Confused and hopefully didn't goof up! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Long story short- after the birth of my second child this past spring we opted for the mirena IUD. On September 24th I had it removed after having my hair fall out, depression, a huge weight gain and what we thought was a PID infection but was really my body trying to reject the darn thing. All the pain , daily heavy bleeding and moodiness went away in just a day or two and honestly I feel like I have stepped out of a fog. 

My husband and I decided that we were done with hormonal birth control and that we would try to time my cycles as he doesn't like condoms and honestly if we ended up getting pregnant it would only be a few months earlier then we had intended to start trying anyway. I am still trying to knock off the thirty pounds I gained in the three months after my IUD placement so I would personally prefer not to get pregnant now if I can avoid it.

With that in mind I started a chart to figure out my safe days , not safe days and the window to test for ovulation so I could chart that and keep up with it in the mean time. I started my period 9/25 and assumed based on the averages and the info available for NFP sources that I would be feasably safe until through 10-1 and that we would abstain or use spermicide from 10/2- 10/13 so that there wouldn't be any live sperm left any time near when theoretically I should ovulate. I boughtt a testing kit so I could find out when my LH spike happened and fine tune our charting.

I followed the instructions from the box which said you can start to test 10 and 11 days after AF.  It had a faint but definately legible positive. So I think I might have messed up. We had sex last 10-1 and I know given the right conditions sperm can live for a bit. I'm confused about ovulation. Is it normal to ovulate 10 days after AF? Could I have ovulated already during what I thought was a safe period? I'm assuming that these tests only pick up the spike, whether it is before or after ovulation?

Again my world would not end if we were pregnant but if there is anyone who can offer some advice for planning better in the future if we are ok I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

K

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you generally have average length cycles, it is less likely that you ovulated by day 10, but still possible. I have heard that sex can trigger an early ovulation sometimes. I have never used ovulation predictor kits, though, don't know what your reading really means.

Have you read a NFP book? My understanding is that you don't use NFP to predict, you use it to assess your body every day for a current state of fertility. Trying to predict is foolhardy--your body can always do something different than the pattern. Are you keeping a chart with basal body temperature and cervical fluid and trying to add some more data to the chart with the ovulation predictor kit?

Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 PM

I have used an opk....one cycle I surged at day 10, but no cervical mucous. I continued to test, and at day 14 I surged again, this time with cervical mucous (my telltale sign of ovulation). I did a little research and found that it is not uncommon go have early an early surge without ovulating. It's a good idea to also learn you body's symptoms of ovulation. Happy planning! smile.gif
Old 10-10-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Ladies,

Didn't bail. Our net pooped out and just came back up this morning. One of the joys of living in the middle of nowheresmile.gif Thanks for the replies.

K-mom3: I had been on the birth control pill for numerous year before the surprise pregnancy with my son. I rarely had a period and merely spotted so honestly I can't remember the average of my cycle. As a teenager I had a 30+ day cycle but I don't seem to remember that before I started the pill in my very early 20s. I have been reading up on the subject and monitoring symptoms. The reason I wanted to find out when I ovulate is so that I could fine tune when to start testing for that while we were trying to avoid getting pregnant (along with temps and cf) and to be able to have intercourse at the right time when we were ready to get pregnant.

gschmie5: I did not have another surge but I missed testing for a day when we had an emergency in the house so I am not sure. I am super new to this;) I really didn't notice a huge change in my cf but I understand that its different woman to woman and honestly could have been messed up by the antibiotics I was given when we suspected PID prior to removing my IUD.

I've been feeling off for days but I did spot a little yesterday so with all the changes of having the mirena pulled and my body trying to get back to normal, its hard to really know what is going on. I should know no matter what by the 25th (right before I leave for a business trip no less!) whether I am pregnant and goofed or not.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:01 PM

I had my mirena removed a couple of years ago and started charting immediately. My first cycle was 15 days long. I basically ovulated a couple of days after it was removed. I had a couple of wonky cycles with my fertility clearly normalizing before getting pregnant with ds2.

From your description it seems like you're treating the bleeding following the removal of the mirena as a period when it's actually anovulatory bleeding and can not be used to assume lack of fertility. The non-fertile period can only be assumed following a confirmed ovulation. Good luck with your family planning smile.gif.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Eresh,

We are kinda stumped about the general weirdness ( I like your world better though!) since we had the Mirena removed.

Dh pulled out the stops and pretty much said what happens, happens. I feel off , like I have the flu and at the same time the sorta symptoms from before my period starts.No matter how I look at the info, we had sex at safe, unsafe and maybe when I was ovulating. It was so hard to really know what was going on!

At this point unless AF does come, I would have to assume that the earliest I could take a pregnancy test would be the 22nd, which would make at least 28 days from when the mirena was pulled. Literally the day before my husbands birthday! And a few days before a big business trip no less. Busy times!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:49 PM

The tests can give you an inaccurate idea of when you're about to ovulate for a variety of reasons. You may have mini-peaks of luteinizing hormone before you ovulation, for example. Taking your temperature and observing cervical fluid will give you an easy and clear idea of where you are in your cycle and are less potentially misleading than the testing, in my opinion. It sounds like you're on the right track as it is by starting to observe your fertility. smile.gif

I wanted to add that the "sex causes ovulation" notion is, from my studies, a myth. It takes your whole hormonal system a lot of time to build up to a peak with luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, and estrogen working simultaneously together to cause ovulation, and sex doesn't produce any affect on the feedback system that causes an LH surge and the egg to be released. A good factoid to remember is external events (moving, travel, illness, sex) or emotions (stress, excitement, etc) can't CAUSE ovulation, but they can certainly DELAY it.

Tags
Family Planning
User Tag List