Higher BBT after having a baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had the Mirena put in when my daughter was 3 months old, and had it taken out a year later after having multiple GI troubles (looong story- I needed a long list of medical tests- all the MDs I saw were sure an IUD could not possibly cause such weird symptoms. Magically, all my troubles stopped within a week of having the stupid thing taken out!)  My daughter is now almost 2.

Sorry I don't know all the abbreviations here- but I used fertility awareness for 2 years as birth control before getting pregnant, then to successfully conceive the first month we tried :) After having the Mirena taken out, I started charting again and my cycle has been very regular- 32 days- which is amazing because before, it was anywhere from 5-12 weeks long. 

My problem is that my BBT before ovulation is much higher than it used to be (98.4 compared with 97.5 pre-baby). This is making it impossible for me because my post-ovulation BBT is about 98.6 (same as pre-baby), and temps vary a few points on any day so they overlap. I've been pretty much going by my cervical fluid.  I stopped breastfeeding a few months ago- not sure if things are still getting back to normal?  I don't want to get pregnant for another year or two but I hate having to avoid for so much extra time- it was so easy before when there was an obvious temp shift!

Thanks for any advice!

#2 of 2 Old 01-21-2013, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I've wondered the same thing. I didn't temp before my son, but I did before my dd and after. And, since my dd's been born my temps have consistently been .5 degrees higher.

I tend to think it has more to do with getting older than her birth, per se. I imagine it's a lower esterogen level and increased progesterone levels.

Another thing to consider is the time of year, change of blankets, change of house temp (are you setting the thermostat higher now that you have a baby in the house?) and any other change of environment.

Good luck. I hope you find answers. Even if you don't. It's the change of temp that makes the difference not the temp itself.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com

Tags
Fertility , Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page