Signs of fertility returning post birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-21-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What did you notice when your cycle came prior to the first time back after birth? As in signs of fertility?

DD is EBF.

Thanks!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#2 of 4 Old 07-22-2012, 10:00 AM

At around 4 months pp, I would start to notice shifts in my mood and figure that my hormones were acting up.  So I always started charting the moment I noticed that my body was acting hormonal again.  It was not a direct, single thing that caught my eye, but a shift in mood, a shift in nursing patterns (not 3 wake-ups between midnight and 6am).  It was always a good idea to start charting b/c usually I had a slight attempt at an ovulation, sometimes 2, and by 6 months, while EBF, my cycle would return.  

Many of my mother friends had nothing like this, and didn't have any cycles while breastfeeding.  I got pregnant when I was nursing a 9 month old and a 2 1/2 year old.  But I was cycling.  So, for me, charting any time after the first 3 months of pregnancy was a great way to feel at peace about using the LAM method and confirming that my body wasn't ovulating.  

I have 4 little ones, last 2 born at home.  So congrats on the new little lady and enjoy motherhood!

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#3 of 4 Old 07-26-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Did you notice cervical fluid changes that would indicate ovulating? I charted to prevent and then get pregnant but I'm not interested in charting again, my cycles were very irregular to begin with and I can only imagine what they'll be like while nursing. I'm noticing some cervical fluid but not sure if that means pending fertility or just normal discharge.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#4 of 4 Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 AM

lots and lots of fluids while nursing.  but i didn't start paying attention to them immediately.  once i did, i was charting them for my security.  now i will do that almost immediately as i'm better at recognizing my neutral vs. my fertile fluids.  even when pregnant i had lots of mucus in phases.  so, the fluids are a great way of recognizing ovulation, but only if you're really good at them.  i also had really irregular cycles and nursing was impossible for FAM for me since cycles would be 62 days, then 48  days, then 45 days, and on down, and temps didn't help b/c i never had a 3 hour window of sleep, so temps were out.  My babies love nursing from 1am-5am...  After my first i was regular for the first time in my life.  so be prepared for that option as well, after nursing settles down.  it took over a year for my cycles to get regular again.

the hard part about the fluids was that my body would try and ovulate, and the fluids were spike, but the temp never did.  and this would happen one or two times before my first ovulation.  that was always very frustrating and scary.

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!

Tags
Fertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page