Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness May/June 2012 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 05-22-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

flower.gif   May/June 2012  flower.gif

Welcome to the May/June 2012 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); some are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" or pregnant and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post last month, you may have been deleted from the list. If you have joined recently, please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If you were mistakenly deleted, you would like to be added/removed, or you spot anything you would like me to change, please post or PM me to let me know. Remember, you must post in May/June if you want to be on the July list!

To those who are new, welcome! Welcome.gif

Who We Are

AKFamily

birdie.lee

Baby_Cakes BFPChart2.gif

blessedwith7 BFPChart2.gif

Buterflymomma BFPChart2.gif

canadianhippie

CarsonBookworm

Cassiani

erigeron

dreamingtree  BFPChart2.gif

Guggie L Daly

inthemeadow

JenRN

JMJ

Kat216 BFPChart2.gif

lactatinggirl

librarygirl BFPChart2.gif

Lily's_Mom

MaryLang

mtgooseberry

OneWithTwoBFPChart2.gif

organicviolin

physics girl BFPChart2.gif

TTCChloeOrConner

vrclay

WifeofAnt BFPChart2.gif

Graduates

Pregnant! belly.gif

alyadri BFPChart2.gif (March 2012)

justKate BFPChart2.gif (STM) (April 2012)

miss_honeyb BFPChart2.gif  (April 2012)

FaithHopeLove29 BFPChart2.gif

Lionessmom BFPChart2.gif

Wiki Resources for Charting to Avoid

Reasons to Choose Natural Family Planning - Why would you want to use charting to plan your family, anyway?  Feel free to add your own reasons for charting!

Types of Natural Family Planning - It's not just the rhythm method.  They've got this down to a science with options galore!

NFP or FAM Methods While Breastfeeding - You have options in the postpartum period while your fertility is returning!

Resources For Learning About Fertility Cycles - Find books to read or websites to visit, find an instructor, post your chart online, and learn about how your diet affects your fertility.

Fertility Awareness Method - A quick-start guide to the Fertility Awareness, a version of the Sympto-Thermal Method taught by Toni Weschler in her book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

Common Abbreviations for Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness - BBT, EWCM, TCOYF, and more!  Learn what all these crazy acronyms mean here.

Happy Charting Everyone!

#2 of 54 Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for starting the new thread. I would like to be added. I am nursing my almost 11-month-old and would like to avoid pregnancy for another few months while I sort out some career and practical issues.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#3 of 54 Old 05-23-2012, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Thanks for starting the new thread. I would like to be added. I am nursing my almost 11-month-old and would like to avoid pregnancy for another few months while I sort out some career and practical issues.

Great! Will do. Do you have a chart link you'd like to share as well? Not necessary of course, but if you do I'll gladly add it :)

#4 of 54 Old 05-23-2012, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I'll check in with updates.... just a reminder again I changed my username (was info/junkie) but got a new one. In case you are wondering who the heck I am.  

I started Evening Primrose Oil last month. I know, why in the world would I start a supplement that is "supposed" to help with conceiving if I am charting to avoid?  Well, nursing my almost 2 year old had gotten really really awful. My nipples have been so tender, not just during ovulation, pretty much ALL month, and the sensation of him nursing has felt nearly intolerable. I was planning to wean because I just couldn't stand it, and then tried evening primrose oil (originally I tried it for PMS symptoms and then learned of its potential to help with a nursing mom's hormonal nipple tenderness from kellymom.com).  It's like night and day. I can now nurse him without feeling like I want to scream or run away.  So, that's a good thing!  

How is everyone else doing?

#5 of 54 Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 AM

temps back up this morning.....  and we seemed to hit the one day of fertile mucus 2 days before my temps rose.  so online it says 20% chances of being pregnant, which seems a lot less than i'd expect.

here's hoping everyone else is doing a better job TTA than i was!

that said, i think after this, we'd be TTC for the foreseeable future....

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#6 of 54 Old 05-23-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiani View Post

temps back up this morning.....  and we seemed to hit the one day of fertile mucus 2 days before my temps rose.  so online it says 20% chances of being pregnant, which seems a lot less than i'd expect.

here's hoping everyone else is doing a better job TTA than i was!

that said, i think after this, we'd be TTC for the foreseeable future....

Well we had the same % I think and well, #3 is on it's way - coming to be in January 2013! Keep us posted lol

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#7 of 54 Old 05-23-2012, 11:09 AM

Oh, good!  A new thread!

Cassiani, as a fellow Creighton user, I was wondering how helpful you feel temping has been.  I was talking to my instructor, and she told me that while Creighton officially discourages temping, she personally doesn't see anything wrong with it and thought it might help me feel more confident.  Do you like the combo of Creighton and temps? 

PS-If it turns out you're PG, I'll have learned a valuable lesson about DTD in the am before ovulation is confirmed...I'm not going to lie, we've been guilty of ignoring that rule!

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#8 of 54 Old 05-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_gooseberry View Post
-If it turns out you're PG, I'll have learned a valuable lesson about DTD in the am before ovulation is confirmed...I'm not going to lie, we've been guilty of ignoring that rule!

lol. i learned the lesson about thinking you know when you are going to o and not using protection before o....

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#9 of 54 Old 05-23-2012, 11:49 AM

LOL!!!  as parents, sometimes the am just seems so much easier!  and you and JMJ are the reason i found a creighton instructor, for which i am eternally grateful.  

i do find temping helps me understand.  i was on my way to the yellow stickers, so the pre-peak phase was long and very confusing. so i thought i could just my observations against another observation, i wouldn't temp consistently until i thought i was around ovulation. then i noticed that my temp rose the same day my fluids dried up.  sometimes a day before.  my instructor had discouraged it, but w/ long breastfeeding cycles, i mentioned i finally figured out my peak down confidently by temping.  he then encouraged it as a secondary method, not to predict ovulation, but to confirm it.  cause then i could have the confidence to enjoy the post-peak phase which i was desperately needing after a few 40+ day cycles.

i'll take the pregnancy test sunday morning, and hopefully know what the status is then.  

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#10 of 54 Old 05-29-2012, 04:21 AM

Cassiani, how's it going?

Not much up with me. I've been doing a terrible job tracking CM and my temps are still down. I've only rarely gotten enough to be in evidence when I wipe, usually I have to check internally and I'm just out of the habit.

I chart on paper... I'm old-fashioned! All of the "Fertility Friend changed my O date and I'm not sure about it" threads I see don't make me any more encouraged to use it... I'd rather figure it out myself without help from the computer. (IDK though if FF would have picked my O date better than I did on the cycle I got pregnant with my daughter--it took me quite a while to figure out, but obv I did O that cycle!)

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#11 of 54 Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 PM

Erigeron- thanks for checking in.  negative test sunday, which isn't surprising.  so period due tomorrow.  and flying tomorrow.  ha, fun.  that said, cm has been standard post-peak, or nil. my cervical position (i know i'm not supposed to check it, but it's so interesting) is tight and closed and long.  no sign of blood yet, but tomorrow would be the end of the 2ww.....

i figure i'll test again if i don't bleed tomorrow.  after i stop flying. 

i chart on paper per Creighton, and always prefer paper.  that said, i own a manual typewriter, so i'm definitely old fashioned on that front.  keep checking and keep us posted!

blessings and peace-

#12 of 54 Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 PM

Cassiani, thanks for starting the new thread, and good luck with TTC! Temping in my life has definitely fallen by the wayside lately.

My surgery went fine, but the news at today's post-op visit wasn't great. The pathologist thought part of the ovary was "borderline malignant" and sent it off to the Mayo Clinic for further analysis. I should have more definitive information early next week. It also turns out I have severe endometriosis, and even after the surgeon cleared out as much as she could, there was a lot left. With continuing treatment of the endometriosis, she said I have at best only a 20-30% chance of ever conceiving naturally. 

#13 of 54 Old 05-31-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics girl View Post

Cassiani, thanks for starting the new thread, and good luck with TTC! Temping in my life has definitely fallen by the wayside lately.

My surgery went fine, but the news at today's post-op visit wasn't great. The pathologist thought part of the ovary was "borderline malignant" and sent it off to the Mayo Clinic for further analysis. I should have more definitive information early next week. It also turns out I have severe endometriosis, and even after the surgeon cleared out as much as she could, there was a lot left. With continuing treatment of the endometriosis, she said I have at best only a 20-30% chance of ever conceiving naturally. 

Physics girl, here is some info on NaPro surgery.  They have the highest rates of success for treating endo and other gyn disorders.  My mother had endo so bad she eventually needed a hysterectomy, and she was told she would NEVER have children.  She ended up having three after no special treatment.  Endometriosis is an awful diagnosis, but not a hopeless one.  I'm sorry you are having to deal with several scary reproductive issues at once!  I'll keep you in my prayers!

As for me, I'm having minute amounts of fertile-type mucus, and it's getting frustrating. 

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#14 of 54 Old 06-01-2012, 07:45 AM

positive test this morning.

physics girl- the best to you in all of this.  and for rest and recovery and peace.

#15 of 54 Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 AM

Congratulations! How exciting. biggrinbounce.gif

#16 of 54 Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:

I had a feeling! :)

#17 of 54 Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 PM
JMJ

Congratulations, Cassi!  I'm so happy for you!

Physics girl, I'm so sorry to hear about the test results.  As far as endometriosis is concerned, I would definitely look into NaPro.  The problem with treatment is that if you do a surgery to remove the endometriosis, it tends to just create more scar tissue, so there's little or no gain.  NaPro has developed a new surgical technique that minimizes scarring and has absolutely astonishing results when it comes to helping women with endometriosis conceive, far greater than the 20-30% figure you were quoted, and definitely greater than other (much more expensive) treatments, including IVF.

#18 of 54 Old 06-01-2012, 12:21 PM

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm officially TTC now so I'm over on the TTC forum instead. Happy charting everyone!

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#19 of 54 Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm officially TTC now so I'm over on the TTC forum instead. Happy charting everyone!

Thanks for checking in! Congrats on TTC, hope you get your BFP quickly :) 

Do you want me to take you off the list?

#20 of 54 Old 06-01-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

physics girl- the best to you in all of this.  and for rest and recovery and peace.

Congratulations Cassiani! That is wonderful news :)

#21 of 54 Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics girl View Post

physics girl - wishing you a speedy recovery. I hope you can find a treatment that protects your fertility as much as possible.  I'm sure it's very emotional and worrisome to go through this. I hope you are doing okay. 

#22 of 54 Old 06-03-2012, 01:02 PM

Hi everyone! I, too, am officially TTC this month! Thank you all for your kind words and help as I've learned about FAM. smile.gif

Me + DH  partners.gif And E baby.gif makes three! 3.2.13 stillheart.gif

#23 of 54 Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 AM

Well, I keep missing days and not temping due to waking up at the wrong time, kid knocking my thermometer off the nightstand, etc. I'm pretty sure, though, that I did ovulate this cycle and had a 7-day luteal phase... ugh. AF is here today.

#24 of 54 Old 06-07-2012, 03:58 PM

Thanks to everyone for the support. The surgeon removed as much endometriosis as she could during the surgery so, unfortunately, it's a bit late for me to be learning about NaPro options.

The Mayo Clinic confirmed that part of the ovary was indeed borderline malignant, and my surgeon is referring me to a gynecologic oncologist to determine how to proceed. It may simply be a matter of doing frequent blood work and scans to be sure nothing is growing back, I may need more surgery now, or I may need a few months of treatment with Lupron to reduce the amount of endometriosis before another surgery to make sure the severe endometriosis wasn't masking something more serious. Future fertility, while still a consideration, is of secondary importance right now.

#25 of 54 Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 PM

Yikes... I hope for the best possible outcomes for you, physics girl.

I realized in my attempts to streamline my life, that even though I like to chart on paper, charting online will mean I can get rid of one piece of paper. Can anybody tell me about the costs of using Fertility Friend? I can't seem to find any useful information on their site about it.

#26 of 54 Old 06-08-2012, 05:58 AM

Thinking of you, physics girl.

Last cycle was crazy for me- lots of traveling, and an illness that I'm pretty sure lined up with ovulation. I didn't temp much, so I can't be certain. However, AF showed up yesterday after a 31 day cycle. Is it weird to be excited about a "normal" cycle? I normally have such long cycles, 35-45 days. Of course, since I didn't really temp, it could have been annovulatory or I had a messed up LP or something. But I'm going with the positive thought of "maybe my body isn't as jacked up as I thought it was". wink1.gif

Jen - 29, part-time LDRP RN and Birth Consultant. DH - 33. Married since 2006. brokenheart.gif 3/09. DD 2010.  Expecting a surprise new one in May 2014!

#27 of 54 Old 06-08-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

I realized in my attempts to streamline my life, that even though I like to chart on paper, charting online will mean I can get rid of one piece of paper. Can anybody tell me about the costs of using Fertility Friend? I can't seem to find any useful information on their site about it.

i didnt pay anything to use fertility friend online...

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#28 of 54 Old 06-09-2012, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey everyone! It's been a while. Just getting used to life with two kids. 

I have a question for you all in regards to postpartum nursing infertility. I had been tandem nursing, but my older daughter (3 years) stopped nursing a couple of weeks ago. The 4.5 month old still nurses like a champ and I have been pumping once a day (to have around just in case). We're all down with what I'm pretty sure is whooping cough. I woke up this morning and I'm spotting a bit. Can being sick cause you to spot? Would my 3 year old ceasing to nurse give my body enough of a jump to start fertility again? Do I need to treat this as a return of fertility? Definitely don't need this going on on top of everything. Ugh.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#29 of 54 Old 06-09-2012, 02:22 PM

Thinking I'm going to jump in as my first ppaf is coming to an end! I would love to chat and get to know you ladies who are also CTA.  My chart is boring right now, but here it is. 

I have one DD who is 3.5 and my DS is just shy of 10 months old and is still nursing (around the clock)!  Was super bummed to see AF last week.  But, here we go, I suppose!

My chart

Lmk if that link doesn't work!  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#30 of 54 Old 06-10-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Thinking I'm going to jump in as my first ppaf is coming to an end! I would love to chat and get to know you ladies who are also CTA.  My chart is boring right now, but here it is. 

I have one DD who is 3.5 and my DS is just shy of 10 months old and is still nursing (around the clock)!  Was super bummed to see AF last week.  But, here we go, I suppose!

My chart

Lmk if that link doesn't work!  

welcome!  I added you to the list and I think your chart link is all set too :) Glad to have you here!

Tags
Fertility , Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page