Mothering Forum banner

Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness August 2012

2K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  dreamingtree 
#1 ·
flower.gif
August 2012
flower.gif

Welcome to the August 2012 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); some are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" or pregnant and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post last month, you may have been deleted from the list. If you have joined recently, please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If you were mistakenly deleted, you would like to be added/removed, or you spot anything you would like me to change, please post or PM me to let me know. Remember, you must post in August if you want to be on the September list!

To those who are new, welcome!
Welcome.gif

Who We Are

birdie.lee

*Baby_Cakes BFPChart2.gif

*blessedwith7 BFPChart2.gif

*House of Peace

*erigeron

*dreamingtree BFPChart2.gif

*inthemeadow

*JenRN

jesusfollower

*JMJ

*lactatinggirl

*librarygirl BFPChart2.gif

Lionessmom BFPChart2.gif

motray36

*mtgooseberry

OneWithTwoBFPChart2.gif

*organicviolin

*physics girl BFPChart2.gif

sleepingbeautyBFPChart2.gif

WifeofAnt BFPChart2.gif

Graduates

Pregnant!
belly.gif

alyadri BFPChart2.gif (March 2012)

justKate BFPChart2.gif (STM) (April 2012)

miss_honeyb BFPChart2.gif (April 2012)

FaithHopeLove29 BFPChart2.gif

Wiki Resources for Charting to Avoid

Reasons to Choose Natural Family Planning - Why would you want to use charting to plan your family, anyway? Feel free to add your own reasons for charting!

Types of Natural Family Planning - It's not just the rhythm method. They've got this down to a science with options galore!

NFP or FAM Methods While Breastfeeding - You have options in the postpartum period while your fertility is returning!

Resources For Learning About Fertility Cycles - Find books to read or websites to visit, find an instructor, post your chart online, and learn about how your diet affects your fertility.

Fertility Awareness Method - A quick-start guide to the Fertility Awareness, a version of the Sympto-Thermal Method taught by Toni Weschler in her book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

Common Abbreviations for Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness - BBT, EWCM, TCOYF, and more! Learn what all these crazy acronyms mean here.

Happy Charting Everyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello ladies! Please be sure to post this month if you want to be included in next month's list. I haven't been deleting anyone off the list so far, but next month I'm going to only include those who have posted.

Happy charting! Hope everyone is doing well :)

#3 ·
Hello!
my DS is 14 1/2 months old, and I just got my period back yesterday morning. I'm so thankful I was infertile for so long. So I'm pretty new when it comes to what cycles are like after an extended amhenorrea. Yesterday and today have been extremely light. Mostly brown/light pink blood. I've read that the longer it takes for your cycles to return, the sooner they become regular once they do return. Any one have their own experience to add to this? What can I expect from my cycles now that they are back? Will they be pretty regular from the start? My husband and I are still deciding whether to wait for another baby. We will have it figured out in a day or so though! :)

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterPrego View Post

Hello!
my DS is 14 1/2 months old, and I just got my period back yesterday morning. I'm so thankful I was infertile for so long. So I'm pretty new when it comes to what cycles are like after an extended amhenorrea. Yesterday and today have been extremely light. Mostly brown/light pink blood. I've read that the longer it takes for your cycles to return, the sooner they become regular once they do return. Any one have their own experience to add to this? What can I expect from my cycles now that they are back? Will they be pretty regular from the start? My husband and I are still deciding whether to wait for another baby. We will have it figured out in a day or so though! :)
after my 2 girls it took me 21 mo to get it back. with the first i got preg the first o when i got it back. with the second i was charting to avoid. i thought i would go right back to a normal cycle, which had been long for me. the first 2 cycles were exactly the same, o at day 22 and an 11 day lp i believe. so i was sure the 3rd month would be the same. i o'ed day 14 and now have a new baby. i did not follow the rule of not using protection until after o. whoops. the day after dtd i noticed ewcm and so i used an opk and it was starting to go pos. i got a pos the day after that and bam! preggo. learned my lesson. from now on, i know it is not safe until after o. lol. doesnt matter how many cycles you have had that have been consistent, you can always get that one cycle you o a little early or late. esp if you changed your diet, supps, exercise, or sleeping habits.

#5 ·
I'm checking in for the month. I had my surgery, a unilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, on Thursday. I'm doing ok and recovering faster than I did after the first surgery, and I'm anxiously awaiting the results from pathology. My oncologist had concerns about what he saw in the initial frozen sections but wants to wait for the full analysis before making any decisions. I am fervently hoping that it'll turn out to be borderline malignant again, and not something worse.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics girl View Post

I'm checking in for the month. I had my surgery, a unilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, on Thursday. I'm doing ok and recovering faster than I did after the first surgery, and I'm anxiously awaiting the results from pathology. My oncologist had concerns about what he saw in the initial frozen sections but wants to wait for the full analysis before making any decisions. I am fervently hoping that it'll turn out to be borderline malignant again, and not something worse.
So how is all of this affecting your cycles and charting? How will it affect you future cycles and ability to chart? I'm curious as to how major medical issues affect charting. You don't hear a lot about it. I'm having problems keeping my platelet count up and I'm hoping to manage the problem (ideopathic thrombocytopenia, or ITP) with diet, but I may end up with a splenectomy. I sincerely hope you are on your way back to full health, anyway.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_gooseberry View Post

So how is all of this affecting your cycles and charting? How will it affect you future cycles and ability to chart?
Thank you for the well wishes. I hope you are able to resolve your platelet issues without surgery. Do you mind my asking how diet can affect that?

I haven't been formally charting since before my first surgery in May. After that surgery, which included a hysteroscopy and D&C to check out my abnormally thick endometrium as well as removal of tumors from my ovary, I had a fever for several days, which made temping useless, and vaginal bleeding for 16 days straight. My periods at the end of June and end of July showed up right on schedule, though, and I had a few days of eggwhite mucus mid-cycle in July. I haven't dtd since April though, so not having data hasn't really been a problem.

I'm not sure about future charting. If my latest results are frankly malignant rather than borderline, I may end up having to have my other ovary and uterus removed, chemotherapy, or both. If it's just borderline, my doctor is strongly urging hormonal contraception, and I am considering giving it another try. There are many women on this board for whom NFP is an important part of their core values, and I respect them greatly, but I personally chose FAM because I felt it was the option that worked best for me, my partner, and my health at the time, and that may no longer be the case so it may make sense to reassess.

Also, apologies if any of this is hard to follow or strangely worded. Pain medication is turning my brain to mush right now.

#10 ·
congrats to those ttc or expecting!

<<hugs>> to those experiencing medical difficulties.

i myself only have one tube and have a long family history of med issues with reproductive organs. so i am always on the look out for anything that could be wrong.

i am only a month pp, but keeping an eye on things. this one actually sleeps 5 hours straight at night. my others didnt. so it is making me worried that my fertility could return sooner. i really dont want to have kids 10 or even 18 mo apart. i so could not handle it. i still dont feel like we are in a good rhythm yet and the kids start back to school next thur. i think i might have finally stopped spotting though. so i am just waiting for my normal 8 weeks bleed, then hopefully nothing more for 18 months. i am sure i will be in here bugging everyone about it the whole time though :) i always found it the hardest part of the whole thing. the watching and waiting to figure out when it was starting back up.

#11 ·
Quote:

Thank you for the well wishes. I hope you are able to resolve your platelet issues without surgery. Do you mind my asking how diet can affect that?

I haven't been formally charting since before my first surgery in May. After that surgery, which included a hysteroscopy and D&C to check out my abnormally thick endometrium as well as removal of tumors from my ovary, I had a fever for several days, which made temping useless, and vaginal bleeding for 16 days straight. My periods at the end of June and end of July showed up right on schedule, though, and I had a few days of eggwhite mucus mid-cycle in July. I haven't dtd since April though, so not having data hasn't really been a problem.

I'm not sure about future charting. If my latest results are frankly malignant rather than borderline, I may end up having to have my other ovary and uterus removed, chemotherapy, or both. If it's just borderline, my doctor is strongly urging hormonal contraception, and I am considering giving it another try. There are many women on this board for whom NFP is an important part of their core values, and I respect them greatly, but I personally chose FAM because I felt it was the option that worked best for me, my partner, and my health at the time, and that may no longer be the case so it may make sense to reassess.

Also, apologies if any of this is hard to follow or strangely worded. Pain medication is turning my brain to mush right now.
Well, there are tons of suggestions for foods that help and hinder platelet production out there. Lots of them are outright contradictory, though. One suggests strongly concentrating on anti-oxidant rich foods. Another specifically prohibits things like fruit, dark chocolate, and red wine. So I'm just going to try to eat better in general.

I wish FAM/NFP was more acceptable in secular circles. I am one who uses it as part of my religious beliefs, but I'd still use it even if that weren't an issue. I admire women who can see beyond the pharmaceutical propaganda, and accept FAM/NFP as a valid method. I hope someday more women are able to realize that it can be a good choice for certain times in their lives. Keep healing!

#13 ·
Hi everyone, posting to join in! Got my period at the end of last month after a pregnancy and year of bf-ing. DD weaned herself and within 2 days...
af.gif

We will be charting for now, using FF. I've been charting on-and-off due to pg/bf for 8 years, but am definitely rusty and so may have some "beginner" questions. Especially since I'm sure I will be irregular for a while (I was never really regular to begin with!) and wasn't very stringent between DS and DD.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by motray36 View Post

Hi everyone, posting to join in! Got my period at the end of last month after a pregnancy and year of bf-ing. DD weaned herself and within 2 days...
af.gif

We will be charting for now, using FF. I've been charting on-and-off due to pg/bf for 8 years, but am definitely rusty and so may have some "beginner" questions. Especially since I'm sure I will be irregular for a while (I was never really regular to begin with!) and wasn't very stringent between DS and DD.
Welcome!! Ask away, hopefully we can give you some answers that will help you :)

#15 ·
Hello,

I'm going to join in here. DS2 is 8 weeks old, and this is a topic that's been on my mind. It's been about 6 years since reading TCOYF, so the nitty-gritties are a little blurred for me.

I had been charting for 5 years prior to conceiving DS2 (our back-up method when we knew I was fertile didn't exactly go as planned, then voila- pregnant!)

I've been getting the odd gob of EWCM, so I really should print off some more charts and start temp'ing. If you can link to any great resources for CTA PP, that would be great. I went 15 months before AF returned after DS1, so I'm hoping things will go that way again!

I could also use a reminder about the rule for how far after noticing EWCM you should wait to be safe.

Hoping to get back on track!!

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual View Post

I've been getting the odd gob of EWCM, so I really should print off some more charts and start temp'ing. If you can link to any great resources for CTA PP, that would be great. I went 15 months before AF returned after DS1, so I'm hoping things will go that way again!

I could also use a reminder about the rule for how far after noticing EWCM you should wait to be safe.
Did you ever establish your BIP after your lochia flow stopped? My BIP was yellow tinged EWCM, which was really strange to me, because before pregnancy that would have meant extremely fertile!!! Anyway, I didn't get my period back until 14 1/2 months (2 weeks ago), and it still doesn't look like I'm even going to ovulate this cycle....? I don't know....still waiting to see what's going on!!

#17 ·
Just a random question for anyone out there... how long did you get back to "regular" cycles after PP? I know it's different for every woman, but I can not remember how long it took with DD and now I'm on cycle #1 after DS and I'm wondering what it was like for some of you.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiemama09 View Post

Just a random question for anyone out there... how long did you get back to "regular" cycles after PP? I know it's different for every woman, but I can not remember how long it took with DD and now I'm on cycle #1 after DS and I'm wondering what it was like for some of you.
W/DD, I got pregnant at 10mo PP w/o having had a period. I am now 12mo PP w/no sign of impending fertility, but DS is nursing more than DD did at this point.

Between pregnancy and BFing, it has been 41 months since I last had a period. Craaaaazzzzy!

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterPrego View Post

Did you ever establish your BIP after your lochia flow stopped? My BIP was yellow tinged EWCM, which was really strange to me, because before pregnancy that would have meant extremely fertile!!! Anyway, I didn't get my period back until 14 1/2 months (2 weeks ago), and it still doesn't look like I'm even going to ovulate this cycle....? I don't know....still waiting to see what's going on!!
No...I'm starting to think it's slipprier than before though because it used to be a very obvious shift and now I'm constantly worried what I find is fertile CM. it's only been a couple of weeks since PP bleeding stopped, then I had a pap which I think mucked with things again, so really I've only had a week of un-interupted cervical CM.

I think I will reserve the freak outs for full-on stretchy EWCM and assume anything less is normal for now (if things continue how they are).

#23 ·
Hey there, I just read TCOYF. I am getting married (!!!) in May, and the plan is for me to go off of hormonal birth control in October when DF (darling fiancé? Is that a thing? haha) is on tour in Europe and there won't be any chances of hiccups during the FAM earning curve. I wanted to introduce myself and not lurk, because I am going to begin "practicing" charting in September. (I know the hormones in the birth control mean that my body won't operate like it would naturally, but I want to get into the habit of temping and checking CM so it becomes second-nature by the time I start charting without being "under the influence" of The Pill.

I'm inspired by everyone using NFP/FAM and am grateful to everyone posting so that I can learn and grow. I'm taking notes!
notes2.gif

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownDoula View Post

Hey there, I just read TCOYF. I am getting married (!!!) in May, and the plan is for me to go off of hormonal birth control in October when DF (darling fiancé? Is that a thing? haha) is on tour in Europe and there won't be any chances of hiccups during the FAM earning curve. I wanted to introduce myself and not lurk, because I am going to begin "practicing" charting in September. (I know the hormones in the birth control mean that my body won't operate like it would naturally, but I want to get into the habit of temping and checking CM so it becomes second-nature by the time I start charting without being "under the influence" of The Pill.

I'm inspired by everyone using NFP/FAM and am grateful to everyone posting so that I can learn and grow. I'm taking notes!
notes2.gif
I've read a lot of great testimonials about women taking Vitex (an herb also called chaste tree berry) after coming off of hormonal birth control, and they said it regulated their cycles within 1-2 months after taking it! It may be worth trying, since I've heard that it can otherwise take 6 months or more on your own?? Good luck! :)

#25 ·
The news at my post-op visit was relatively good. There was more tumor than they had initially thought, but it was still only borderline so I get to keep the other ovary for now. However, I will be going on the pill since suppressing ovulation reduces the chance of a recurrence. I appreciate all of the help and support y'all have offered while I was learning about FAM and through all of this.

#26 ·
Quote:

The news at my post-op visit was relatively good. There was more tumor than they had initially thought, but it was still only borderline so I get to keep the other ovary for now. However, I will be going on the pill since suppressing ovulation reduces the chance of a recurrence. I appreciate all of the help and support y'all have offered while I was learning about FAM and through all of this.
Glad to hear you still have your ovary for now. Lots of good thoughts sending your way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.