Bringing balance to the force - myth or some truth to it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I are having an ongoing debate.  The question is basically theoretical, since our finances are preventing us from really considering baby  #4 right now.  Can adding baby #4 bring balance back to the force?  DH and I are both from families of 3 and in both cases the middle child struggled at finding his place and feeling like he fit in.  I see the same struggle going on with my middle guy and it breaks my heart.  My theory is that baby #4 gives DS2 someone to have as his buddy, or if their personalities don't mesh it might adjust the dynamics so that one of the other kids and DS2 form that special bond that I think he feels like he's missing.  Right now DS1 and DD have a close relationship and DS2 is sort of the odd man out.  DH thinks it will only add to the chaos and the further upset the balance between parents and children which is clearly true.  But he isn't convinced it will make a difference in the dynamics with the kids. 

Curious to hear from those of you with larger families or who grew up in larger families.

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#2 of 3 Old 06-03-2012, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have 5 kiddos and adding a fourth will change the dynamics of the family but there is no way to know how it will change. I do not think adding a fourth will balance anything, it will just change things. My children's relationships with each other have changed over the years and they will continue to change, with different children being closer at different times. DS2 could still be the odd man out with the other three really getting a long great. My brother (the middle of 3) and I (the oldest) have always gotten along great. My sister (the youngest) has always been the odd man out but it's a personality thing. Don't know if that helps but it's my $0.02 :)

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#3 of 3 Old 06-07-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the perspective Patti. 

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X

Tags
Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page