Charting To Avoid-FAM/NFP November 2012 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 11-01-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

flower.gif  November 2012 flower.gif

Welcome to the November 2012 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); some are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" or pregnant and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post last month, you may have been deleted from the list. If you have joined recently, please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If you were mistakenly deleted, you would like to be added/removed, or you spot anything you would like me to change, please post or PM me to let me know. Remember, you must post in November if you want to be on the December list!

To those who are new, welcome! Welcome.gif

Who We Are

*Baby_Cakes  BFPChart2.gif

*caitlinette

*dreamingtree BFPChart2.gif

*HulaJenn  BFPChart2.gif

*JMJ

*JoyFilled

*lactatinggirl

*Lidamomma84

*Lionessmom BFPChart2.gif

*MissCee

*mt_gooseberry

*1love4ever

*pickle18 BFPChart2.gif

*slammerkin  BFPChart2.gif

*vrclay

Wiki Resources for Charting to Avoid

Reasons to Choose Natural Family Planning - Why would you want to use charting to plan your family, anyway? Feel free to add your own reasons for charting!

Types of Natural Family Planning - It's not just the rhythm method. They've got this down to a science with options galore!

NFP or FAM Methods While Breastfeeding - You have options in the postpartum period while your fertility is returning!

Resources For Learning About Fertility Cycles - Find books to read or websites to visit, find an instructor, post your chart online, and learn about how your diet affects your fertility.

Fertility Awareness Method - A quick-start guide to the Fertility Awareness, a version of the Sympto-Thermal Method taught by Toni Weschler in her book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

Common Abbreviations for Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness - BBT, EWCM, TCOYF, and more! Learn what all these crazy acronyms mean here.

Happy Charting Everyone!

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#2 of 62 Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subbing. :-)

ATM still going through the longest stretch (get it?!? Lol!) of fertile CM ever. Getting solid temps again though and still definitely pre-ovulatory. CM has changed though, so maybe I'm getting somewhere? Who knows.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#3 of 62 Old 11-02-2012, 05:52 AM

hello!! still charting a bip. only 4 mo pp anyway. probably wont have anything happen until 20 mo pp or so. so i am just hanging out keeping up with everybody and trying to figure out my next move. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#4 of 62 Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 AM

More mini-pill/PP/who knows weirdness over here - just started spotting again (?!) and haven't been able to track CM due to various treatments - also, really bummed because after slacking on temps, I started getting into a groove, and got what FF seemed to think was an ovulation dip...only then my toddler hid my thermometer 2 days later (while I was waiting to see a confirmed rise), so my temps are a bit scattered (haven't gotten a third post dip yet). irked.gif  At least I found it today!  Must find better hiding place...will see what adding tomorrow's temp does.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#5 of 62 Old 11-02-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

hello!! still charting a bip. only 4 mo pp anyway. probably wont have anything happen until 20 mo pp or so. so i am just hanging out keeping up with everybody and trying to figure out my next move. 

This is me, too.  14 mo pp, still bip, thinking it might be a few months yet. 

Although...I've been getting heartburn and mood-swingy, and it's making me feel pregnant!  I haven't had any other pg symptoms, but I might test just to make sure...redface.gif

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#6 of 62 Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_gooseberry View Post

Although...I've been getting heartburn and mood-swingy, and it's making me feel pregnant!  I haven't had any other pg symptoms, but I might test just to make sure...redface.gif

So jealous of both of you! I still nurse around the clock, but PPAF came back at 8 months. :-(

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#7 of 62 Old 11-03-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:

i felt that way a couple of months before i got mine back. maybe it is just hormones preparing to gear back up <shrug>

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#8 of 62 Old 11-03-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

So jealous of both of you! I still nurse around the clock, but PPAF came back at 8 months. :-(

You know, Sheila Kippley (the founder of NFP International) did a ton of research on ecological breastfeeding, and supposedly found that the average time for return to fertility was 14mo for those who practice eco bf.  But I have conducted several informal polls myself, and even among those who follow the 7 rules for eco bf don't have anywhere near that long of a wait for PPAF.  I'm no expert, but I kind of think the "14mo average" is way high for modern nursers, even those who nurse a lot.  I think that most women would have to literally be attatched to their child 24/7 (like those in non-industrialized societies) to get that 14mo average.  From what I've seen, 8 months seems pretty good.  I swear, every other woman I talk to tells me that they nurse around the clock and still get their PPAF back at less than 3mo.  I continue to be surprised at my amenorrhea (and I'm not gonna lie, really really pleased).

Quote:

i felt that way a couple of months before i got mine back. maybe it is just hormones preparing to gear back up <shrug>

Well, I peed on a stick just to be sure, and it was negative.  I would have been really surprised if it had been posititve, b/c I just haven't had anything to point to return of fertility.  It's really reassuring to know someone else had a similar experience.

#9 of 62 Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:

yeahthat.gif  I bought dollar store cheapies to reduce the constant eye rolling from DH - but I swear, I was tired, dizzy, nauseous, heartburn-y - serious smell/food aversions - totally freaked me out!  Now, I know the mini-pill maybe caused some of that, but I also started noticing patches of EWCM around that time...so could have been hormones/trying to O, too.  Few months more and PPAF arrived.

I got away with 18 months (yaay! orngbiggrin.gif) but I think you are right - that is probably somewhat due to being home and constantly attached to my high needs lil dude.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#10 of 62 Old 11-03-2012, 12:16 PM

AFM - I wish there was a magic way to tell if my problems are PP adjustment or mini-pill.  It would maybe give me the push I need to drop that safety net. redface.gif NP wanted to put me back on low-dose combo pill - DH and I don't want to go in that direction, but haven't yet been able to move in the opposite.  Talking with all of you is very helpful to me! 

(TMI ahead) Pink spotting/creamy CM yesterday, spotting-light flow of old, mucousy blood (or bloody mucous?) today - very stretchy.  Temp dip.  I guess time will tell if it's AF or more breakthrough?  I haven't wanted to eat at all and feel super nauseous. greensad.gif

#11 of 62 Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:

You know, Sheila Kippley (the founder of NFP International) did a ton of research on ecological breastfeeding, and supposedly found that the average time for return to fertility was 14mo for those who practice eco bf.  But I have conducted several informal polls myself, and even among those who follow the 7 rules for eco bf don't have anywhere near that long of a wait for PPAF.  I'm no expert, but I kind of think the "14mo average" is way high for modern nursers, even those who nurse a lot.  I think that most women would have to literally be attatched to their child 24/7 (like those in non-industrialized societies) to get that 14mo average.  From what I've seen, 8 months seems pretty good.  I swear, every other woman I talk to tells me that they nurse around the clock and still get their PPAF back at less than 3mo.  I continue to be surprised at my amenorrhea (and I'm not gonna lie, really really pleased).

Well, I peed on a stick just to be sure, and it was negative.  I would have been really surprised if it had been posititve, b/c I just haven't had anything to point to return of fertility.  It's really reassuring to know someone else had a similar experience.

I was really good about following the rules of ecological breastfeeding except the nap. In the beginning I tried to nap daily, but my PPD kept me awake. Then my toddler decided to just up and stop napping, which makes finding a daily nap for myself pretty difficult. And I have left my babe a few times to go take tests over the last couple months, so that could be contributing. I was just so convinced that I'd get a year plus this time, but oh well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle18 View Post

yeahthat.gif  I bought dollar store cheapies to reduce the constant eye rolling from DH - but I swear, I was tired, dizzy, nauseous, heartburn-y - serious smell/food aversions - totally freaked me out!  Now, I know the mini-pill maybe caused some of that, but I also started noticing patches of EWCM around that time...so could have been hormones/trying to O, too.  Few months more and PPAF arrived.

I got away with 18 months (yaay! orngbiggrin.gif) but I think you are right - that is probably somewhat due to being home and constantly attached to my high needs lil dude.

Did you know that the dollar store tests are actually better than a lot of tests out there? It's awesome! Cheap and awesome! http://www.peeonastick.com/hpts.html

Quote:

AFM - I wish there was a magic way to tell if my problems are PP adjustment or mini-pill.  It would maybe give me the push I need to drop that safety net. redface.gif NP wanted to put me back on low-dose combo pill - DH and I don't want to go in that direction, but haven't yet been able to move in the opposite.  Talking with all of you is very helpful to me! 

(TMI ahead) Pink spotting/creamy CM yesterday, spotting-light flow of old, mucousy blood (or bloody mucous?) today - very stretchy.  Temp dip.  I guess time will tell if it's AF or more breakthrough?  I haven't wanted to eat at all and feel super nauseous. greensad.gif

Are you breastfeeding? I've heard that the combo pills will decrease your supply. 

#12 of 62 Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Did you know that the dollar store tests are actually better than a lot of tests out there? It's awesome! Cheap and awesome! http://www.peeonastick.com/hpts.html

I heard that around here - it is awesome! orngbiggrin.gif

Are you breastfeeding? I've heard that the combo pills will decrease your supply. 

Yes, I am.  The NP didn't seem too concerned (kind of surprised we were still BFing eyesroll.gif) so I don't think she cared - but yes, my OB had told me that about the combo right after DS was born, so I'm only taking the mini-pill (progesterone only) right now, and don't want to go the combo route.  

Honestly, I'm not sure that this pill isn't affecting supply, or maybe it's just PPAF-type hormones.  I've noticed a supply dip, smaller breasts, oily hair, skin outbreaks, more nausea (had bouts of this before PPAF on mini-pill), dizziness, etc. since I got AF back.  Not fun.  Would it make sense that mini-pill side effects could increase once AF returned?  Or just crazy hormones in general? 

Told DH - feeling pukey when preggo at least has a purpose - this is just the pits.  REALLY leaning toward NFP or FAM...more talks with DH in order.

#13 of 62 Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 AM

the mini pill changed my milk. it was weird. it had less fat it seemed. 

lam- i read the rules and then just followed my kids lead. we do not nap together but i will kick back in the arm chair to hold him for one whole nap (about an hour) a day while i enjoy tv. he goes a couple hours in between nursing sometimes. and we co-sleep. i still dont get it back until 21 mo. i am hoping it works that way this time too. 

#14 of 62 Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks - I need to call the OB I think.

lam- i read the rules and then just followed my kids lead. we do not nap together but i will kick back in the arm chair to hold him for one whole nap (about an hour) a day while i enjoy tv. he goes a couple hours in between nursing sometimes. and we co-sleep. i still dont get it back until 21 mo. i am hoping it works that way this time too. 

^ This is what we did/still do.  DS does still nurse all during his naps, but I can't sleep anymore...so I'm here. orngtongue.gif

#15 of 62 Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 PM

Hi there! I used to frequent here often but not so much in a long time. I have CTA for  a few years and have charted my first anovulatory cycle in my 5 years of charts.  :(
I am officially late for my period and wondering what to expect. I know you can get a random annov cycle but I am curious as to what may have brought it on. Stress is no more than usual, I am not overweight....I am 36 so I don't think that is like perimenopausal??
Any insight would be great!

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#16 of 62 Old 11-06-2012, 07:05 PM

Oh and here is a link to my chart

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1cdd08

#17 of 62 Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

Here is one of the reasons I ditched ALL hbc.  The combo pill will definitely decrease supply, and even though it isn't supposed to, progesterone-only products affect my supply, too.  In fact, after I got the Depo shot (which I was told was safe for milk supply because it is prog. only), I went completely bone dry within a week.  I managed to build my supply back up in the next three months by putting myself on a brutal regimen of pumping/nursing/supplements, but it sucked.

Honestly, pickle, I would not tolerate a health-care practicioner that showed so little regard for breastfeeding.  I'd send them and their combo-pills packing!

#18 of 62 Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 PM

I feel like I landed on the right page here today!  My doctor is sending me to see a gyno because I am 14 months pp and no period.  I work all day and only nurse 3 times a day.  I am overweight.  I didn't have a period between my 2 kids which puts my last period in May 2008.  I would love to chart but the last thing I want is to be pregnant right now.  I am waiting on my cheap tests in the mail.

It is nice to read some other people are like me.

#19 of 62 Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 AM

Hey, what does PPAF stand for?  I didn't see it on the common abbreviations page.  Thanks! redface.gif

#20 of 62 Old 11-08-2012, 05:42 AM

PPAF is post partum Aunt Flow :)

#21 of 62 Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyFilled View Post

I feel like I landed on the right page here today!  My doctor is sending me to see a gyno because I am 14 months pp and no period.  I work all day and only nurse 3 times a day.  I am overweight.  I didn't have a period between my 2 kids which puts my last period in May 2008.  I would love to chart but the last thing I want is to be pregnant right now.  I am waiting on my cheap tests in the mail.

It is nice to read some other people are like me.

I don't really think this is all that abnormal.  There are some women who don't get AF back until a few weeks after they have completely weaned, and if there is any nipple stimulation AT ALL it will continue to delay the return.  I am also 14mo pp w/no AF so far and w/no AF in between!  I haven't had one since Feb. 2008, b/c I have PCOS and had a long cycle when I conceived my first.  Unfortunately, many doctors, even OBGYNs and specialists, are really ignorant when it comes to breastfeeding and women's cycles.  When I was trying to figure out what was going on with me when I started experiencing the symptoms of PCOS, they all just wanted to give me hormones to induce a period or put me on BC instead of trying to actually figure out what was wrong and treat that.  Soooo many gynos these days just hand out the Pill for every issue, thus covering up the symptoms instead of treating the cause. 

And that is my rant for the day!  Good luck! 

#22 of 62 Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 AM

JoyFilled - I agree with mt_gooseberry - that doesn't sound unusual.  Some women get AF back right away despite ecological breastfeeding, and some don't until they completely wean.  That said, I totally understand the pregnancy worries - they hit me hard, too!  Hope all is well!

AFM - I felt horrible yesterday.  Too tired to move, nauseous, just the pits.  Got very little done.  Super emotional - crying over everything.  I noticed DS was drinking ALOT of almond milk, juice and water.  Then last night, he woke up crying in the early am because he kept trying to nurse back to sleep, but wasn't getting any milk. mecry.gifHe actually got up and was crying, pointing at the door (to head to the fridge) - finally, some milk let down and I heard him swallowing - then he fell right asleep. Poor lil dude.  That was the.last.straw. irked.gif

I was so upset.  DH had already said (when he saw I was feeling crappy) that it was time to pull the plug on the pill - this only confirmed it for him.  So (drum roll please...) off we go, into full-time charting! orngbiggrin.gif  And going to the store to get some more fenugreek tea, in the meantime.

(oh, and no, I'm not pregnant - tested this morning just to be safe! winky.gif)

#23 of 62 Old 11-08-2012, 12:45 PM

So sorry about the rough night Pickle! Hope your supply comes back quickly. I had good luck with More Milk Plus when I needed a boost. 

AFM- I still haven't ovulated yet. Day 34 of my cycle now with no temp shift at all. Oh well, it'll eventually come. :-/

#24 of 62 Old 11-09-2012, 12:55 PM

Thanks, lactatinggirl - I'm sorry you are stuck in such a long waiting game.  irked.gif  Hope you see a temp shift soon - though you seem to be handling it with more patience than I would!  Or, I would be the one to finally give up and assume it's not coming, throw caution to the wind, and...make a baby. shy.gif

Well, I have some cautiously optimistic news to report - I didn't take my mini-pill last night (hooray!) and by today, I've already noticed an increase in supply! smile.gif Of course, I did drink some fenugreek yesterday - drinking that while on the pill has helped a bit, but has never been this successful.  And...I got my first patch of creamy today since PPAF, which is something! (albeit, something to be veeerrrry cautious about lol.gif)

How's everyone else doing?

#25 of 62 Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 PM

Well after everything I said I have had 2 days of light (like I don't need a pad even) bleeding.  I am going to guess that this AF.  I did have a month of mucus that could have been fertile.

My doctor called today and said the gyno said not to worry until 4 month after completely stopping nursing about getting my cycle back.  

MT_G - I know what you are saying about 14 months not being that abnormal but everyone I know restarted at 6 months.  However, I am one of the few people I know who co-sleep.

So, now I have to figure out the charting.  Does anyone just use mucus?  I haven't used temperature before.

#26 of 62 Old 11-10-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Thanks, lactatinggirl - I'm sorry you are stuck in such a long waiting game.  irked.gif  Hope you see a temp shift soon - though you seem to be handling it with more patience than I would!  Or, I would be the one to finally give up and assume it's not coming, throw caution to the wind, and...make a baby. shy.gif

We use the pull out method when I'm potentially fertile, which means it's not as fun, but also makes me less likely to throw caution to the wind. :-P I am certainly getting tired of it though! 

I may have had a temp shift today. Problem is, I'm sick. So who knows if it's because of ovulation or because I have a minor fever. Ugh! Guess I'll know once I start getting better and the high temps stick or don't. 

#27 of 62 Old 11-10-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyFilled View Post

So, now I have to figure out the charting.  Does anyone just use mucus?  I haven't used temperature before.

I use mucus-only; Creighton is my method.  Mucus-only can be very effective, but you have to be a lot more detail-specific than when you use the temp crosscheck.  You can't just use the mucus instruction from the STM and get a high success rate.  I can only recommend you take a class.  Luckily, mucus-only classes tend to be very flexible.  I did mine long-distance, over the phone and via email.  We're low-income and my instructor waived her fees.  All of our meetings were on my schedule.  The other mucus-only method is Billings.  Their classes are done in a similar way to Creighton.  If you are interested, I can help hook you up with an instructor!  It is easy to learn, but very detailed.  

#28 of 62 Old 11-10-2012, 08:25 AM

well still no AF for me. Went to emerge with pain and he said I likely have an ovarian cyst. Following up with an u/s on monday. Anyone have experience with cysts?

#29 of 62 Old 11-10-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:

We use the pull out method when I'm potentially fertile, which means it's not as fun, but also makes me less likely to throw caution to the wind. :-P I am certainly getting tired of it though! 

I may have had a temp shift today. Problem is, I'm sick. So who knows if it's because of ovulation or because I have a minor fever. Ugh! Guess I'll know once I start getting better and the high temps stick or don't. 

That is likely what we will do, too - but you're totally right, not as fun!  Sorry to hear you are sick hug.gif - hopefully you will get well fast, but your temps will stay up! (well, not indefinitely, haha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulaJenn View Post

well still no AF for me. Went to emerge with pain and he said I likely have an ovarian cyst. Following up with an u/s on monday. Anyone have experience with cysts?

Oh no greensad.gif sorry to hear that HulaJenn!  At least you have a plausible explanation - sometimes that helps me, I know.  I've never had one, but my sister and mom have - I just know they are no fun.  I hope it's small and goes away quickly.  Good luck with your u/s! hug2.gif

#30 of 62 Old 11-10-2012, 01:22 PM

mt_g - We already took a course but right now I can't remember which one it is.  I used it for a year but I really wanted to get pregnant so it didn't matter as much.  I am just all over the map with my period and could not really predict anything.   My general rule has been no sex if any mucus and 3 days after.  A little conservative.

Tags
Fertility , Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page