Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness May/June 2012 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 06-10-2012, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Yikes... I hope for the best possible outcomes for you, physics girl.

I realized in my attempts to streamline my life, that even though I like to chart on paper, charting online will mean I can get rid of one piece of paper. Can anybody tell me about the costs of using Fertility Friend? I can't seem to find any useful information on their site about it.

fertility friend has a VIP membership that you do pay for but their basic version is free. I've been using it for a year and a half now.

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#32 of 54 Old 06-11-2012, 11:18 AM
JMJ

Thinking of you, physics girl.

Lactatinggirl, have you noticed any CM?  Is it possible that it was caused by intercourse?  If you're unsure, start charting.  If you're still deep in breastfeeding infertility, you'll likely be able to establish a BIP (either dry or some kind of less-fertile CM) quite quickly, and as long your BIP continues, you can quit charting until something else starts happening.

#33 of 54 Old 06-11-2012, 12:49 PM

We are coming up on 10mo PP, which is when I got pg last time!  We're doing a lot more bfing this time around, and I'm hoping to stretch the amenorrhea out quite a bit longer.  We're basically Ecologically Breastfeeding, but without the nap because I also have a 2yo.  How do moms w/older children manage to get the nurse-nap in?!

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#34 of 54 Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_gooseberry View Post

We are coming up on 10mo PP, which is when I got pg last time!  We're doing a lot more bfing this time around, and I'm hoping to stretch the amenorrhea out quite a bit longer.  We're basically Ecologically Breastfeeding, but without the nap because I also have a 2yo.  How do moms w/older children manage to get the nurse-nap in?!

Co-sleeping to get them both to nap helps me a lot. If you're tandem nursing, you can nurse both (lots of pillows involved) while laying on the bed. I always unlatched Peanut (her nursing wasn't comfortable enough for me that I could sleep through it) and went to sleep. If you're not tandem nursing, you can nurse the baby while the older child cuddles with your back. When Peanut won't nap, we let her have quiet time (she lays on her bed and "reads" books) while I get the baby down to nap and sometimes she stays in there long enough for me to catch a bit of shut eye. My biggest problem is my body not wanting to nap even when I'm tired. :-/
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

Thinking of you, physics girl.

Lactatinggirl, have you noticed any CM?  Is it possible that it was caused by intercourse?  If you're unsure, start charting.  If you're still deep in breastfeeding infertility, you'll likely be able to establish a BIP (either dry or some kind of less-fertile CM) quite quickly, and as long your BIP continues, you can quit charting until something else starts happening.

My BIP is sticky. I established it after the lochia stopped and I don't keep strict track anymore, but I haven't noticed any changes. Some days there's more than others, but it never looks fertile to me. I had spotting again today. It's just been once per day and very little, just tinged CM. I'm certain it's not related to sex because it started when it had been a few days. Would you suggest I start temping? I thought that spotting meant no longer infertile? I really, really don't want to get pregnant again right now. I understand that you have to do what you have to do, but it would be devastating to me to lose my milk and have to give Twig formula.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#35 of 54 Old 06-12-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

Would you suggest I start temping? I thought that spotting meant no longer infertile? I really, really don't want to get pregnant again right now. 

I say start temping now.  

I'm just jumping in so I'm not sure what your plan is.  Are you going to abstain or use protection during fertile times?  

I feel like I need a refresher course.  Maybe I need to check TCOYF out of the library.  Hmm.  

I'm thinking even though you are spotting, if cm is still sticky (your BIP) you could consider yourself safe until CM changes at all.  Thing is that could happen anytime, at the drop of a hat, so if you REALLY want to be careful, I'd either abstain or use protection.

Experts?

Rough night with the baby last night and ended up changing beds and left my thermometer upstairs, so no temp today. 

Do you guys think it's more important to temp at the same time, regardless of how many hours of sleep I get...or more important to temp after a chunk of uninterrupted sleep?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#36 of 54 Old 06-12-2012, 07:09 AM
JMJ

Lactatinggirl, CM will tell you a lot more than temping that you're potentially fertile.  Temping only tells you when you've already ovulated.  Yes, spotting means that you no longer qualify for LAM.  Temping at this point is optional, but I would start keeping strict track of CM.  Consider yourself fertile on any day of spotting or a different kind of CM different from your BIP until the evening of the 4th day after your return to BIP.  If you're seeing a lot of changes including more-fertile type CM or off and on spotting, I would start temping.  It's likely that your spotting is a sign that your fertility is beginning to return, but if the spotting stops, and all you're seeing is BIP, you could decide that you don't need to keep strict track to see that nothing more is happening.  Sheila Kippley considers 6 weeks of nothing to be a return to amenorrhea.

#37 of 54 Old 06-12-2012, 07:10 AM
JMJ

Baby_Cakes, same time by far.  Poor sleep rarely affects temp for me.

#38 of 54 Old 06-12-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Lactatinggirl, CM will tell you a lot more than temping that you're potentially fertile.  Temping only tells you when you've already ovulated.

Very true!  Good point.

Quote:

Baby_Cakes, same time by far.  Poor sleep rarely affects temp for me.

Ok, thanks.  That's what I thought.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#39 of 54 Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Lactatinggirl, CM will tell you a lot more than temping that you're potentially fertile.  Temping only tells you when you've already ovulated.  Yes, spotting means that you no longer qualify for LAM.  Temping at this point is optional, but I would start keeping strict track of CM.  Consider yourself fertile on any day of spotting or a different kind of CM different from your BIP until the evening of the 4th day after your return to BIP.  If you're seeing a lot of changes including more-fertile type CM or off and on spotting, I would start temping.  It's likely that your spotting is a sign that your fertility is beginning to return, but if the spotting stops, and all you're seeing is BIP, you could decide that you don't need to keep strict track to see that nothing more is happening.  Sheila Kippley considers 6 weeks of nothing to be a return to amenorrhea.

^ Good advice.  I had what you had around 3mo PP (I think?), just pink-tinged CM once a day for 2 days in a row.  I'm now 9mo PP and no return to fertility.  I have a BIP with occasional patches of more fertile-ish CM.  My fertility is probably starting to wake up, so I'm keeping track of CM but not temping until something big happens.

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#40 of 54 Old 06-12-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Do you guys think it's more important to temp at the same time, regardless of how many hours of sleep I get...or more important to temp after a chunk of uninterrupted sleep?

I think for me being around the same time is important,but there is no way in heck I am setting an alarm, so I tend to temp at whatever random time in the morning I find myself up with the baby without her really being up for the day yet (if that makes any sense), which is typically somewhere between 5-6:30. How much sleep I've gotten doesn't seem to play in. You could write down all the variables for a little while and see if you notice any patterns.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#41 of 54 Old 06-12-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:

I think for me being around the same time is important,but there is no way in heck I am setting an alarm, so I tend to temp at whatever random time in the morning I find myself up with the baby without her really being up for the day yet (if that makes any sense), which is typically somewhere between 5-6:30. How much sleep I've gotten doesn't seem to play in. You could write down all the variables for a little while and see if you notice any patterns.

this is what i did and it worked for me. i saw a clear pattern every month. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#42 of 54 Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hrm... So this is a tad bit embarrassing. Trying to keep out the TMI as much as possible, it was only happening first thing in the morning. There's another area around there that could be bleeding. Not quite sure what's going on. Possibly just my body still recovering from birth. I mean, I did birth a nearly double-digit sized baby in under 3 hours of labor, so who knows. Anyway, thanks for all the advice. Given this new information, I'm going to consider myself still amenorrhea. At least my fertility hasn't returned! :-P

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#43 of 54 Old 06-13-2012, 09:22 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice :) My DH and I have been trying to make the switch from using condoms to NFP and abstinence (we're CTA). We started out with BOM and then switched to CrMS. I've been charting since January and everything looks pretty straightforward, which I'm grateful for. The main problem for me is sex drive... before my peak fertility, I am really randy... then as soon as my CM dries up I am not interested in DTD. So the all-clear days after ovulation are not being used. My DH and I have been talking about this and going back to using condoms during some of my fertile days, so that we aren't going quite so long without DTD. I think it'll help but I'm really discouraged that our sex life has kinda stalled out since switching to NFP. Any advice about coping with this?

#44 of 54 Old 06-14-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemeadow View Post

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice :) My DH and I have been trying to make the switch from using condoms to NFP and abstinence (we're CTA). We started out with BOM and then switched to CrMS. I've been charting since January and everything looks pretty straightforward, which I'm grateful for. The main problem for me is sex drive... before my peak fertility, I am really randy... then as soon as my CM dries up I am not interested in DTD. So the all-clear days after ovulation are not being used. My DH and I have been talking about this and going back to using condoms during some of my fertile days, so that we aren't going quite so long without DTD. I think it'll help but I'm really discouraged that our sex life has kinda stalled out since switching to NFP. Any advice about coping with this?

First, welcome!  I'm also using CrMS, and we had another user here but she switched to TTC and is now pg.  I don't recall if we have others here of the top of my head....

Second, a word of warning: I am coming from a Catholic perspective, so you may not find all of my advice helpful. :) So, I would look at your reason for postponing pregnancy. It would seem your body really wants to get pregnant!  If it is essential that you postpone, then the Catholic advice would be to pray, pray, pray. And the CrMS comes with SPICE to help you cope with the frustrations that come with going against what your hormones are telling you to do, which is have a baby. You may want to review that section of your textbook. Many women who are nursing actually have the same problem--since they aren't producing the hormones for ovulation, they don't have any libido. There is a lot of advice out there on how to cope, since the problem can last as long as a woman nurses and that can be for years. I was going to refer you to the Sex Talk forum, since there is tons of advice for low libido over there, but since you're new you might not be able to get in. The two most popular pieces of advice seem to be "Fake it 'til you make it," as many women find that things will start to turn on once you get going a bit (also refered to as the "push start"); and to communicate to your DH that he is going to have to put in extra effort. Lots of drawn out seduction, foreplay, that kind of thing.

Last, I would definitely not mix condoms and CrMS. Of all the BC methods, condoms have one of the highest failure rates and you're using them right when a failure is most likely to, well, fail. I know that many FAM users use barrier methods during their fertile period, but when you include the people who contracept during the fertile time in Creighton's success statistics, they plummet. You only get those high numbers if you follow the rules of the method.

I hope I've been able to help!

#45 of 54 Old 06-14-2012, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the feedback, and the welcome :) I wasn't able to find the Sex Talk forum anywhere but you've given me some things to go on! I've also heard the caution about using condoms + NFP methods together. However we'd been using them for over 3 years with not one pregnancy scare. Hopefully that doesn't mean we have any underlying fertility issues that need looking into.

#46 of 54 Old 06-17-2012, 07:13 AM

So, my first cycle postpartum and I guess things are going to be a little wonky.  CD15 and still no ewcm or otherwise different CM.  Pre baby I usually would O sometime around CD14.  Just watching and waiting and until I know for sure something is going on, we are just using condoms.  

meadow - I hear you on the not feeling it on days when you aren't fertile.  Describes the last almost 2 years of my life b/w being pg and then postpartum!  The only thing that really helps me is the push start like goose said.  I really, really need to get out of my head.  I remind DH it's going to take a little more time and effort to get me going, and I probably won't be the initiator...but once things get started I always enjoy them.  It's worth it to try.  You know?

#47 of 54 Old 06-21-2012, 07:51 AM

My fertility is starting to make a come back.  Random days of fertile mucus are coming with more frequency.  Does anyone know how long this is going to last before I can finally start tracking cycles again?  I'm guessing it's an individual thing, but I'd still like to hear your opinions.  DS is still primarily breastfed. 

#48 of 54 Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 AM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_gooseberry View Post

My fertility is starting to make a come back.  Random days of fertile mucus are coming with more frequency.  Does anyone know how long this is going to last before I can finally start tracking cycles again?  I'm guessing it's an individual thing, but I'd still like to hear your opinions.  DS is still primarily breastfed. 

I've seen a CCL estimate of about a couple months.

#49 of 54 Old 06-30-2012, 10:09 PM

Back to CD1 for me. I started my period at the worst possible time, about to board a plane and the tampons were in my checked bag. Of course! The last week of my chart is rubbish because I was on vacation and all schedule changes aside, vacationing with my husband's family tends to mean drinking a lot (not bingeing or anything, but going through a few a day, and when everybody else is having a beer when sitting around in the afternoon, and one with dinner, and one after dinner, it's a lot easier for me to do the same) and alcohol tends to raise my BBTs even if I drink slowly and don't feel drunk. I don't think I did ovulate this "cycle". I had a couple of days of EWCM and then a dry-up, but my temps were all over the map after that rather than staying up.

On the bright side, though, I'm getting a lot better at actually remembering to temp and so when I do start ovulating again I may actually be able to chart it.

This was post-partum cycle #2 for me and DD just turned 1 year old.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#50 of 54 Old 07-01-2012, 08:07 AM

I'm on CD4!  AF arrived right "on time" even though I had no temp shift that indicated O.  This is my 2nd postpartum cycle and DS is 10 months old.  My cycle was exactly 28 days.  Clockwork?  But no O so...

Will temp again this month and see what happens...

#51 of 54 Old 07-01-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I'm on CD4!  AF arrived right "on time" even though I had no temp shift that indicated O.  This is my 2nd postpartum cycle and DS is 10 months old.  My cycle was exactly 28 days.  Clockwork?  But no O so...

Will temp again this month and see what happens...

That is interesting that you got a 'clockwork' cycle even with no O.  I wonder why that is, huh? I've heard that often happens with anovulatory cycles, but I don't know why.

#52 of 54 Old 07-01-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Back to CD1 for me. I started my period at the worst possible time, about to board a plane and the tampons were in my checked bag. Of course! The last week of my chart is rubbish because I was on vacation and all schedule changes aside, vacationing with my husband's family tends to mean drinking a lot (not bingeing or anything, but going through a few a day, and when everybody else is having a beer when sitting around in the afternoon, and one with dinner, and one after dinner, it's a lot easier for me to do the same) and alcohol tends to raise my BBTs even if I drink slowly and don't feel drunk. I don't think I did ovulate this "cycle". I had a couple of days of EWCM and then a dry-up, but my temps were all over the map after that rather than staying up.

On the bright side, though, I'm getting a lot better at actually remembering to temp and so when I do start ovulating again I may actually be able to chart it.

This was post-partum cycle #2 for me and DD just turned 1 year old.

Ohhh worst timing ever! Hope you managed to figure something out for your plane ride. That is noooo fun!

#53 of 54 Old 07-01-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

#54 of 54 Old 07-01-2012, 07:40 PM

Tampon from the machine for 25 cents. Which ended up costing 50 cents because I dropped the first quarter in the conveniently positioned trash can right under the machine. *facepalm*.

I'm not sure if we're going to ttc this month or wait a couple more, so I'll hang around for the time being.

Tags
Fertility , Family Planning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page