Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Family Planning (http://www.mothering.com/forum/180-family-planning/)
-   -   Why did you choose the birth control you did? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/180-family-planning/1374038-why-did-you-choose-birth-control-you-did.html)

adinal 02-06-2013 10:05 AM

I'm in a whole new spot for me.  After 4 years or trying resulting in an IVF to get pregnant with my first and being told by our embryologist that we would probably never get pregnant on our own, we got pregnant! LOL We hadn't been using birth control and figured after 5 years of not preventing and not getting pregnant we were in the clear. Then, surprise, baby #2.

So apparently, I can get pregnant on my own, it just takes about 5 years. lol.gif And given that would make me 42 the next time and DH and I feel the family is complete...I'm in the very new position of needing birth control.

What did you choose and why?

organicviolin 02-07-2013 02:01 PM

I'll be trying paraguard soon. Just had surprise baby #3. DH is done...he was done after #2 though...we shall see if I "feel done" yet

MissCee 02-12-2013 08:40 PM

We chose FAM (Fertility Awareness Method) and use a diaphragm with contragel (natural spermicide) when I'm fertile. I actually tried going on the pill after LO was born (2 different kinds), but I suffered terrible side effects from it and just decided it wasn't worth it. I honestly love FAM . . you really get to know your body when you use it plus there's no icky side effects :) Diaphragms are great too if you're okay with feeling your cervix and all of that. A really great book to read is Taking Charge of Your Fertility if you're interested in FAM :)

adinal 02-13-2013 09:58 AM

I think I have most of TCOYF memorized. lol.gif But with PCOS it isn't as reliable as I would like. So, I'm great at reading signs and not having sex when I *appear* to be fertile, but my body is really great at faking me out. lol.gif

Frioct3 02-13-2013 10:43 AM

I have the hormonal iud. I haven't noticed any of the minor side affects I had while on the pill (moods, weight gain) and love that I don't need to worry about remembering to take/do anything.

ILoveMyBabyBird 02-23-2013 05:26 PM

i am on the pill atm because it is free through insurance, but i am in a current dry spell of no DTD and single, I just started them about 2.5 months back after getting a boyfriend after my divorce but then realized i wasn't ready for a serious commitment. Although I am not ready to stop the pill just in case i change my mind about being abstinent, of course with someone new i would use condoms as well.

katelove 02-23-2013 06:14 PM

We used condoms between babies because I used the Pill previously to manage PMS and didn't like the side effects. When our second baby was born by c/s I had a tubal ligation done at the same time.

adinal 02-25-2013 11:21 AM

Those of you who are on the pill, how old are you and what brand are you on?

ILoveMyBabyBird 02-25-2013 11:32 AM

I am 30 and on a generic pill microgestrin i think it is called.