Who takes care of the birth control when you are done having babies? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Who takes care of birth control when you are done having babies?
Me 8 40.00%
DH/Partner 9 45.00%
Other, please explain. 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

I admit, I'm feeling a little like it's DH's turn, now that we're done. lol.gif I'm wondering how other folks deal with it. Is it your job? Or his?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 21 Old 02-06-2013, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When we're done, like totally done, it's his job. You know, because it's been my responsibility for a long time. My argument was that if I can have his children live inside my body for 9 months and give birth, then he can surely undergo a simple procedure.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 21 Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For us, it was his responsibility. I had four babies, one of them was a complete surprise. Neither wanted of us wanted yet another one! It was his turn for once. The feeling of freedom and no worries is amazing!!!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 21 Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 PM

I voted "other" because I'm still not sure. I thought vasectomy was the obvious choice until I recently read that it has been associated with long term health issues in some men. Need to do more research now. We're pregnant with our last now, so I'd better get this figured out!

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#5 of 21 Old 02-08-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

I voted "other" because I'm still not sure. I thought vasectomy was the obvious choice until I recently read that it has been associated with long term health issues in some men. Need to do more research now. We're pregnant with our last now, so I'd better get this figured out!

Do you have any links or references about this?  I've been hoping DH will do vasectomy, but we'll reconsider if the risks are strong.  Thanks!

#6 of 21 Old 02-08-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Amie View Post

Do you have any links or references about this?  I've been hoping DH will do vasectomy, but we'll reconsider if the risks are strong.  Thanks!
I don't, but I really need to start seriously researching. I was reading threads on here one day and came across someone talking about a vasectomy-Alzheimer's connection, so I started googling and found some info about sperm build up post vasectomy causing anti sperm antibodies and other issues. I'm not clear on how dangerous this is, if at all, but it's been on my list of things to read up on.

If anyone has good sources I'd love to see them.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#7 of 21 Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Amie View Post

I know someone locally whose husband developed an autoimmune disorder after the vasectomy. It seems his body is reacting to the sperm that are being released into his bloodstream.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#8 of 21 Old 02-09-2013, 02:47 PM

We were all set on a vasectomy but started reading and researching the risks and autoimmune issues, so we got freaked out. Pretty much decided against it, now I have no idea what we'll do.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#9 of 21 Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 PM

We're going to try paraguard. Vasectomy and anything permanent freak me out

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#10 of 21 Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 PM

yeah at first i felt like i was going to get my tubes tied, cause if i really changed my mind we could still use his sperm

then we figured we were really done and that he was going to get a vasectomy, then i read about hte autoimmune issues and seeing as that he has had various very bad environmental allergies, i didnt want to stress his body out like that

then was back at my tubes and looking at the essure inserts to not mess with blood supply, but the class they made me take was good, it had me rethinking it, cause they posed the following question: (it was very hard to hear)

if your whole family or your kids were killed tomorrow, can you really say you would never want another biological child?

it made me rethink the permanent thing, i know i could do something drastic like ivf if it cam to that, but yikes

so im back to paragaurd, since hormones for me are not ok.

while i would consider seeing if i could dal with the hormones of a mirena iud but from what was explained to to me

paragarud= possible heavier bleeding and maybe cramps, but normal timing on cycles and not usually spotting

mirena= lighter and lighter periods and cramps, but totally unpredictable cycles and LOTS of spotting

i would way rather take predictable 

i have a appointment to get it put in in 10 days, but i wish i could say i'm at peace with our choice, i'm still wigged out about having something foreign stuck in my uterus 

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#11 of 21 Old 02-11-2013, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I voted other. We intended that DH would have a vasectomy because of the two options (vasectomy or tubal ligation) it is the least invasive surgery. However, as it turned out, I had a repeat c/s instead of a VBAC so I had a tubal ligation done at the same time.

The potential post-vasectomy issues did concern me as well so I'm glad it worked out this way (and so far I don't have any signs of post-tubal ligation syndrome) but the first few weeks were emotionally difficult for me. I found it hard to deal with the reality of no more children + repeat c/s when I'd really hoped for a VBAC + postnatal hormones.

Three months on I'm glad I did it but there is that little voice in the back of my mind saying "we could always try IVF if we had too". I really *dont* want another child, I've just always struggled with truly permanent decisions. I like knowing there are options, even if I never actually want to take them.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#12 of 21 Old 02-18-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

then was back at my tubes and looking at the essure inserts to not mess with blood supply, but the class they made me take was good, it had me rethinking it, cause they posed the following question: (it was very hard to hear)

if your whole family or your kids were killed tomorrow, can you really say you would never want another biological child?

it made me rethink the permanent thing, i know i could do something drastic like ivf if it cam to that, but yikes

My mom had surgery when I was 12 and she shared a room with a woman who was having her tubal ligation reversed because her three children and sister were killed in a house fire, and she and her husband wanted to try and have more children.  So tragic!  It made an impression on me because anything permanent for me or DH is out of the question.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#13 of 21 Old 02-22-2013, 09:04 AM

I opted to go with a Mirena, both on the very slim chance we'd want another baby and because I love not having a period.

#14 of 21 Old 02-22-2013, 02:46 PM

I'll be getting Essure after this baby. Dh isn't against getting a vasectomy, but I want to make sure I won't get pregnant again. I have to go through the pregnancy, delivery, and much of the child raising, so to me it's important I prevent pregnancy as much as I can smile.gif

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#15 of 21 Old 02-22-2013, 03:42 PM

I voted me.

DH is Catholic and religiously against permanent birth control.  I on the other hand am not against it.  :)

I've had 2 c-sections and will probably continue to need them.  I could handle 10 kids but I am only willing to have 4 c-sections at which point I am getting my tubes tied.

#16 of 21 Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
You have all brought up some good things to think about. DH doesn't have any time off until fall, so we're just relying on temporary means now. But I'm rethinking the vasectomy idea. Not sure how I feel about permanent decisions.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#17 of 21 Old 03-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Adorkable,

what do you think of the paraguard so far?

Lori

Christian, homeschooling, military wife.  luxlove.gif

Mommy to 5 wonderful girls and a super baby boy.  

Expecting another sweet energy.gif late August. 

#18 of 21 Old 03-10-2013, 07:14 PM

well i got in put in on the 21st, so only about 17 days ago, and my first cycle turned out to be 9 days , 6 or 7 of which was pretty darn heavy for me.  I expected taht and was happily surprised that i have basically no cramping to go along with the bleeding and only a tiny amount the first 3 days after it got put in, nothing that was more than distracting.

since i have has very light period for the last 5 years or so, it will take some getting used to possible longer heavier ones, but it is very similar to what i had in my 20's so i know the drill and I'm ok with it, it was spotting and irregular cycles that sounded horrid and that is a big reason i choose the paragaurd over the mirrena. my DH upon hearing that i was still bleeding on CD day 9 laughed and said "well sure is one way to be birth control!" we got a good chuckle.

i will say that the calm that has settled over our bedroom habits is wonderful and I'm finally feeling the internal calm starting to work on my misplaced yearning for another pregnancy. That last pat was a really big hope on my part and i still have a long way to go, but they always say it is easier to think you make the right choice once there is little to no going back than when it is looming in front of you, and i hope that is ture in my case. 

I'm very happy with it right now, and glad no one had something done to them that could mess with the larger workings on our bodies.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#19 of 21 Old 03-11-2013, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I voted other... I personally will never fully be "done". If something were to happen to my DH or my children *I* would want the option of having more. 

My DH however will probably be done after a third and DONE after a fourth. It would be his option to choose a Vas if he wanted one or not. 

I will probably try the Mirena either way to try and reduce my periods. 

I would prefer that DH did not get a Vas done but if he is sure he doesn't want more kids and is ok with the risk then that is his choice. 

I believe it should be up to the person who is sure they are 100% done. I know a couple where the woman does NOT want kids ever and the husband would be willing to have them if she was. She wants him to get a Vas and I don't agree with that at all! If she's sure then she should be the one who decides for her.

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35***40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#20 of 21 Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

well i got in put in on the 21st, so only about 17 days ago, and my first cycle turned out to be 9 days , 6 or 7 of which was pretty darn heavy for me.  I expected taht and was happily surprised that i have basically no cramping to go along with the bleeding and only a tiny amount the first 3 days after it got put in, nothing that was more than distracting.

since i have has very light period for the last 5 years or so, it will take some getting used to possible longer heavier ones, but it is very similar to what i had in my 20's so i know the drill and I'm ok with it, it was spotting and irregular cycles that sounded horrid and that is a big reason i choose the paragaurd over the mirrena. my DH upon hearing that i was still bleeding on CD day 9 laughed and said "well sure is one way to be birth control!" we got a good chuckle.

i will say that the calm that has settled over our bedroom habits is wonderful and I'm finally feeling the internal calm starting to work on my misplaced yearning for another pregnancy. That last pat was a really big hope on my part and i still have a long way to go, but they always say it is easier to think you make the right choice once there is little to no going back than when it is looming in front of you, and i hope that is ture in my case. 

I'm very happy with it right now, and glad no one had something done to them that could mess with the larger workings on our bodies.

Thank you for replying!  We were considering the esure, but just can't commit to a permanent decision right now.  Thanks again!  <3

Christian, homeschooling, military wife.  luxlove.gif

Mommy to 5 wonderful girls and a super baby boy.  

Expecting another sweet energy.gif late August. 

#21 of 21 Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 AM

Have you ever heard of this? It looks really promising. I want DH to sign up for the US clinical trials!!

http://malecontraceptives.org/methods/risug.php

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Tags
Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page