tubal ligation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2012, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am currently pregnant with my third baby and this will be the last one for us.  I will be having a c-section and the "plan" was to have my tubes tied at that time.  I was hoping people could share some info or stories.  Do you feel that you have any long-term negative effects from it?  Are there any special things I should know?  Any increased risks that I should research?

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Does someone have some advice/experience?

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:27 PM

I had a tubal with my last c-section and haven't had any complications or regrets, and it's been 3.5 years.  The procedure itself took just a few more minutes after DD was delivered, and I didn't notice any additional discomfort vs. my previous section.

I can't speak to risks because it's been a few years, but I'm glad I had mine done when I did!  

Best wishes!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 10-20-2012, 06:56 PM

I had a tubal with my c-section with DD #3 almost 5 years ago (she was born in December).  The decision was made during a particularly difficult pregnancy, and at a time when DH and I were not very strong in our marriage.  I have regretted the decision since the day it happened.  However, I was clearly not in a good place to make such an emotional decision.  I know that the procedure was easier to do since they were already doing the c-section, but I didn't have a lot of information about possible side-effects.  It has been suggested that there is less physiological impact on the male to have a vasectomy then on a woman to have a tubal.  Knowing that, I probably would have opted for that, when I was ready to consider permanent birth control.

Health-wise, I will confidently argue that I've had physical effects.  None of them have been medically substantiated, as I lost a great deal of faith in the local medical community during my last pregnancy, so haven't spent time to find a doctor I really trust since then.  The other thing that makes my situation slightly different then typical is that I had an ovary removed at the same time of my tubal.  Of the following effects, I can't honestly say which would be directly related to the tubal and which to the removal of the ovary.

I have had pretty significant depression issues since my c-section.  I was on medication for several years - I have been off my meds for about 6 months, but am feeling symptoms coming back.  I did not have PDD after DD #1's birth, and had fairly typical baby blues after DD #2.  Emotionally, it's been a completely different ball game since DD #3.  

My periods have been significantly heavier since my c-section.  I do attribute this to the tubal, as it shows up as a pretty common side effect in things I've read.  My period has also increased in length - prior to having kids, my period was pretty typically 7 days, and my cycle ran 30-31 days.  After DD #2, my period was typically 4-5 days long, and my cycle still ran around 30 days.  After the tubal, my period is 7-8 days, with 2-3 days of extremely heavy flow.  My cycle is shorter, at 28 days usually.

There is a slight difference in the heaviness of flow depending on whether I've actually ovulated (since I only have 1 ovary, it's likely I only ovulate every other month).  On the months that should be the side with no ovary, I usually only have 1 heavy day of flow.  The other side is longer.

I've had more issues with my weight since the tubal, which I've also found to be a fairly typical effect of a tubal.  Granted, I'm older then after having DD #1 and #2, but I've also been more conscious of my eating and health habits, yet have struggled unsuccessfully for almost 5 years to loose weight.

My c-section was my first, so I don't have other recoveries to compare it to, but my recovery was brutal.  I was in a lot of pain for many weeks - I weaned off of my pain meds within a few days since I was nursing, but certain things, like getting in and out of bed, rolling over, going to the bathroom, caused intense pain for at least a month.  Again, I also had an ovary removed, so it's possible that some of the extra pain was related to that procedure.

There is some information on post-tubal syndrome.  I totally identify with pretty much all of the symptoms and effects of everything I've read.  The one time I tried to bring it up to a doctor, I was told that it wasn't a real issue, and I just needed to eat healthier, and take anti-depressents.  I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't have a tubal.  I'm just suggesting that you read a bit about the syndrome to make sure you have information about possibilities that could pop up afterwards.  Depending on your relationship with your doctor, you may even talk with them about it.  

Pregnancy can be a crazy time for emotions and hormones, so if you have any inkling of doubt, I'd recommend not doing the tubal.  There are ways to have a tubal that can be pretty low invasive - my sister had the Esure proceedure done and was up and about within a few hours.  So waiting a few months after the birth of your baby before making the decision can be a good option for some people.  On the other hand, if you and your partner feel 100% about the decision, then during a c-section seems like a convenient idea.  My cousin had a tubal during the c-section of her second daughter, and I've never known someone so excited about the procedure.  She was thrilled to get everything taken care of at one time, and she didn't have any regrets.  So it can be a good option for many people.  It just wasn't the right one for me.

DH 8.31.02 DD #1 1.14.03 DD #2 7.26.05 DD #3 12.7.07
Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for sharing your experiences. 

Quote:

My c-section was my first, so I don't have other recoveries to compare it to, but my recovery was brutal.  I was in a lot of pain for many weeks - I weaned off of my pain meds within a few days since I was nursing, but certain things, like getting in and out of bed, rolling over, going to the bathroom, caused intense pain for at least a month.

FYI that was was probably from the c-section.  I've had two and the recovery is brutal.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 10-26-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My c-section was my first, so I don't have other recoveries to compare it to, but my recovery was brutal.  I was in a lot of pain for many weeks - I weaned off of my pain meds within a few days since I was nursing, but certain things, like getting in and out of bed, rolling over, going to the bathroom, caused intense pain for at least a month.

The quote wasn't working in my last post, that's what i was responding to

Old 10-30-2012, 05:30 PM

i just had mine 3 months ago. no issues. love having sex without fear. had my tubes removed not tided and DH had a vas.

very happy with my discussion 

Old 12-28-2012, 11:35 PM

I wanted to get a tubal after my 4th. However my OB would not do it. DH did not agree and well it never got done. So I chose the IUD. I wish I had to the strength to argue at the time. Now because of HG. I'm afraid to get pregnant. Geesh!!! I never thought I would be afraid of having sex. Reading all these stories has me researching on tubals again.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 AM

My best friend from high school is pregnant after having her tubes tied 5 years ago.  She just found out last week, and can't believe it.  I also have a cousin who got a vasectomy and three and a half years later his wife was pregnant...they ended up having a DNA test done (for obvious reasons!) and it's positive that he is the father.  Crazy, huh?  How does that even happen?  How does the egg (or sperm) get through? 

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

Old 03-04-2014, 03:29 PM

mt_gooseberry

I know with a tubal the way a pregnancy can occur is that the tubes heal themselves so that creates the passage for the egg to get through. I would assume it is the same with a vasectomy.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_gooseberry View Post

My best friend from high school is pregnant after having her tubes tied 5 years ago.  She just found out last week, and can't believe it.  I also have a cousin who got a vasectomy and three and a half years later his wife was pregnant...they ended up having a DNA test done (for obvious reasons!) and it's positive that he is the father.  Crazy, huh?  How does that even happen?  How does the egg (or sperm) get through? 

This same situation also happened to a co-worker of mine.  Her husband did not have a vasectomy, but her tubes were tied.  3yrs after her procedure she had a baby, and then 2yrs later she ended up pregnant again!!!  Her and her DH couldn't believe it, they already had 3 kids.  She had hers for medical reasons, during pregnancy #2 she developed diabetes and it never went away, but they wanted 3 so doc gave her permission but recommended the procedure because of her health issues.  She did say that she is glad she ended up with more because they always wanted a lot of kids.  But just beware, you may know you guys do not want more kids and have this procedure and it is VERY POSSIBLE to still get pregnant...I am not sure of the statistics of it happening but it does!  

Good luck with your decision!

Me-30   om.gif     DsoontobeH-28 joy.gif-Together 10 years & the love of my life!!

DD#1-11  mecry.gif     DC#2-My Angel In Heaven brokenheart.gif 

Tags
Family Planning
User Tag List