FAM while breastfeeding - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm new to FAM and just read Taking Charge of your Fertility but was a bit confused about her section on breastfeeding. It said that its difficult to do FAM while nursing if your period has come back, but didn't mention any problems for a nursing mom whose periods have returned.

DD is 7 months old now and nurses around 4-5 times a day and is waking to feed every 2-3 hours at night. My period came back 6 weeks pp despite me EBFing her, and since then have been pretty regular. I'm just wondering if nursing so frequently is going to give me abnormal temperature readings or if there's anything else to look out for?

#2 of 4 Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 AM

Sorry it took so long for me to respond.

My DD was much older when we were using FAM, but she was still nursing through the night.  I found that even not sleeping the recommended uninterrupted time AND taking my temp at different times (I didn't set an alarm) it still worked for me.

Have you had any success or what have you been doing?

#3 of 4 Old 06-02-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
  I found that even not sleeping the recommended uninterrupted time AND taking my temp at different times (I didn't set an alarm) it still worked for me.

I have found this too. My daughter is 11 months old. I tried temping for a little while when she was younger in hopes of catching that first post-partum ovulation, but I got bored. I did learn this in the process, though. Now I am cycling again. So now most days I do wake at some point between 5 and 6:30, and I temp then, whenever it might be. Usually she is starting to stir at this time and it takes her a bit of time to get wound up, which is long enough for the thermometer to register.

Your mileage may vary, but it's worth giving it a try making the fewest changes from now. If you don't get usable numbers then you can consider making changes.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#4 of 4 Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 AM

Gah! I got my cycle back at 8 weeks PP and I started temping again as we very much are avoiding right now. I'm SUPER regular back to my old cycle but I'm NOT getting the temp shifts. So I don't know what to do or say but I'd have to agree that EBF makes it harder so we are just using a barrier instead.

DS is 4 months now. 

It's worth a shot. When I was TTC, I was working night and my sleep schedule was wacked out. If you're getting at least 3 hours in a row you should get something usable, it might be rocky, but usable. 

Good luck to you.

There are always other women that are happy to help you sort out your chart. 

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

Tags
Family Planning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page