to assess the health of your fertility and make changes if needed), can be used also to achieve pregnancy, and prepares your body for a healthy pregnancy when you do get pregnant.

Birdie.lee, glad to help!

Infojunkie, how scary!  I'm so glad it turned out alright.  I'm also glad that my toddler is pretty good about giving me stuff that she shouldn't have or telling me about things that aren't going the way they are supposed to.

#25 of 64 Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Hi ladies!  I apologize in advance for TMI, but there isn't much way around it. 

This is my third cycle charting, and I'm worried I may have just made an 'oopsie'.  My chart reflects ovulation, both calculated by hand and calculated by fertility friend.  Last night was the first safe night.  I checked CM beforehand, just to be sure, and it was non-fertile quality (dry rectangle of streaks on my underwear).  This is why I am worrying:

The last two months I had a very low temp right before it shot up, and this month that didn't happen.  My temp also dropped a bit this morning, and that is also something new for the first few days post-ovulation for me.

Today I am feeling crampy, like ovulation cramps, but this is probably just from DTD, right?

There is a wet circle on my underwear that looks like fertile CM, but this is also probably just from DTD, I hope.

Please let me know if I am wasting my time worrying about this.  I appreciate your advice!

chart

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#26 of 64 Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I think you are okay. Your temperatures are still well above the coverline and I agree, your chart shows ovulation. As long as they stay up and are followed by a period after about as many days as your normal luteal phase is, you can confirm that you ovulated.  Don't worry about your temperatures following an exact pattern month to month or stress about ups and downs. Your charts will vary as you go along.  You can get fertile-ish mucus after ovulation without worry.  I get creamy and even eggwhite sometimes in my luteal phase. That's why temping is so helpful, you can see the thermal shift and feel more confident that the ovulation did happen.  :)  I'm sure others will have a better response for you, but I think you are just fine! And I wanted to respond so you wouldn't have any more unnecessary anxiety. The patch in your underwear that seemed like fertile mucus could definitely have been semen.  Semen actually has a very similar quality to EWCM, and for good reason, it's a medium that is optimal for sperm to live in. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily's_Mom View Post

This is my third cycle charting, and I'm worried I may have just made an 'oopsie'.  My chart reflects ovulation, both calculated by hand and calculated by fertility friend.  Last night was the first safe night.  I checked CM beforehand, just to be sure, and it was non-fertile quality (dry rectangle of streaks on my underwear).  This is why I am worrying:

The last two months I had a very low temp right before it shot up, and this month that didn't happen.  My temp also dropped a bit this morning, and that is also something new for the first few days post-ovulation for me.

Today I am feeling crampy, like ovulation cramps, but this is probably just from DTD, right?

There is a wet circle on my underwear that looks like fertile CM, but this is also probably just from DTD, I hope.

Please let me know if I am wasting my time worrying about this.  I appreciate your advice!

chart

#27 of 64 Old 03-13-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

Canadianhippie, congratulations!  It sounds like you're seeing your body's changes as you're getting ready to ovulate.  A lot of women experience a progression from white, creamy or tacky mucus that increases in quantity, gets more clear and more stretchy, and then they ovulate.  It's awesome that you're seeing that so well in your first month charting!  Arousal fluid/seminal residue can make things tricky, but over time, you'll get a good feel for how that differs from CM.  It's just easier to learn without those confounding factors at first.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post

For me, the biggest benefit is not putting hormones in my body. And not needing to use a barrier every single time (I have a lot of skin issues and suffer from contact dermatitis and/or UTIs from latex condoms (we've since switched to non-latex condoms). I love knowing where I am in my cycle and seeing that my body is doing what it is supposed to be doing. It's also economical - no money out for pills or anything like that.

Been using FAM for about a year and absolutely love it.

thick, white CM is what you would normally call "creamy" and is not quite as fertile as that clear stringy "stretchy" CM, which is what we call egg-white cervical mucus or EWCM- that's exactly what it looks like. This is your most fertile mucus and you should be able to stretch it a few inches before it breaks. Typically, you'll see this for a couple days before you O and maybe a day after, but most women dry up pretty quick after ovulation.

As for arousal fluid- it tends to dry up pretty quick and absorbs/dries more readily that fertile CM. On a finger it might dry up where CM will glisten and stick around. Same with toilet paper- if it soaks in, I tend to think arousal fluid. Also just knowing what you've been doing - if you are feeling a little "excited" or have been intimate in the past couple of hours, it's probably arousal fluid. If you've been doing unpleasant tasks or busy with work and not thinking about sex and you have some CM, it's probably safe to assume that it's CM. Of course, your signature makes me think that you are younger than me and I was definitely more "excitable" 10 years ago than I am now (at 32) so it might be easier for me to tell on that.

Definitely read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and I would recommend doing the little class series on fertility friend's website. Very informative.

Just reading the fertility friend pdf book, this is amazing...why dont more women do this, its as effective as birth control too! 94-98% effective

I am "excitable" lol im madly in love with my DP and its very easy for me to switched on with him

THIS IS SO COOL! 

So i had runny, watery, milky coloured...it did resemble sperm, but looking it up, it said its closer to ovulation with that?

does this work, im approx. in the middle of my cycle, I had thick, white first...

3 days later clear stringy, runny and 3 days after that type, the watery egg white type 

but i feel menstrual type cramps as well, next month ill track when my period was, i didnt this month, just approx. 

is all CM meaningful? because the thick stuff was heavier, but the watery was just a little blurb one day, nothing else the rest of it, but do you record it all?

#28 of 64 Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 PM

Thank you, infojunkie!  

Quote:

Originally Posted by infojunkie View Post

I think you are okay. Your temperatures are still well above the coverline and I agree, your chart shows ovulation. As long as they stay up and are followed by a period after about as many days as your normal luteal phase is, you can confirm that you ovulated.  Don't worry about your temperatures following an exact pattern month to month or stress about ups and downs. Your charts will vary as you go along.  You can get fertile-ish mucus after ovulation without worry.  I get creamy and even eggwhite sometimes in my luteal phase. That's why temping is so helpful, you can see the thermal shift and feel more confident that the ovulation did happen.  :)  I'm sure others will have a better response for you, but I think you are just fine! And I wanted to respond so you wouldn't have any more unnecessary anxiety. The patch in your underwear that seemed like fertile mucus could definitely have been semen.  Semen actually has a very similar quality to EWCM, and for good reason, it's a medium that is optimal for sperm to live in. 

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#29 of 64 Old 03-14-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunkie View Post

This is a random safety tip.... but I just wanted to remind everyone to keep your thermometers out of reach of your babies and toddlers. It's probably a "duh, of course" thing and you probably already  are careful, but just to share a story with you guys, a while ago my toddler got a hold of a thermometer (not my basal one, a regular digital one, but same thing) and managed to bust it apart within 2 minutes. I had no idea he could do that so easily! Due to the grace of God, he brought me the little dime sized lithium battery, because for some reason I am very lucky that he usually brings me things that he knows he shouldn't have rather than eat them. 

And there have been several news stories lately about babies and toddlers swallowing lithium batteries and then having irreparable, debilitating damage done to their little bodies. 

So, just as a reminder, be careful :) I just had to say it! 

great reminder! my youngest got my basal apart like that once too. we were cosleeping with a side carred crib.i had it in a holder attached to my headboard. she took it out and took it apart. i put it back, but the next day she took it out again and stood up with it in her mouth and fell forward. it has a hard tip and it jammed a hole into her gums right above where a new tooth was supposed to be coming in. so then i tied a string to it so it could hang down behind my headboard and it was hidden. that stopped the playing with it. all i had to do was wake up, grab the cord, take my temp, and shove it back down. it kept it in memory. so after dd2 was out of bed and not paying attention, i would take it out and do my chart and put it back before she saw where it was. i will be doing it that way again. i could stay exactly where i was, not even have to open my eyes, and temp. the cord was long enough to dangle down without touching the floor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily's_Mom View Post

chart

your chart does show a clear ovulation! i usually like another day or so to call it. but a temp dip like that is normal before going back up. my charts were similar every month, but not exactly the same. i always had a dip before o and a dip after 3 or 3 days high temp after o. but they werent always the same degrees etc. also semen will soak into your underwear and make a wet spot. creamy and eggwhite etc will soak in a little but most of it will stay on top as a film. you would be able to feel it with your finger on top of the fabric and even smear it a little. the egg white could still be stretched a little even after having been there a couple of hours. it also does this to tp when you wipe. also after o it is possibe to have creamy, wet, or even egg white show back up. hormones fluctuate before af. some women have copious amounts of ewcm right before af even. mine was always creamy or watery but every once in a while it would look like it was trying to be ew. 

#30 of 64 Old 03-14-2012, 01:45 PM

hey- just reading to catch up on everything here.

I haven't been getting updates since I didn't post in Feb.

plugging away at Creighton still, day 37 of this cycle, 29 days of NO making it fun.  but very encouraged by the support and follow-up of the method.

took amoxicillin right at the time of possible ovulation, leading to a very interesting week of charting.  ;)  
but thankfully my temp was 1/2 a degree higher after the week of excessive fertile fluids so hoping that means i am safe for the rest of the cycle.

and that it's longer than 8 days before AF.

blessings to all the charting moms out there!  

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!

Tags
Family Planning , Fertility

User Tag List