Baby is 2 weeks old.... I think I want another one (in a few years), DH wants a vasectomy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi there-

DH and I have 3 wonderful children (4.5, 2.5 and 2 weeks) and before DS was born, I was satisfied being done....

Now, I can't imagine this being the end for us.  I don't know if it is the postpartum hormones or if I really want to have another baby.  I know there is no rush (while I am getting older and am 34 next week) and we can decide later, but DH wants to have a birth control option in place by 3 months (although, fertility never returned for me until 15-20 months postpartum).  He seems to want to have the vasectomy scheduled soon... YIIKES.  

I should add that whenever I talk about it, he says it is not a good time to talk... but he doesn't get upset or anything when I say I want another, or at least the option.  It seems like he is not COMPLETELY closed to the idea, but 95% sure he is done.

What do you think, will the desire pass, or will I forever be sad that we didn't have another?

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#2 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After my third baby I had crazy baby fever for about 8-9 months, then the feelings went away and are now coming back (ds3 just turned two). Though my heart is leaning towards being done..and it's hard for me to admit that.
I definitely felt "done" when I was pregnant and was eager to move on feom the baby phase.
#3 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 03:28 PM

I had serious baby fever following the birth of both of my littles (now nearly 2 and 4 years).  However, I didn't mention it to my husband, who was shell shocked both times.  We had discussed two children, and he is very convinced that he is done (he stays home with the kids and is looking forward to resuming a career).  I'd have another in a heartbeat though, and find I sometimes have a hard time and grieve the third baby we won't have (if I stayed home with the kids he'd probably be more open to a third).  It's not something we discuss anymore because he is so sure and I understand his desire to move out of the baby phase, but I know that if I discussed having another baby with a 2 week old his head might have exploded.

Maybe give it some time and ask that he hold off on anything permanent until you settle into being a family of five?  In any event, I hope its not too all-consuming for you.  I know for me it was, and following the birth of our second the all-consuming desire was tinged with sadness/grief.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#4 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I am having a bit of sadness thinking about being done and I really want to know that there is the possibility.... :(

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#5 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 PM

I totally understand. I am sad thinking about never having a baby again! I love the dynamic our family of 5 has though smile.gif
Just...babies....babywearing...breastfeeding a newborn...ohhh my ovaries!!!
<3
#6 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 PM

It kills me that guys always think they should be the ones to decide these things. Aren't we the ones that are more invested? 

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#7 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 PM

Hmmm..not in our case. Pregnancy is rough on me (super sick, bedrest for the last trimester my last 2 pregnancies) and then surgical births and PPD..so I can appreciate DH not wanting to go through all of that again.
#8 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I had a tubal ligation during my second c/s. the first few weeks afterwards were horrible. Even though we had always planned for two children and I don't enjoy being pregnant. I cried everyday at the thought that I would never be pregnant or have a newborn again.

She's 3.5mo now and I still feel a bit nostalgic but not devastated and I am enjoying seeing her grow and looking forward to the next stages of her life.

I would suggest doing nothing permanent before 3 months. You can always use condoms, you'd have to use them for a couple of months after a vasectomy anyway. Then, once the hormones have settled down see how you feel then.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 PM

There are lots of birth control methods that are not permanent. I would wait at least a few months to make such a big discussion.
#10 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies-

I think I am going to get a diaphragm and hope dh will wait for a while to doxanything.....hopefully we can talk about it soon too.

#11 of 13 Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 PM

DH and I have talked a lot about family size and knowing when to stop and what "feeling done" entails.  We have two children (ages 3 & 1) and we both would like one more child, but beyond that we are unsure.  We aren't there yet, but our plan is that once we both "feel done" we will wait one year before doing anything permanent to see if we still feel done.  While its annoying to use alternate methods of birth control, I feel like permanent birth control is such a big decision, that I'd rather spend a year using other birth control and have peace of mind about the decision than to make a decision that I might come to regret.  

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#12 of 13 Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 AM

Some food for thought as well, I have heard from several sources that a family of say 5 was "done" had some permanent birth control and then the rest of the family was killed in a car accident or other freak accident leaving one survivor. The survivor always "regretted" having the permanent done (if that was the survivor) due to the fact that there was no way of having more kids after that. Or at least much more difficult. They didn't want to replace their previous family or anything but wanted the option of rebuilding in that way.

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#13 of 13 Old 03-14-2013, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This was us after #3 as well. I ended up refusing to let DH get a vas because it was a decision we needed to make when both of us felt completely done. We did FAM and condom combo which quickly gave us #4! I knew I was 100% done during that pregnancy but we did wait until he had just turned one for DH to get snipped.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Tags
Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page