When did you get the vasectomy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-17-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am pregnant with our third and have given myself this pregnancy to mull over the big V, but I am 99% sure we will be going through with it. Anyway, I was talking with DH about when to have it done. As of now we don't have *any* help, no family, no nothing, but I am trying to get a mother's helper in order when rascal # 3 is born. Anyway, the plan was for DH to get it done during the 6 weeks post partum when we aren't really dtd anyway, but then I got to wondering if that is the smartest idea to have both of us sort of out of commission at the same time? I know it is an easy recovery, but can you lift children and what not pretty soon after? I was saying to him that it would be nice if he got it done while I was pregnant, so that he would be fine by the time I had the baby, but then of course there is always the what if you lose the baby thing, and then you would be kind of screwed. Because if we got it done post partum I would want him to do it really soon after I have the baby because we hate every kind of birth control out there basically, which equals being bc irresponsible.  Anyway, I'm just curious what everyone else has done. Thanks!

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#2 of 5 Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 AM

I don't think he'll be out of commission for that long, so maybe around 5-6 weeks, when you're feeling a bit more like yourself, would be a good time. smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 5 Old 05-17-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post

I don't think he'll be out of commission for that long, so maybe around 5-6 weeks, when you're feeling a bit more like yourself, would be a good time. smile.gif

But I could be pregnant again by then! lol. I don't skip a beat despite EBFing 24/7. And then isn't it like three months until the final all clear?

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#4 of 5 Old 06-06-2012, 02:42 PM

Truly, if you are certain enough I would suggest the V before the baby is born.  Your hubby will be laid out completely for the first day and there is a certain time period where he shouldn't lift anything above a certain weight.  With that considered and the time period it takes before a zero sperm count is verified...it's the best way to go to avoid an "oops" or dealing w/back up BC.

As for the big "what if"...chances are everything will be fine, but if something terrible happens and you choose to have another child there is always the reversal route.  My dh had one for under $2000 and we had a BFP the next month.  Success rate of reversals is very high if they occur within the first 3-5 years of the V and considering today's simpler methods, there's less damage for the reversal doctor to contend with which adds to the success. 

Good luck with your decision!

#5 of 5 Old 06-14-2012, 08:47 PM

Most men recover quite quickly but there is always a chance he won't.  My husband's recovery was long, about 2 months.  He couldn't walk normally for over a month due to extreme swelling.  He had complications, which are rare, but there's always a chance.

~Sandy
mommy to Joey 11, Ian 9, Hayden 7 and Charlie 3

Tags
Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page