Advice, please Mama's-- Mirena's making me nuts! What would you do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had the mirena inserted exactly 2 weeks and 1 day ago. I have bled and cramped every, single day since then. Sometimes, for a few hours, it will go down to spotting, but then it will ramp back up to bleeding. I feel weak and shaky at times. 

It was recommended to me by the nurse practioner at my well woman exam. She sounded so positive about it-- when I asked about drawbacks, she said that there were none; that she wished every woman would get them. I paid 850 out of pocket (which is a lot of money for us, or I think I would have it removed already!).

I called the nurse, and she said that irregular bleeding was normal for the first 3-6 months. I hardly call this irregular, this is more like constant! What would you do? If I'm still having bleeding, is it likely that I will be in the 3-6 month category?

I really thought going on some sort of birth control would be freeing, but this is awful. And I feel terrible that I've just thrown 850$ down the drain. :(

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#2 of 14 Old 05-05-2012, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had the mirena for around 6 months a couple of years ago, and though I don't remember any bleeding issues, I had a host of physical changes that I became convinced were caused by the progesterone from the IUD.  My ob/gyn at the time repeatedly assured me that this was impossible because it was only a local hormone, but my current gyn confirms that some women are more sensitive to progesterone and that my symptoms were very likely caused by the mirena.  They all resolved when I had it removed, and I totally hear you about wasting a ton of $$.  Good luck!

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#3 of 14 Old 05-06-2012, 04:00 PM

I've had mine for 4 months now.  I bled constantly forr the first 2 mo and was really annoyed and considered having it pulled.  I'm glad I didn't now bc the bleeding is nearly gone - just a tiny bit of spotting about once every few weeks.  I love not having to think about bc.  I'd say give it some time.

However if the bleeding is heavy you might ask your NP to check for anemia, esp if you are feeling weak/shaky. 

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#4 of 14 Old 05-06-2012, 04:32 PM

I've had mine for about the same amt of time as you. When it was placed, my midwife told me that lots of spotting and bleeding can be normal in the first year (sorry greensad.gif ) of use, but after that, it basically takes your period away for the duration of time you have it. I'd say if its bothering you so much, maybe schedule a follow up appointment and make sure it is correctly placed. 

IMHO-spending 3-6 months bleeding is a huge annoyance, but for me, it would be worth it once I got past it and had the rest of the 5 yr stretch period and pregnancy free. I would probably take an iron pill, though, just to be on the safe side. A year would probably be a little long for me, though, to have the same feelings. I definitely think I would wait it out longer than two weeks, though. 

Sorry its bothering you so much. greensad.gif Hopefully it will clear up soon!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#5 of 14 Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 AM

I had my Mirena put in two years ago. I don't recall having any trouble, aside from some heavier bleeding at first. when I went in for my yearly check up everything was fine (I assumed) because the doctor didn't tell me otherwise. I went back to the doctor two weeks later for pre-op visit before getting the Essure done, and she told me she didn't see my IUD. I assured her that it was there somewhere. She tried to convince me it had fallen out ( I guess that's common). But I told her no, it had to be there. I would know if something "fell out". Anyway, after some arguing she sent me over to x-ray and they found the Mirena in my abdomen. I had to have it surgically removed. It punctured through my uterus (probably when it was originally put it) and had been floating around in my body for two years. I have done some research since this experience and learned that it is a common occurrence. I would not recommend having the Mirena. It sounds like a nice idea, but it's not worth the problems it could cause down the road.

#6 of 14 Old 05-07-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyalaska View Post

I had my Mirena put in two years ago. I don't recall having any trouble, aside from some heavier bleeding at first. when I went in for my yearly check up everything was fine (I assumed) because the doctor didn't tell me otherwise. I went back to the doctor two weeks later for pre-op visit before getting the Essure done, and she told me she didn't see my IUD. I assured her that it was there somewhere. She tried to convince me it had fallen out ( I guess that's common). But I told her no, it had to be there. I would know if something "fell out". Anyway, after some arguing she sent me over to x-ray and they found the Mirena in my abdomen. I had to have it surgically removed. It punctured through my uterus (probably when it was originally put it) and had been floating around in my body for two years. I have done some research since this experience and learned that it is a common occurrence. I would not recommend having the Mirena. It sounds like a nice idea, but it's not worth the problems it could cause down the road.

This is why you are supposed to check for the strings once a month. Not that I'm blaming you, just that it could have been prevented. If anything, I blame your original ob/gyn for not informing you of that and not being aware enough of your history to notice that it wasn't there during your yearly exam. From a quick Google search, I've found that only 1% of women with Mirena have this issue. *shrug*

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#7 of 14 Old 05-07-2012, 01:44 PM

Yes I had heard of this as well (I understand it is pretty rare) and I had the NP help me figure out how to feel for the strings myself when I went back for my 8 week post insertion check. 

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#8 of 14 Old 05-07-2012, 06:47 PM

Yeah, i did the research as well. I know it doesn't happen that often. I'm just shocked that it happens enough for my doctor to specifically tell me there was nothing rare or special about what i was going through. I think that it happening at all is a problem. And no, i wasn't aware that i needed to check for the string every month. I wish my doctor would have explained more to me, and i wish that i had done more of my own research before deciding to have an IUD. It has just been a horrible experience overall.
#9 of 14 Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Dia

Mama - It is terrible for your body 

I don't know how exactly to say it - let's let's place metal devices in our bodies, that are painful, cause infection, excessive bleeding, and then cause cessation of the shedding of the endometrial lining (please tell me you understand why this particularly is problematic), and then will also abort the implantation of a fetus. How could this be good for the female body? It is not good for us. It HURTS our bodies. It causes problems.

I am sorry if I am overly strong in my opinion, and I understand that for some this has been a good solution, and believe me I understand the birth control dillemna.

Mama, I'd encourage you to remove it and to practice NFP - it is really powerful. Blessings to you. 

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
#10 of 14 Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 PM

Have you talked to your hcp? I don't think it's "normal" to cramp for that long... I'm on my second Mirena and both times I had no cramping or bleeding at all after insertion. I'd get a quick check on that to make sure it's in the right place.

I hope you hang in there with it, it's so worth it. I've loved mine to pieces. I ended up with no periods at all both times. BTW, menstruation isn't medically necessary, and if you do a little research on it, menstrual suppression may actually do a body good in the long run.

#11 of 14 Old 05-15-2012, 08:07 AM

I had mine taken out about 3 weeks ago after 9 months of hell, I hated it, it made my crazy, depressed, angry, fat, spotty and exhausted. I feel better all ready! I can't believe that you were told by a health care professional that there are no drawbacks, there are many and they are documented and even available in the little booklet that comes with the Mirena, that is an incredibly unethical thing for them to do.

#12 of 14 Old 05-18-2012, 10:19 AM

I too was urged to use the Mirena when I asked about the weekly ring.  It was such a push, as if no other birth control was even feasible.  Ok, fine.  So I did it and paid a good chunk of money.  I bled FOR SIX MONTHS.  I made a follow up appointment because I was so freaked out.  She said "some people just have thicker linings than others".  Ok.  Months later, another follow up.  "Oh, well, I have never had a patient bleed this long, let me call the Mirena hotline.  Yeah, its ok.  If it continues past six months we will take it out."  I nearly took it out but then it stopped.   I took it out two years later to conceive, which happened quickly.

I am sorry you are going through this.

#13 of 14 Old 05-18-2012, 02:01 PM

I just removed my Mirena, so I'm perhaps not the most supportive person to comment on this (just full disclosure! ;).

The first one I had placed wasn't fully inserted (it wasn't all that painful a procedure -- apparently it should have been! ;). The midwife who delivered me placed it, and I cramped and bled heavily for two weeks before wiping one day and finding that my body had rejected the implant. I guess the cramping was because the Mirena was in my cervix and not fully seated in my uterus. I went back and had them insert a second one (I didn't have to pay for this, though I was on state insurance at the time so you would want to check it out for sure if you do need a second one!).

I had my husband accompany me to the second procedure, which was done by and older and more experienced midwife who assured me that if it didn't hurt going in it hadn't been done properly! I was really glad my husband was there -- I nearly passed out from the pain during insertion. However, I had only minor cramps following this second procedure and only minimal spotting (which after 5 weeks of lochia and two weeks of Mirena bleeding I was pretty psyched about!).

My periods disappeared very quickly, and I only had minor spotting every couple weeks after that (I am assuming during the ovulation/menstruation points in my cycle, though I am not sure of this as I didn't attempt any charting).

It depends on each person's body how you will handle the implant. I strongly recommend you keep track of any and all symptoms you feel may be related to this pesky piece of plastic and hormones! ;) It's taken me a couple years to realize that my severe depression that has plagued me for the past 18 months is most likely a direct response to this implant. I am thrilled to have it out (took it out myself -- just tug the strings and it should slide out with just a touch of pressure -- NO PAIN -- if there is not an issue of perforation/migration).

Good luck! Hope you get some relief soon!

#14 of 14 Old 06-23-2012, 10:45 PM

man ur experience sounds very similar to mine... after i had my baby girl in may 2010, i had the mirena inserted. it was very painful to me i thought i was going to throw up n fall over on the table. needless to say i dont tolorate pain at all.. any way i bleed like crazy perty much the entire year it was in and each check up they said it was perfectly fine and that was normal... well i believed the dr. and thought ok my body is just being difficult... i had gained a crap load of weight and thought o its just i havent lost any weight, extreamly moody, tired, my sex drive went down hill big time only cuz sex hurt and i couldnt put tw and two together... anywho. it was in there almost a little over a year (dec 2011 is when it come out) and i had started bleeding extreamly heavy n  cramping well i thought o here we go again... i had went to the restroom and while wiping i felt something so i had just happened to look and here was my mirena in the toilet paper... i though o wow thats not normal.. so i put it in a zip lock bag n called the obgyn dr... needless to say i didnt know what to do with it.. so when i went in i took it with me so there was assurance it was not in my body. so of course i had to wait a few weeks to get a new one place in... like a crazy person i had another one placed in... keep in mine this new one was just placed in this jan.2012... i had some crampine and bleeding and thought o my body is already used to it so of course its not going to be like the last one.. well i had begun to find stragally hairs on my chin, and just in random places that was not normal, my mood was not my normal self i was completly mean to everyone around me, extreamly depressed, questioned my self many times on why i was even alive let alone why i was a mom, questioning everything, i basicly was a hateful person that i had no clue how i had become, gained a crap load more weight my streach marks had streach marks, well recently ive been having symptoms of being pregnante now wheather or not i am i still dont know yet if i am its too soon to test so im waiting a few more weeks. but anywho i ran accross a site i had googled on people who had removed there mirean at home and i thought hmm i wounder... well then i finally got the curage to do it considering id been wanting to get it out so i found my strings and slowly pulled on it.. i thought im crazy what if i hurt my self but then i thought i dnt care i want it out.so now as of today it is out of me... i had some small cramping but it stopped less then 20mins after it was out... went to work all night and i felt like i was "lighter" i was happy, tonight was the first night i had been my old self it seamed like the thought of it not being in there not giving me the problems id been having...so for now im back to condoms and im extreamly happy that its out of me!!! i dont think i would recomend it to anyone but thats just from my experience with it. i sure hope you have a better experience then i did with it.

Tags
Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page