Charting To Avoid-FAM/NFP December 2012 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 12-05-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

flower.gif   

December 2012 flower.gif

Welcome to the December 2012 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); some are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" or pregnant and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post last month, you may have been deleted from the list. If you have joined recently, please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If you were mistakenly deleted, you would like to be added/removed, or you spot anything you would like me to change, please post or PM me to let me know. Remember, you must post in November if you want to be on the January list!

To those who are new, welcome! Welcome.gif

Who We Are

*Baby_Cakes  BFPChart2.gif

*caitlinette

*dreamingtree BFPChart2.gif

*HulaJenn  BFPChart2.gif

*JMJ

*JoyFilled

*lactatinggirl

*Lidamomma84

*Lionessmom BFPChart2.gif

*MissCee

*mt_gooseberry

*1love4ever

*pickle18 BFPChart2.gif

*slammerkin  BFPChart2.gif

*vrclay

Wiki Resources for Charting to Avoid

Reasons to Choose Natural Family Planning - Why would you want to use charting to plan your family, anyway? Feel free to add your own reasons for charting!

Types of Natural Family Planning - It's not just the rhythm method. They've got this down to a science with options galore!

NFP or FAM Methods While Breastfeeding - You have options in the postpartum period while your fertility is returning!

Resources For Learning About Fertility Cycles - Find books to read or websites to visit, find an instructor, post your chart online, and learn about how your diet affects your fertility.

Fertility Awareness Method - A quick-start guide to the Fertility Awareness, a version of the Sympto-Thermal Method taught by Toni Weschler in her book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

Common Abbreviations for Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness - BBT, EWCM, TCOYF, and more! Learn what all these crazy acronyms mean here.

Happy Charting Everyone!

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#2 of 27 Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 AM

Wacky cycle. CD2 already! Hoping this cycle is a bit more typical.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#3 of 27 Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 AM

CD 24 for me. Just chillin. :)

Mom to Ava - 10/8/13 love.gif 
#4 of 27 Old 12-08-2012, 07:00 PM

Still bip for me. Although my desire is returning.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#5 of 27 Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

CD 28 with no O still. Fertile CM still, but not much. Is that normal? 

I've also been having something weird go on. It seems like every time we DTD, it hurts my cervix a little and then I spot afterwards. I know that this isn't horribly abnormal, but it's happening almost every time. And it's something I've associated with my post-ovulatory phase in the past, so I'm a little confused. 

Lastly, I'm taking human physiology this semester and we just went over the reproductive system and I am well versed! Yay charting for helping me keep my A! :-P 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#6 of 27 Old 12-09-2012, 10:39 AM

AF arrived today, so phew! One cycle down of successfully CTA!

#7 of 27 Old 12-11-2012, 10:06 AM

Hi!

May I join? :)

We are CTA at this point. We are waivering on whether we want another or not, but we are getting ready to list the house for sale, switch districts across the state (dh is a teacher) and a slew of other things. Not to mention we couldn't very well fit another baby in this house, and our van won't hold another person. redface.gif That being said, we are of the mind that if God gives us another child we will welcome it and be happy with the timing whenever it is. So we are not *strict* about it, as we know whatever happens it will work out perfectly.

My stats are: CD23 9dpo. While nursing my LP is usually about 6-7 days, and I think it's finally starting to lengthen out this month. Either that or I am pregnant. LOL I will probably take a test later today just to be certain. 

Thanks ladies!

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#8 of 27 Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome, Kimmiepie!

Nothing new here.  I thought I saw a smidge of fertile-type mucus the other day, but now I think it was a fluke.  I really can't complain!  I never thought that I'd still be waiting for my fertility to return at 15mo pp.

But on a related note, I've dreamt I was pregnant the last 5 nights in a row....

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#9 of 27 Old 12-12-2012, 09:52 AM

Well, 2 days of negative tests and then AF showed today. I shouldn't be sad, but I am anyway. I will be happy to have my normal LP's back though. :) Anyway, there are a lot of things I want to do (diet changes, the move etc.) before we consider another anyway so it's a good thing, but that motherly instinct kicks in and defies all logic sometimes. :)

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#10 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 AM

This month is something of a wild card for me...no clear temp shift, but several days of fertile mucus around the time I O'd last month.  Of course, my temps have been out of whack (waking up with toddler at odd hours, sometimes able to temp later after I fall back asleep, or else lots of disturbed half-sleep, etc.) and CM observations have been slacking a bit.  Really great combo, right? orngtongue.gif  CD 17 here.  So P&P it is, until further notice. shrug.gif

lactatinggirl - is this your second month that looks anovulatory/no confirmed O yet?  Is the consistent little bit of bleeding typical for you (you mentioned it had happened post-O in other cycles)?  I have a history of cervical issues, and I know that is one thing they tell me to be on the lookout for and report to the doc...but that may not apply to you.  Do you track CP at all?

Welcome, kimmiepie! wave.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#11 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 AM

Can I join you ladies?

DS2 is 18 months and still no AF for me. About two weeks ago I had what appeared to be fertile CM, and then CM that was pinkish and tinged with blood. Yikes! I was very nauseous last night, but haven't tested yet. A pregnancy right now wouldn't be ideal. I'm still nursing quite a bit and don't want to nurse through a pregnancy, I want to get back into shape, and money is very tight for us right now. Does it sound like I may have ovulated?

I really want to wait until next spring to conceive and try for a Valentine's baby in 2014... so I need to get back on fertility friend and start charting again, but with no AF and DS2 still nursing in the night how does one go about doing this?

#12 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 PM

I have a question. I had a us the other day. They saw follicles on my ovary. She said you can always see them. Is that true?

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#13 of 27 Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 AM

mija y mijo - I would just get back on fertility friend, make a note of your CM, and try temping.  This month is wacky, but last month I had a clear temp shift, even with odd wakeup times and being up to nurse alot (with DS 19 months).  It seems that nursing at night (or not getting 3 hours sleep, not taking it at the same time, etc.) throws temps out the window for some women, but others can still see a shift just fine.  Worth a try!  Could you temp at the same time OR after a bigger chunk of sleep?

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#14 of 27 Old 12-16-2012, 03:43 PM

Slammerkin - I am with you for my first period with CTA!  

I didn't chart but just tracked the mucus and avoided.  Avoiding was hard. It was like my body was crying out - impregnant me!  This month's success gives me more trust in NFP.

#15 of 27 Old 12-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi ladies, mind if I join?

Currently 3 weeks pp so I have nothing to chart yet. And this LO was conceived when I got lazy with my charting last February orngbiggrin.gif hoping having a group will keep me on track this time. I'd love more babies, but I definately would like to wait at least 2 years.

Fertility friend won't let me start up because my LMP was over 6 months ago, anyone know a way around this?

Also curious if any of you mommas took a NFP class or just self learned? I need to refresh myself on details to be on the safe side. I only used CM method last time.

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#16 of 27 Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 AM

I just learned from TCOYF and the free NPF manual online. Plus LOTS of help from JMJ! LOL!

I finally O'd! Possibly my first postpartum O! Counting that I'm pretty sure last cycle was anovulatory (though I could have O'd without knowing it because my girls suddenly started waking me way too early!), it ended up being like an 80 day cycle. LP was only 5 days though. Anyone else experience such a short LP while BFing?

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#17 of 27 Old 12-26-2012, 11:40 AM

I've mostly learned from reading on my own (TCOYF), basic info on Fertility Friend (though not geared toward TTA and lax from that perspective) and from these forums (and JMJ! smile.gif).  Speaking of, lactatinggirl, I often peruse the "TTC While Nursing" boards, because I learn alot about nursing and charting, even from the other side of the fence.  There are alot of moms on there that experienced super short LPs while nursing that gradually lengthened (there's talk of supplements you can take and nightweaning, etc. over there, since it's TTC, but it should lengthen on its own when your body is ready).  Sounds perfectly normal to me.

Glad you have that crazy long cycle behind you!

#18 of 27 Old 12-26-2012, 03:25 PM

no signs of fertility returning. of course i am only 6 mo pp and mine has a history of waiting until 21 mo. strangely this time i have a bip of creamy instead of dry. my husband is nervous about it and has been practicing withdrawal all on his own. i guess 5 is enough kids for him. i am seriously considering just getting my tube tied. i only have one so it would be no big deal really. i like it better than any other things i have looked into. i would still hang around. i will still be charting my cycles bc i love knowing when to expect af. i love having that info. 

#19 of 27 Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM

Pickle- Yeah, I've heard/seen the same thing with BF and LP. I guess I just hadn't ever seen it that short or without the temp drop. Temp did drop yesterday though and AF came with force! Lol.

Lioness- Would it still be easier than your husband getting snipped? I'm just curious because that's our plan once we're done, but I haven't researched it much.

#20 of 27 Old 12-28-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

Pickle- Yeah, I've heard/seen the same thing with BF and LP. I guess I just hadn't ever seen it that short or without the temp drop. Temp did drop yesterday though and AF came with force! Lol.
Lioness- Would it still be easier than your husband getting snipped? I'm just curious because that's our plan once we're done, but I haven't researched it much.

I second that question, Lioness (as we are planning the same thing...).  As to the first comment, lactatinggirl - so you had AF show without a temp drop?  How soon after AF started did your temp drop?

I'm asking because I am waiting on AF today, with a triphasic chart (well, the jump is about 0.3 not 0.4, but it's been sustained...). whistling.gif Here's a link, so you don't have to scroll back... http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3ff9d0  Opinions?

If AF showed with no temp drop, that means she could still come for me today, right?  Or maybe a longer LP this month - 14-17 is still normal?  One last thing, I've been SUPER nauseous since the temp rise - but if temp rise is due to progesterone, that could make sense, because progesterone mini-pills made me horribly nauseous...right?

Do I sound like I'm grasping at straws? upsidedown.gif  We definitely only used P&P as protection, in fertile mucus, the day before FF says I O'd.  However, I did take a not very sensitive test this am (50 miu @ 14 dpo) and it was negative.  I would think any test would be positive by now - on the other hand, this type of test didn't turn positive for me with DS for forever, I recall...

I figured posting here would ensure AF's arrival, haha. thumb.gif

#21 of 27 Old 12-29-2012, 08:25 AM

temp drop today! (back in line with biphasic shift) smile.gif and negative test - feeling much better and less paranoid! (just a little silly for freaking out - but nausea + triphasic + longer luteal phase got to me)

#22 of 27 Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

It would be easier to get my hubby snipped but that scares me more than me getting it done. i have read differing things on the side effects of the v, one is that it causes the men to eventually start seeing the unejaculated sperm as an invader and create an immune response but that risk is low. another is that it can lower or raise testosterone. if it raised it that would be fine. i think my husband suffers from low t but lowering it would be an issue. he already suffers from erectile dysfunction sometimes. i am afraid it would make it worse. and since i cant find any definitive evidence i am not risking any changes to his stuff. i already had one tube removed from an ectopic pregnancy so any side effects i would have had would have been half taken care of. at least that is how i am reasoning it right now. so when i get the other tube cut i will only have half the risk of it going wrong for me, maybe. 

#23 of 27 Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Well, my best friend from high school just got pregnant 5 years after having her tubes tied.  I know that it is super rare, but having it happen to someone I am close to has really driven home to me the fact that there is no birth control, aside from abstinence or organ removal, that is 100%!  (And this is not directed at any of you, btw, I just think it is amazing that this happened to someone close to me!)

#24 of 27 Old 12-31-2012, 10:22 AM

Ugh my chart is all over the place. We traveled the last two weeks to see DH's family and the temping times were off, missed temping some days, I sometimes didn't record the temp right away and am not sure if I caught the correct temp when turning the thermo back on, wasn't able to track CM very well. I have no idea if I've ovulated yet because I had some fertile CM a couple days ago, long after when I thought I would have ovulated. And now my thermo is stuck in a different state with my hand luggage that I left behind. So charting this cycle is kind of a bust. I guess we'll be using condoms until AF arrives...which hopefully it will, lol.

#25 of 27 Old 01-01-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle18 View Post

temp drop today! (back in line with biphasic shift) smile.gif and negative test - feeling much better and less paranoid! (just a little silly for freaking out - but nausea + triphasic + longer luteal phase got to me)

Sorry I didn't get on here and respond! I think that what I had before my temp drop was low progesterone levels. I've heard of that happening, especially with breastfeeding moms. Since I'm not trying to get pregnant at the moment, I won't worry about it. :-P 

Also, the dollar store tests are some of the most sensitive! It's awesome. Peeonastick.com has a big chart of all the tests with their sensitivities and false positive rates. 

#26 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 AM

Thanks, lactatinggirl!  I did end up grabbing a few dollar tree cheapies - easy way to calm the paranoia for less $$$! winky.gif

Only problem is...AF is winding down, and the nausea hasn't gone away at all...I figured it was due to that surge of progesterone, but now it's still here and I'm miserable. greensad.gif  Anyone deal with this?  Nausea halfway through luteal phase and allllll during AF?

Anyway, I think that's smart on your part re: low progesterone - seems common, no need to worry about it, your body will get back into the swing of things soon enough, and like you said, it's not really a priority right now!  Plus, it's easier than sweating through a 16 day luteal phase (up from 13 last month) like I just had, haha!

#27 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

New thread!

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1371354/charting-to-avoid-january-2013

Tags
Fertility , Family Planning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page