Mirena vs. Nexplanon/Implanon - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I need some birth control and nfp, a diaphram, or anything that is used on the spot out of the question because dh and I have continuously made hasty decisions and all of the sudden decided to have a baby (you know, during dtd), so we can't be trusted. I'd planned on getting paragaurd, but I'd never considered the fact that I'm allergic to ost metals, copper included.

I'm taking care of three small children, and the pill is likely to get forgotten. So, I'm opting for something long term. I used hormonal bc for a year or so in high school, but nothing since then. I'm wondering wht other people think about the nexplanon, since I don't know anyone who has one.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 5 Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I guess it's also called Implanon. So I changed the title. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 5 Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM

I had implanon after my son was born and can't recommend it to anyone. I was very depressed, suicidal at times, had mood swings, gained 80 lb. Even though I had a good diet and exercised regularly, I didn't have a period for 18 months but when I did..every other week I'd bleed. However, those are all side effects they say can happen, and I didn't get pregnant on it, so I guess it did its

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#4 of 5 Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM

*job. Sorry, on mobile and just getting the hang of it!

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#5 of 5 Old 03-14-2013, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I had Mirena after my second son and my daughter (now 18 months old). I liked it; my periods became very light and infrequent, which I liked mostly because I normally have raging PMS every month. I was able to get pregnant again quickly with my daughter after my IUD was removed. We've been trying for a few months for another one.

One thing that I'll give you a heads up on is that it takes about six months for a new IUD to settle in. In the meantime, it's common to have irregular bleeding (but it shouldn't be heavy), often for weeks at a time. Not everyone experiences this, but I did for about three months on and off. Once that passed, though, I was happy with not having to make any permanent decisions and not having to worry about getting pregnant before I was ready. I'm like you, impulsive and not to be trusted with NFP-type stuff.

Good luck!

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.

Tags
Family Planning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page