Thinking about removing Mirena IUD after only 3 weeks! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am new to this site and I have been scanning through previous topics debating on whether or not I should get my IUD removed. I had it put in three weeks ago and it was the most painful experience I've ever had. It took two attempts and a cervical block to finally get it in. I cramped badly for two days after and then didn't have much cramping after that so I was overall satisfied BUT I've noticed a major decrease in my sex drive when we do have intercourse it is painful and not as enjoyable and I have this "brain fog" where I feel totally out of it most of the time and then there are these heart palpitations and anxiety episodes. I figured the mood stuff has to do with the hormones so I have tried to overlook all of it and then..yesterday out of nowhere I started feeling some burning with urination and I thought I might have been a little dehydrated so I increased my fluids. Within two hours I was having severe discomfort and the symptoms of a raging UTI. Luckily I was able to get the doctor after hours to prescribe me some antibiotics (not without fussing at me for calling him after hours first though) Anyway I've been taking the meds and feeling a little better but I decided to google "Mirena and UTI" and lo and behold!  a whole string of articles on a possible link between the IUD and chronic UTI infections. I was wondering if any of you out there have had a similar experience with Mirena. I am seriously considering getting it removed and if there is a connection to the UTI I will definitely be getting it removed. I don't mess around with UTIs it is not worth it to me!

On a similar note..is there a natural method that is effective? I used cyclebeads(standard days method) for three months and LOVED it but on the forth month got lazy and ended up pregnant but miscarried at 9 weeks. Thats when my OBGYN suggested the Mirena and told me there weren't ANY side effects so of course I thought "oh how wonderful!" but unfortunately that has not been my experience so far and it seems to me that other women are having issues with it too.  :(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Hi juniebird and welcome to Mothering! It looks like your post was missed so I thought I'd bump it up for attention. 

Anyone have any advice to share?

Old 07-19-2012, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Your gyn told you there were no side effects??  That's an out-and-out lie!  IT's hormonal birth control and IUDs are KNOWN for cramping and bleeding and carry a risk of uterine perforation!  WOW!

I chart to avoid and use condoms.  You might want to check out fertilityfriend.com and see if charting might be something you'd like to look into.  It's really easy but you need to actually do it.  

Personally, hormonal birth control is out for me.  The pill made me sick and/or crazy every single month I was on it.  I hated every day of it.

Kris: "auntie" to W (7yrs)  and Z (5yrs)

→Waiting to start my own little family←
Old 07-19-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. I decided to get it taken out a few days ago. The doctor made it sound like my symptoms were in my head and that there was no way the IUD was causing it. Psh Ok well all I know is that my symptoms got better within 24 hrs of having it removed. I am also someone who cannot handle the hormonal birth control. I had told him this before getting the IUD and was assured that it wouldn't be noticeable. It was noticeable, in fact, I also had major swelling and itching in my vagina that has now gone away. Right after getting it removed I also had a really horrible unnatural smell coming from down there but now its getting better. I want to let anyone out there who is feeling crazy on this thing and wondering if they are losing their mind..You are not crazy! Don't let the doctors tell you it's in your head. Get it out if it doesn't feel right!

I think I am going to try charting. I've decided on condoms for now which my husband is totally comfortable with.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 AM

I'm doing charting and condoms.  Works pretty well for us. :)

How long have you been with this gyn?  I wouldn't take him not believing you about your symptoms very lightly. :-/

Old 07-27-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

I've been with them since April when I went for my prenatal appointment. I was really shocked because the doctor seemed like a good fit then and was really supportive and kind when I had my miscarriage but then something changed when I went for my IUD. They had trouble getting it in and the doctor acted annoyed by that and then fussed me out when I called on the weekend for a Rx for my UTI (that I now believe was somehow linked to the IUD) . Who knows but I will definitely not be going back there. It is a shame.. I am glad I am realizing it now because I would not want someone like that delivering my child!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:27 PM

I guess that's a good way to look at it!  I hope you can find someone who takes your thoughts and concerns seriously this time :)

Old 07-28-2012, 09:53 PM

what about the non-hormonal copper IUD?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebirdie View Post

I am new to this site and I have been scanning through previous topics debating on whether or not I should get my IUD removed. I had it put in three weeks ago and it was the most painful experience I've ever had. It took two attempts and a cervical block to finally get it in. I cramped badly for two days after and then didn't have much cramping after that so I was overall satisfied BUT I've noticed a major decrease in my sex drive when we do have intercourse it is painful and not as enjoyable and I have this "brain fog" where I feel totally out of it most of the time and then there are these heart palpitations and anxiety episodes. I figured the mood stuff has to do with the hormones so I have tried to overlook all of it and then..yesterday out of nowhere I started feeling some burning with urination and I thought I might have been a little dehydrated so I increased my fluids. Within two hours I was having severe discomfort and the symptoms of a raging UTI. Luckily I was able to get the doctor after hours to prescribe me some antibiotics (not without fussing at me for calling him after hours first though) Anyway I've been taking the meds and feeling a little better but I decided to google "Mirena and UTI" and lo and behold!  a whole string of articles on a possible link between the IUD and chronic UTI infections. I was wondering if any of you out there have had a similar experience with Mirena. I am seriously considering getting it removed and if there is a connection to the UTI I will definitely be getting it removed. I don't mess around with UTIs it is not worth it to me!
On a similar note..is there a natural method that is effective? I used cyclebeads(standard days method) for three months and LOVED it but on the forth month got lazy and ended up pregnant but miscarried at 9 weeks. Thats when my OBGYN suggested the Mirena and told me there weren't ANY side effects so of course I thought "oh how wonderful!" but unfortunately that has not been my experience so far and it seems to me that other women are having issues with it too.  greensad.gif
I have had the merena and the paragaurd and I had the same side effect with both of them

Tags
Family Planning
User Tag List