Charting to Avoid--FEBRUARY 2013 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 02-10-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

flower.gif   

flower.gif February 2013 flower.gif

Welcome to the February 2013 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); some are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" or pregnant and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post last month, you may have been deleted from the list. If you have joined recently, please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If you were mistakenly deleted, you would like to be added/removed, or you spot anything you would like me to change, please post or PM me to let me know. Remember, you must post in January if you want to be on the February list!

To those who are new, welcome! Welcome.gif

Who We Are

*Baby_Cakes  BFPChart2.gif

*BirthIsAwesome

*caitlinette

*dreamingtree BFPChart2.gif

*FaithHopeLove29

*HulaJenn  BFPChart2.gif

*JMJ

*JoyFilled

*lactatinggirl

*Lidamomma84

*Lionessmom BFPChart2.gif

*MelissaMarie

*MarineGurl020412

*MissCee

*mt_gooseberry

*1love4ever

*pickle18 BFPChart2.gif

*slammerkin  BFPChart2.gif

*tm0sweet

*vrclay

Wiki Resources for Charting to Avoid

Reasons to Choose Natural Family Planning - Why would you want to use charting to plan your family, anyway? Feel free to add your own reasons for charting!

Types of Natural Family Planning - It's not just the rhythm method. They've got this down to a science with options galore!

NFP or FAM Methods While Breastfeeding - You have options in the postpartum period while your fertility is returning!

Resources For Learning About Fertility Cycles - Find books to read or websites to visit, find an instructor, post your chart online, and learn about how your diet affects your fertility.

Fertility Awareness Method - A quick-start guide to the Fertility Awareness, a version of the Sympto-Thermal Method taught by Toni Weschler in her book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

Common Abbreviations for Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness - BBT, EWCM, TCOYF, and more! Learn what all these crazy acronyms mean here.

Happy Charting Everyone!

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#2 of 37 Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all! I started a new thread for February since there wasn't one up yet. Hope that's okay! I'm currently on CD24 and believe that I am 3-4 DPO (my little minions stole my thermometer and hid it for a few days, so I missed 5 days of temping right when I think I ovulated, so I'm not positive). Here's my chart link: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/34927a

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

#3 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM

CD1 for me, first ppaf at 1 year pp. Surprisingly, it's a relief to get it because I was trying to ovulate for weeks! I'll be using a combo of NFP, diaphragm, and withdrawal.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#4 of 37 Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 AM

Hi ladies. I am so worn out right now so my chart is all over the place. Making an appointment to discuss with my PCM. My cycle dropped to only 23days apart all of a sudden (from 26 or 27, which is still less than what it was in the past) and my flow has been a bit heavier as well.

#5 of 37 Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM

Just started my period today so another successful (or unsuccessful - depending on perspective I guess) month of Charting to Avoid.  Thanks ladies for the support and wisdom.  It's given me the courage to give the artificial hormones the boot and trust myself and my body.

#6 of 37 Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CD 26 here. Might have O'd, but it's not confirmed yet. Didn't get a temp this morning either because the 4 year old came in and wouldn't let me get away with not talking before my temp. :-/

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#7 of 37 Old 02-16-2013, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

I am 9dpo (I think), I had 6 high temps in a row, then one really low one (below cover line), but it went back up again today. Thoughts? I'm expecting my period Sunday or Monday. Chart linky: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/34927a

#8 of 37 Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 AM

I'm feeling confused about my CM. There's not much and it feels sticky, but it stretches a tiny bit? So is it sticky or EWCM?

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#9 of 37 Old 02-16-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

I'm feeling confused about my CM. There's not much and it feels sticky, but it stretches a tiny bit? So is it sticky or EWCM?

I get that too. Always default to ewcm when cta. When ttc, it would be sticky still. Does that make sense?

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#10 of 37 Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 AM

I was wondering if anyone's cycle change a lot after they had a baby?  I use to think my cycle was all over the place but it has been very regular for the past 4 cycles.  This is after 2 babies.

#11 of 37 Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 AM

Hi! I'd like to join smile.gif I don't have a link, I chart on paper. I don't temp right now, sleep is crazy with three littles. I follow my CM and moods. I believe I am CD2 right now.

I have a question! Since I am not temping, I can't be sure. I spot for 3 days before my heavy flow kicks in. I say CD1 is the day the heavy flow starts. Would you agree?
#12 of 37 Old 02-17-2013, 07:22 PM

Yes the first full day of menstruation is CD1. I use the iPhone APP from Ovusoft (TCOYF people) and that is how it works on there too.

#13 of 37 Old 02-17-2013, 07:44 PM

Kaydove-yeah that makes perfect sense. Better safe than sorry! Though honestly part of me would welcome getting pregnant again because it would mean stopping school for the time being, but really it's best to finish before having another.

Owlhowl- yeah I have the same thing happen and I count CD1 as first day of a real period. If you're nursing, as I am, it's not at all uncommon to spot during your LP because it's more difficult for your body to maintain hormone levels adequate to support the endometrium. I see it as extra birth control. :-P

#14 of 37 Old 02-17-2013, 09:21 PM

Well speaking of... My CM is definitely stretchy because I'm spotting.

#15 of 37 Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineGurl020412 View Post

Yes the first full day of menstruation is CD1. I use the iPhone APP from Ovusoft (TCOYF people) and that is how it works on there too.

I can't find the app, what's the name of it?

#16 of 37 Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Bleh. Sketchy CM recently. Kind of ewcm, kind of sticky. 12 weeks pp so I hope my cm is not a sign of ovulation coming just yet. My hair has been falling out, which didn't happen until DS2 started solids last time around, which is also around when AF returned. Weird hormones!

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#17 of 37 Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

CD1, another successful TTA cycle! AF didn't show up until 6:30pm today, I was starting to get nervous and was planning to test tomorrow morning :) Although my cycles have been all sort of wacky due to breastfeeding, the LP has consistently been 10 days since my first pp cycle.

#18 of 37 Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 PM

Hello, everyone!  Sorry I kind of dropped off the map for awhile (and thanks for getting up the new thread!)...I've been in Mexico and thought I would have more chances to get onto a computer with internet, but it just didn't happen.  I still have no sign of fertility.  We're at 18mo pp.  I'm kind of fed-up with bfing, but more scared of weaning a boob-dependent toddler...but I'm ready to get my cycle back.  I never thought I would complain about the state I'm in--who whines about lactation amenorrhea when it lasts 18mo with no confusing signs?   

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#19 of 37 Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 PM
JMJ

Still stalking you all... My baby is 11 months, still tandem nursing and no signs of fertility, and I'm pretty sure there will be no signs of fertility until I gain at least a few lbs, which isn't going to happen any time soon as I keep cutting more foods out of my diet for my baby with allergies. So, unless I've grossly underestimated my body, I'll just keep stalking you all for the next year while I wait for AF to return.

#20 of 37 Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 PM

So when you have an ambiguous temperature shift (it went above my cover line, back below, and then back up and stayed up) do you count the first shift as actually ovulating?

#21 of 37 Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Do you have a chart linky, lactatinggurl?

#22 of 37 Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

mt_gooseberry, I tink you're silly to be whining about lactational amenorrhea wink1.gif ...unless you want to conceive soon, in which case I understand why you would be itching to get your cycle back.

#23 of 37 Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 AM
JMJ

Quote:

So when you have an ambiguous temperature shift (it went above my cover line, back below, and then back up and stayed up) do you count the first shift as actually ovulating?

... but you know what I'm going to say... Wait for the sustained thermal shift... unless you want to bend the rules and increase your chances of getting pregnant... your choice! But the rules are pretty much about sustained thermal shift, though if peak day was before the temp rise, you could count three non-consecutive days of post-peak thermal shift by CCL's rules.

#24 of 37 Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:

I tend to count the latter dip, too, just to be safe. thumb.gif If there's no fertile mucus around the second dip, maaaayybbee...

The first cycle off BC, I ovulated around CD12.  Now every month I notice a dip and fertile mucus around that time, but I don't actually ovulate until CD 18 (another dip, more fertile mucus).  After the first dip, my temps hover around coverline, but after the second, they go way up.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#25 of 37 Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about green tea affecting charting? I've read that as little as one cup a day can lower estrogen - is that true?  

I'm curious because this month, I quit coffee cold turkey, but started drinking green tea (1-2 cups a day) instead.  I definitely had a really weird charting month, with way less EWCM.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#26 of 37 Old 02-23-2013, 12:32 PM
JMJ

Usually green tea is reported to increase CM, not decrease.

#27 of 37 Old 02-23-2013, 01:31 PM

I've read that, too!  Which is why I was so confused.  I figured that must mean it increases estrogen (something I think I could use as a nursing-round-the-clock mom), but found that it's actually documented to do the opposite!  How can it lower estrogen AND increase CM? dizzy.gif

#28 of 37 Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 AM

Hi Mama's-

I was here until I conceived last May.  I'm 2 weeks pp w/ my new baby boy and the bleeding has eased up so I figured I'd start charting today so that I can get a bit of a start instead of trying to start cold turkey 6 weeks out and then have to deal w/ abstinence....

I've used LAM successfully for 6 months w/ my last 4 babies, but for some reason am paranoid that this time around i might cycle early and not know it.  (labor was not easy and i'm a little PTSD i'm afraid!)

i'm exclusively breastfeeding, pumping for a local mom w/ IGT, have 5 little ones 7 and under and use the Creighton Model (suggested by mt_gooseberry and a couple of other moms here when i was last lurking) for NFP.

and since i decided to chart, i decided to come back here and get the support of other mamas b/c that was incredibly helpful last time!!!

blessings and peace-

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#29 of 37 Old 02-24-2013, 04:20 PM
JMJ

Pickle, I'm seeing claims both ways. A lot of fertility teas include green tee for its antioxidant properties, but then I'm also seeing references to the study that I'm guessing you're talking about that shows that daily/weekly green tea consumption lowers estrogen. My own experience is marred by too many confounding factors to say much of anything. Before having any children, I had scant mucus, pretty much all the time the same thing, and hardly any EWCM, but after going on an anti-candida diet, I was able to get just a couple days of EWCM enough to conceive. By the time my cycles came back 2.5 years after conceiving my DD, I was older, my diet was completely different, including drinking green-tea kombucha, and a lot of aspects of my life were different, and I had only a couple dry days after my period followed by less-fertile type mucus for weeks (with delayed ovulation, I assumed caused by breastfeeding), and then a week of more-fertile type mucus before ovulation. Looking at my chart, I could have counted myself fertile only in the presence of more-fertile type mucus and never gotten pregnant during the 6 cycles I CTAed before TTC my son.

#30 of 37 Old 02-24-2013, 04:22 PM
JMJ

HouseofPeace, were you here previously under a different name? Your picture looks familiar. Welcome back!

Tags
Family Planning , Fertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page