Charting To Avoid-FAM/NFP September 2012 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

flower.gif   September 2012 flower.gif

Welcome to the September 2012 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); some are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" or pregnant and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post last month, you may have been deleted from the list. If you have joined recently, please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If you were mistakenly deleted, you would like to be added/removed, or you spot anything you would like me to change, please post or PM me to let me know. Remember, you must post in September if you want to be on the October list!

To those who are new, welcome! Welcome.gif

Who We Are

birdie.lee

*Baby_Cakes BFPChart2.gif

*blessedwith7 BFPChart2.gif

*House of Peace

*erigeron

*dreamingtree BFPChart2.gif

*inthemeadow

*JenRN

*jesusfollower

*JMJ

*lactatinggirl

*librarygirl BFPChart2.gif

*Lionessmom BFPChart2.gif

*motray36

*mtgooseberry

*OneWithTwoBFPChart2.gif

*organicviolin

*physics girl BFPChart2.gif

*sleepingbeautyBFPChart2.gif

*WifeofAnt BFPChart2.gif

Graduates

Pregnant! belly.gif

alyadri BFPChart2.gif (March 2012)

justKate BFPChart2.gif (STM) (April 2012)

miss_honeyb BFPChart2.gif (April 2012)

FaithHopeLove29 BFPChart2.gif

Wiki Resources for Charting to Avoid

Reasons to Choose Natural Family Planning - Why would you want to use charting to plan your family, anyway? Feel free to add your own reasons for charting!

Types of Natural Family Planning - It's not just the rhythm method. They've got this down to a science with options galore!

NFP or FAM Methods While Breastfeeding - You have options in the postpartum period while your fertility is returning!

Resources For Learning About Fertility Cycles - Find books to read or websites to visit, find an instructor, post your chart online, and learn about how your diet affects your fertility.

Fertility Awareness Method - A quick-start guide to the Fertility Awareness, a version of the Sympto-Thermal Method taught by Toni Weschler in her book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

Common Abbreviations for Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness - BBT, EWCM, TCOYF, and more! Learn what all these crazy acronyms mean here.

Happy Charting Everyone!

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-05-2012, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the new thread!

AFM - CD16 and temps still low.  Baby is sleeping a tad bit better (he was sick and waking frequently to nurse) so I'm hoping my temps aren't as rocky the next few mornings to pinpoint O. 

Dropped my girlie off for her first day of preschool (pre k 4) today!  They grow so darn fast.  happytears.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#3 of 11 Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Nothing much here. Keep thinking I should temp (almost 3 months post-partum) but then I think of AF not returning for 15 mos with DS1 and think why bother?!

Perhaps I will assemble the thermometre and charts next to my bed so I can at least make an attempt from time to time, even if I'm not diligent.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#4 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Would someone mind looking at my chart? I'm 15-16 DPO today but got a BFN this morning.  My LP has never been longer than 11-12 days in the year that I've been charting.  I'm confused. I know about luteal cysts but .... how often does that actually happen? I know the chart is a little light on data, I just wasn't quite as thorough this month but I did notice a wet sensation, light cramping, and the most fertile quality CM on day 14. 

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/mhw76/charts/default.aspx

#5 of 11 Old 09-15-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingtree View Post

Would someone mind looking at my chart? I'm 15-16 DPO today but got a BFN this morning.  My LP has never been longer than 11-12 days in the year that I've been charting.  I'm confused. I know about luteal cysts but .... how often does that actually happen? I know the chart is a little light on data, I just wasn't quite as thorough this month but I did notice a wet sensation, light cramping, and the most fertile quality CM on day 14. 

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/mhw76/charts/default.aspx

I'm not much use for chart reading since we do Creighton, but has anything been going on in your life that might cause your body to gear up to ovulate and then shut down before it could happen?  You might be in for a double peak (aka missed period).  Wish I could be more helpful!

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#6 of 11 Old 09-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_gooseberry View Post

I'm not much use for chart reading since we do Creighton, but has anything been going on in your life that might cause your body to gear up to ovulate and then shut down before it could happen?  You might be in for a double peak (aka missed period).  Wish I could be more helpful!

I don't think so, I'm fairly certain I did ovulate and all my temps were steady, normal ranges for my post ovulatory phase.  I did start my period on Friday, with a final LP of 15-16 days depending on the actual O date. So either my LP randomly jumped up a few days inexplicably,  luteal cyst? but I don't know if that is really a possibility, or maybe I had an early miscarriage? My bleeding is heavier than normal.  How would I know if I had an early miscarriage? I wonder because the pg tests I had taken on Day 29 seemed to show the faintest of lines, realllllllllly faint as in I wasn't sure if I was just imagining it or if it was an evap. My friend thought she saw a line.  But I'm not entirely convinced. But then on Day 30 I had a completely white test and my period started. 

I'm not sure if I would even want to know if it was an early miscarriage but it would kind of be good to know whether we "slipped up".  If I had a blood HcG test right away maybe it would show if I had been pregnant? I guess there's not a definitive answer. I may call my provider tomorrow just to ask.

#7 of 11 Old 09-20-2012, 12:13 PM

Hello! I'm actually pregnant with my second right now and expecting in January, but am trying to figure out what I will do for family planning after the baby is born. Hormonal birth control does not seem to work for me (I got pregnant once on it, and another pill gave me morning sickness-like symptoms. Ugh.)

With DD AF returned at 9 months PP and came back very regularly, normal cycles. 

If I'm going to chart, when do I plan to start? It won't be reliable if I'm getting up at night, right? 

#8 of 11 Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 PM
JMJ

Dreamingtree, I know it's a little late now, but a blood HCG test would be likely to detect an early miscarriage if you had it right as soon as your period started, but not long after. I did that once a couple days after my period started when I thought it might be an early miscarriage, and I still didn't get any firm answers. Hugs. I know how hard it is to not know for sure.

MamaBookworm, CM is not affected by getting up at night, and if you're just getting up briefly to go to the bathroom or waking to nurse a baby in your bed, temperature is not likely to be a problem, though it could be more difficult if you're getting out of bed to nurse frequently and for long periods throughout the night. Try it and see! Before your period comes back, you'd be mainly looking at CM anyway. If you keep an eye out for CM, you'd want to start charting no later than when you start seeing significant amounts of CM. If you qualify for LAM, you may consider beginning to chart when you no longer qualify for LAM (6 month old baby, introduction of solids or other supplemental feeds, or any bleeding), or some mothers choose to start charting earlier, like after 56 days while exclusively breastfeeding or immediately if formula feeding. It gets boring to chart when there's nothing going on, though. Also check out the resources on NFP while breastfeeding in the first post.

#9 of 11 Old 09-26-2012, 09:43 AM

i am only 12 weeks pp. i was checking for signs of o though bc my baby sleeps through the night. at least 5 hour a night if not more when not having a growth spurt. i had been having lots of cm this time and for the last 4 weeks it has been super creamy. well the 2 weeks ago it got super watery and at the end of that i swear i saw some ew but i thought it was just leftovers from dtd. it did not look like enough or stretchy enough kwim? and my cm went back to creamy. well i did have some o like feeling pain about that time. but i thought it could have just been from being constipated. i have been battling that lately. 2 days ago i had the o like pain again only on both sides and more consistent. so i go to the doc and she feels around. says i might have a small cyst on my rt ovary. the same one i first felt the pain from. i really wish i had been taking temps now. all i have been doing is charting cm. sigh. i guess i will know if i actually ovulated if i get my period. baby woke up at 2 am this morning and i went to nurse but there was no milk. it was there an hour later though. that was wierd. maybe i didnt o and the cyst is messing with my hormones. would starting back up on the epo help that? i am still drinking rrl, nettle leaf, and mothers milk tea. i drink loads of green tea too. i have been super hungry but i thought it was his growth spurt. i havent had an ovarian cyst in a very long time. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#10 of 11 Old 09-27-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

13mo PP, and still no sign of ovulation.  DS goes to daycare now 3 days a week, and I don't pump for it, but he still nurses quite a bit on days he's with me and during the night.  I keep trying to compare with my return to fertility last time, but too many of the variables are different and I just end up muddled.

Lionessmom, I'm not sure what to tell you.  I had bad ovarian cysts in high school, and I occasionally still get moments of the same kind of pain, but I don't know how ovulation pain compares to cyst pain.  I just know the twinges I sometimes feel aren't ovulation because I'm still without a period, and haven't had the right kind of mucus.  I suppose the only thing to do is just wait and see if AF comes.  I've often wondered how ovarian cysts would affect charting.  My instructor didn't really know when I asked her.  Anybody else have any idea about cysts and charting?   

#11 of 11 Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

New thread up!

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1364936/charting-to-avoid-fam-nfp-october-2012

Tags
Fertility , Family Planning

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page