spermicide film. i am thinking i might go this route. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

has anyone had any reactions to it? or failures etc? 

all the perm choices are scaring me. i always get side effects and the last thing i need is messed up hormones. i do chart so that helps. but dh doesnt like condoms. he will use them if i ask, but i prefer no condoms too. and it seems easier and more on the spot than a diaphragm. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#2 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 AM

My sister went the spermicide film route, and within three months (after using it correctly, and EVERY single time) she got pregnant.  So, if getting pregnant would be ok with you, it is a fine choice.  Generally, spermicide really isn't that effective, I think around the tune of about 75%. So basically, if you use it for one year, there is about a 25% chance you will be pregnant before the year is out.  If you use it for two years, there is about a 50% chance you'll get pregnant, etc. Spermicide is NOT a good form of birth control, more like a back up, really.  If you don't like a cervical cap or diaphragm, then condoms are really your only effective form of birth control.  I know they aren't fun, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you don't want to do hormonal birth control.  I was on the Nuva Ring and that is the lowest level of birth control hormones out there so less chance of side effects, only use it once a month, and 99% effective.  Might be worth looking into if condoms are not going to be used regularly.

Vegetarian, breastfeeding, cloth diapering and EC'ing mama to my bare-foot, TV-free, free-range toddler and loving it!!!

#3 of 6 Old 03-25-2012, 02:36 PM

I got pregnant with my DD within two cycles while using VCF film as BC and nothing else.

Have you thought of NFP? That's non-hormonal, I've been using it for thirteen cycles and counting successfully.

Working jammin.gif Student Mama to a energy.gif4 y/o.

#4 of 6 Old 03-25-2012, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Another non-permanent, non-hormonal option is a non-hormonal IUD. (There are also IUD with hormones, which offer a lower level of hormones that BCPs).

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#5 of 6 Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

i was using nfp when i got pregnant this time. i was hoping that if i added the film to it that it wouldnt happen again. i can not hold out when o'ing. i am like a cat in heat! i am against an iud. hormonal or not. i read that you can still get pregnant while using it but it makes you miscarry it. that is against my beliefs. looks like i am left with sterilization. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#6 of 6 Old 03-29-2012, 02:03 PM

Spermicidal film is nowhere near effective enough to use as your only BC method. You could use it in conjunction with nfp or a diaphragm (although I wouldn't be comfortable using just nfp and a diaphragm, the failure rate is still pretty high.)

I've read the lit on IUDs and miscarriages and from what I understand, that's a theoretical risk. It's also not that you would get pregnant and miscarry. It's that there's a theoretical possibility that the egg could fertilize but not implant. Again, theoretical. Even without contraception, about half of all fertilized eggs don't implant. Many of us have likely had several eggs fertilize but not implant, and we'd have never known the difference.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

Tags
Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page