Charting to Avoid--JANUARY 2013 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

flower.gif   

flower.gif January 2013 flower.gif

Welcome to the January 2013 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); some are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" or pregnant and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post last month, you may have been deleted from the list. If you have joined recently, please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If you were mistakenly deleted, you would like to be added/removed, or you spot anything you would like me to change, please post or PM me to let me know. Remember, you must post in January if you want to be on the February list!

To those who are new, welcome! Welcome.gif

Who We Are

*Baby_Cakes  BFPChart2.gif

*caitlinette

*dreamingtree BFPChart2.gif

*HulaJenn  BFPChart2.gif

*JMJ

*JoyFilled

*lactatinggirl

*Lidamomma84

*Lionessmom BFPChart2.gif

*MissCee

*mt_gooseberry

*1love4ever

*pickle18 BFPChart2.gif

*slammerkin  BFPChart2.gif

*vrclay

Wiki Resources for Charting to Avoid

Reasons to Choose Natural Family Planning - Why would you want to use charting to plan your family, anyway? Feel free to add your own reasons for charting!

Types of Natural Family Planning - It's not just the rhythm method. They've got this down to a science with options galore!

NFP or FAM Methods While Breastfeeding - You have options in the postpartum period while your fertility is returning!

Resources For Learning About Fertility Cycles - Find books to read or websites to visit, find an instructor, post your chart online, and learn about how your diet affects your fertility.

Fertility Awareness Method - A quick-start guide to the Fertility Awareness, a version of the Sympto-Thermal Method taught by Toni Weschler in her book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

Common Abbreviations for Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness - BBT, EWCM, TCOYF, and more! Learn what all these crazy acronyms mean here.

Happy Charting Everyone!

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Happy new year! Went into my gyno for my yearly yesterday and when I answered Fertility Awareness Method (when asked about what birth control I use) she made it clear she didn't know how it actually works. First confused it with NFP and told me that it's hard to wait out during my fettle time and then started telling me to take a folic acid supplement just in case I get pregnant. Lol. Good thing I was going just for my Pap smear and not to get advice!

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM

Haha, that's sad but not surprising, really, since as a culture we seem to be losing so much wisdom about our bodies :(

My midwife also suggested I take folic acid after our last baby, since we are using condoms as bc. In case we get carried away, I guess eyesroll.gif

Wife to one amazing man and mama to three!

DD1 (03/09), DD2 (06/11), DS (01/14) love.gif

2014: 30/70lbs, 4/52 crafts
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 AM

So true, Lidamama84! :-( It is sad...when they asked me the same question and I answered...there was just a kind of awkward silence, and a couple repeated questions, about, "Ok, so you're not using ANYTHING???" (read: pills)  It made me painfully aware how dependent we are on pharmaceuticals as a culture - nevermind that those pills/shots/IUDs jack up your hormones and body, and can cause all manner of side effects - those are the new "normal" - the ones not on them are the weirdos! eyesroll.gif

It also made me feel like a silly, ignorant high schooler who is totally oblivious to pregnancy risk upsidedown.gif...I had to remind myself I was the one listening to my healthy body (for once!), instead of mindlessly handing it over to artificial control.  Which requires more brain power? Hmm...

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

Old 01-03-2013, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Ugh, I hate that skeptical "you're not doing anything I learned about in med school, so it can't be valid" type attitude! but I confess, being new to much of this, I have no clue what the different is between NFP and FAM is either. I would love to be enlightened smile.gif

Do I have to have a FF account to join? I was having a hard time getting it set up because I haven't had a pp period yet.

Any ladies willing to share their reasons for charting rather than using BC? Just out of curiosity smile.gif for me it is mostly out of complete fear of messing with my hormones (I figure bad things tend to happen when you mess with mother nature) and also the cost of BC.

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
Old 01-03-2013, 06:13 PM
JMJ

I wish sometimes that medical staff would just worry about what I'm hiring them to do and leave criticism my family planning choices alone. Think whatever you want, but we all have to hold our tongue in a professional setting, and if my choice doesn't involve you, don't try to make it. At the very least, don't act like I don't know what I'm doing. That said, I do think that every woman (and man and child) should strive to have optimal nutrition at all times. This myth that we can eat whatever we want and do whatever we want until we're ready to TTC (or maybe a few months before) is hurting mothers and children, and I've seen too many tongue-tied babies in the past few months.

I choose NFP because I believe in working with, not against, our bodies. I believe that in working to be healthy, that means working to have a healthy reproductive system as well. I believe that 'reproductive health' for a woman means being well-nourished and having a reproductive system that functions well and could conceive easily given the right circumstances and nourish a baby well, contingent on certain factors such as menarche, body fat (it is possible to be healthy and not have enough body fat to conceive), breastfeeding, menopause, etc. I do not believe that the deliberate suppression of a woman's (or man's) healthy fertility system creates "health," but the contrary, and I think we are only beginning to see the consequences of this misperception.

I choose NFP because I see the good that it does in my marriage. I see the constant communication that my husband and I have. I see us working together toward a common goal and choosing to demonstrate self-control based on our decision. I appreciate that my husband puts our needs as a family ahead of his own desire to get some right now. I see that marriage involves a whole gift of myself to my husband and an appreciation of the whole gift of my husband. He honors everything that I am as a woman, a person who has the ability to conceive life into my womb, carry it in my body, and nourish it at my breast, and he doesn't try to change or subvert that. I accept that he is a man in the full sense of the word, and one who has chosen to share the most intimate part of him, his seed that comes only at the height of our lovemaking, with me and only me, no holding back, and I am honored.

I choose NFP because it is pro-life. NFP is about being healthy and ready to nurture a baby even if pregnancy is not currently intended. If and when surprise pregnancies happen, the healthy mother's body is already nourishing the baby, not fighting it. One of the ways hormonal birth control and IUDs can and do work is to make a woman's uterus hostile to a newly-conceived life. With NFP, we are connected to the relationship between sex and babies. We choose to accept that whenever we have sex, there is a certain probability, no matter how low, that we could conceive, and we accept that probability and will take responsibility for the results of our actions.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 PM

JMJ - Very well written and thought out answer.

We use NFP for 3 different reasons.  Firstly, my husband is Catholic so it falls within his beliefs - although as a non-Catholic I could do what I want so this is not my main reason.  Secondly, I know that I am not that fertile and I want to see what my body does naturally.  And thirdly, I may want another child in a year and it took over a year for my body to regulate after the pill so I want to leave that option open.  Ultimately if my DH was not Catholic then I would not have even thought about NFP.  Unlike other people I find this issue more of a stress in our house and less of a coming together. 

The difference between NFP(Natural Family Planning) and FAM (Fertility Awarenes Method) is that with NFP when you are fertile you avoid intercourse where as with FAM you use a condom.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Ooo, good discussion!  My midwife was totally on board with my using NFP, because she herself used FAM, but the nurse/receptionist lectured me for half an hour after I told her I was going to use LAM because she was certain it didn't work.  My other health care person is a Catholic NP and is pro-NFP, but she promotes the use of CycleBeads, which is just a glorified Calendar/Rhythm method, and says that other methods are too "complicated" to work!  Um, ok....

I use NFP for Catholic theological reasons (pro-life, true unity of man and wife, working with God's natural design instead of interfering with it), because I don't like the thought of altering my body's normal function, because of environmental reasons (hermaphrodite fish!), cost, effectiveness (higher than condoms, the sponge, diaphragm, the Pill, cervical cap, spermicide), and non-permanence (although I just had a friend get pg after 5 years of having her tubes tied, so much for permanent!).  DH isn't into theology, so even though he considers himself Catholic, he is not thrilled with NFP and we don't experience the relationship benefits that JMJ was talking about, but it is definitely something other couples experience.  Actually, even if my faith had nothing to do with it, I would still use NFP.  

What I really don't understand is how so many women who claim to want to live "natural" lives and do what they can to eat naturally, clean naturally, raise their babies naturally, etc., don't hesitate for a minute to take artificial hormones, stick things in their wombs, or permanently alter their anatomy!  They make their bodies sick, scarred, and deformed on purpose!  It's not just the medical community that is screwed up, is it?

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I just realized that I have completed 16 cycles of successfully "Charting to Avoid".  And yes, we have deliberately chosen to use withdrawal during fertile times (although sometimes choose to abstain completely on my most fertile days). So I know we are introducing more risk but we understand that and would welcome an unintended pregnancy. That said, I am pretty proud of the 16 cycles of natural, hormone free family planning :)

Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM

dreamingtree - good job!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 AM

Hi! My name is Billie Jo and I am a military wife to my Active Duty Marine hubby. :) January 15th we will have been married 10years joy.gif and we have 3 daughters together (9 1/2yrs , 7 1/2yrs and almost 4yrs) and my husband has an older daughter who lives with her mom (15yrs). We currently live in Okinawa, Japan and are planning on getting out of the military this coming summer. As a result of that we are putting off TTC our 4th child until we lay out a job and housing situation. I began charting about 6yrs ago but fell off when pregnant and nursing because my cycles were all sorts of wacky for those 3yrs. I got a new thermometer and I am trying to 'retrain' my brain to remember to actually temp first thing in the morning.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome, MarineGurl!  I'll add you to our list!  Maybe being in our group will help you remember to do what you gotta do to chart, eh?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:08 PM

2 cycles in CTA!  YAY.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 AM

I'm CTA. Right now I'm in the TWW because we had an oopsie with our bc method right around the time I ovulated. I'm 9dpo and got a BFN this morning with FMU. I feel fairly confident that if there isn't at least a faint line tomorrow, I'm safe, since my LP is only 12 days. Anyway, I'll be back in a few days to join y'all if I get AF (cross your fingers for me please!). 

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_gooseberry View Post

What I really don't understand is how so many women who claim to want to live "natural" lives and do what they can to eat naturally, clean naturally, raise their babies naturally, etc., don't hesitate for a minute to take artificial hormones, stick things in their wombs, or permanently alter their anatomy!  They make their bodies sick, scarred, and deformed on purpose!  It's not just the medical community that is screwed up, is it?

^ This has been my progression.  For a long time, I didn't give the pill a second thought, just didn't want babies!  After giving birth to DS, being in a great marriage, I was ready to explore other methods - we do FAM, and I know there is a margin of error in the way we practice it, but I'm more comfortable with that than with loading my body full of artificial hormones, if that makes sense?  Being a mom has also only made me even more aware of further things I can do to be more healthy, natural, eco-friendly, etc. treehugger.gif Plus, I had a *horrible* time on the mini-pill (constant nausea, migraines) and we're still breastfeeding.

It's just really nice to be able to let my body do it's thing (it's also helpful that my periods are much less intense post-childbirth) and watch it go.  AND I like to nerd out on data collection! smile.gif

Speaking of, I've been meaning to ask this (TMI warning) - does anybody else get lil gummy balls of ewcm around O time?  I wouldn't call it sticky, as it is always accompanied by TONS of watery, slippery cm - it looks just like streaky ewcm, only a bit drier, so it doesn't stretch quite as far and snaps back.  It looks like a big, clear booger, or that adhesive that comes on credit cards (I know, gross, sorry!).  I've been marking it as ewcm, since it is clearly at a fertile time, in lots of slippery fertile mucus, but is that correct?

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle18 View Post

Speaking of, I've been meaning to ask this (TMI warning) - does anybody else get lil gummy balls of ewcm around O time?  I wouldn't call it sticky, as it is always accompanied by TONS of watery, slippery cm - it looks just like streaky ewcm, only a bit drier, so it doesn't stretch quite as far and snaps back.  It looks like a big, clear booger, or that adhesive that comes on credit cards (I know, gross, sorry!).  I've been marking it as ewcm, since it is clearly at a fertile time, in lots of slippery fertile mucus, but is that correct?

I'm pretty sure that this does happen...I think I remember it being likened to dry rubber cement?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_gooseberry View Post

I'm pretty sure that this does happen...I think I remember it being likened to dry rubber cement?

Yes, it is like that (although I've heard sticky described that way, but this is a ball) - anyway, it turned into more "proper" ewcm, so I think I'll continue to list it as such.  Temp drop this morning, too (in spite of being up ALL NIGHT perma-nursing...caffix.gif - don't know what's up with that, maybe 2 year old molars?).  Anyway, thanks! smile.gif

Old 01-18-2013, 03:57 AM

CD1!!! Yay :) On to the next cycle. Here's my chart link: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/34927a

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

Old 01-18-2013, 11:19 AM

Hi ladies.  It's been a year that I have been artificial hormone free.  It took us a while to get used to the new normal, but so far, so good.  thanks for the support.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:48 AM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrclay View Post

Hi ladies.  It's been a year that I have been artificial hormone free.  It took us a while to get used to the new normal, but so far, so good.  thanks for the support.

Congratulations!!!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM

I'm on CD 14 of cycle #3 off HBC. Not sure if this cycle is going to be a successful CTA one, lol. Kind of the only thing holding me back from TTC was DH, but I told him yesterday that if he felt like knocking me up, to come to bed after work and have his way with me. And he did! So who knows what'll happen this month. whistling.gif

Mom to Ava - 10/8/13 love.gif 
Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammerkin View Post

I'm on CD 14 of cycle #3 off HBC. Not sure if this cycle is going to be a successful CTA one, lol. Kind of the only thing holding me back from TTC was DH, but I told him yesterday that if he felt like knocking me up, to come to bed after work and have his way with me. And he did! So who knows what'll happen this month. whistling.gif

ROTFLMAO.gif This cracked me up!  We are really set on having an only, 90% of the time - the other 10% of the time, we think maybe once our high-needs toddler gets a little older (like 3-5 range).

It's funny how hormones affect my head, though - DH has called it, that every month around O time, I will say, "weeelllll...another baby wouldn't be the ennnnnddd of the world..." hahaha orngtongue.gif  He had to seriously talk me down when we were at our favorite, local baby/lil kid store the other day - and they had the TINIEST fitted diapers and covers on super sale (did not help that we met two friends there with kids 6 months younger than DS - and both moms were preggo!).  Oh geez...

Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 PM

orngbiggrin.gif too funny slammerkin! I think DH and I have finally accepted that we're going to have as many kids as we end up having. Good thing since I've been super lazy about charting.

8 weeks pp and I've had some spotting the last few days. Anyone have this before? DH thinks its because we dtd the other night and were a little, ahem, over zealous. orngbiggrin.gif

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 AM

When I was anovulatory, I bled a little every time we DTD. Sometimes just immediately after and sometimes for a day or so.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 PM

Huh, I would hope I'm not having an anovulatory cycle this early pp, but I suppose spotting could mean worse things. It's stopped now so hopefully that's the end of that.

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
Old 01-26-2013, 04:35 PM

No I mean hadn't started to cycle again yet. Amenorrhea. I don't know where my brain is at. :-P

Old 01-30-2013, 07:16 PM

Hello ladies! I'm 8 month PP and still no cycles, but going to start some reading up on natural family planning while breastfeeding :) I charted for a while before we got pregnant (4 or so months TTA, then just a few months of TTC). I'm not sleeping much yet, so I haven't bothered to start temping. Just popping in to say hello (and motivate myself to follow some of the links at the beginning of this thread!) :)

Keeping busy with DH partners.gif, our crazy dogdog2.gif, grad school caffix.gif, and our new baby boy who arrived in June! babyboy.gif

Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 AM

Welcome! 

I didn't start charting temps until after my cycles started back up. Just watched my CM to see if I could be getting closer to fertility, which gave me plenty of forewarning. 

Old 01-31-2013, 04:58 PM

Hi ladies! Just popping in to say hi and I am still around though more lurking. I have been sick the last few weeks so I have not been charting since I had a fever I didn't see the point.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:27 AM

I'm on CD15 here on my third postpartum cycle. No sign of ovulation so far this month. 

Tags
Fertility , Family Planning
User Tag List