Charting to Avoid--SPRING 2013 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 166 Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you, JMJ. Was going to go the conservative route anyway, but your insights helped a lot. Thanks!

Blogging SAHM to daughters Q (6/09) and R (6/11). computergeek2.gif

#122 of 166 Old 05-08-2013, 08:58 PM

AF is in the building. smile.gif

Either I *did* O on the earlier date, or this is a much shorter luteal phase than any I've had so far (usually 13-17 - this is 10) and it was honestly pretty hellish.

Horrific heartburn 24/7, dizzy spells, back pain, nausea - the works. Progesterone and I...we don't get along! nono02.gifcensored.gif irked.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#123 of 166 Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 PM

Pickle, glad you got your visitor wink1.gif! Though it is really not very fun.

I am now 8 dpo and feeling nauseated, headachy and sluggish. This is my fourth cycle post partum and every one has found me a little worried I might be pregnant. Not that I engaged in any really risky behavior, just that it's always *possible* and it doesn't help when I'm so tired and nauseated. Never used to feel like this during my luteal phase, but I guess feeling like I'm gonna barf is my fun new LP companion. Upside being I'm not quite so bummed when AF/PMS roll into town!

My temps have been a little weird-- went up above the cover line, then a 5 dpo dip (which I read can be normal) but then hovering just above or at the cover line since then. Anyone else have really teeny temp increases during LP? Any other explanations?

Hope everyone got what they wanted for Mother's Day. I personally did no dishes and cooked no meals ALL DAY. Today it's back to reality...

#124 of 166 Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 AM

ugh- 3 months pp and starting to look like either ovulation or an ovulation attempt.

and the fact that i'm ridiculously interested in snuggling and flirting w/ my hubby makes me take the fluids a bit more seriously than i have up to this point!

not fair!  

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#125 of 166 Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 PM

Girl, that SUCKS! Your body really wants 'em close, huh? So frustrating. But on the plus side, sounds like you get your libido back fast. It seriously takes me a year PP to enjoy sex again! Not exaggerating.

#126 of 166 Old 05-25-2013, 11:36 AM

YAY for follow-up 2 w/ my new creighton instructor!  we're working towards yellow stickers and her instructor identified (confirmed my hunch) that much of my mucus was post-intercourse.  did have 2 days of attempted fertile mucus, but should be good for another month or so, then probably the next cycle will be a cycle.

but i'm so much more confident using this method than i had been and thanks again mt_gooseberry and other moms here for sending me that direction!!!

hubby did research on getting a V, but that chased him back to thinking charting might not be so bad.  duck.gif

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#127 of 166 Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 PM

Hello everyone. Just poppin in here to say "hello." I've been "charting" for years now, but basically just using a spreadsheet with symptoms. Temping didn't work well when DD was a baby and I never slept. I'm also nearly 43 so getting a bit cavalier about fertility, I guess.

Anyway, I just got an iphone and am considering whether it's time to move from my old reliable spreadsheet to something a bit fancier. I know many of you use Fertility Friend but honestly it looks like overkill. My cycles are (still) very reliable and it hasn't been a challenge to avoid during obviously fertile times (based on calendar and reliable mucus.)

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions? Totally new to iphones but feeling lost without my chart!

I'll be looking forward to learning more. I sure wish I had known all this years ago ...

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#128 of 166 Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Just checking in.  I think I caught my second PP ovulation yesterday. 

Sarah, I wish I could recommend an app for you, but I don't have a smart phone, so I have no idea.  I use FF for temps, but I don't use it for anything else because I chart Creighton.  I just ignore all of the extras.

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#129 of 166 Old 06-04-2013, 08:24 PM

I like Fertility Friend smile.gif (haven't used the mobile app).  I log temps & CM, ignoring most of the bells and whistles.  Sometimes, I find the note feature helpful (so I can add other symptoms, or explain a weird temp to myself).

It's been a quiet month on this thread!  For me, it's a good thing - it means I've done a good job of keeping track of things, no weird surprises (only temp dips post O are from waking up waaaaaay early) and feel good about TTA (good x 3? haha - tired brain!).  Only curveball is AF is expected to show around this weekend...when I'll be a bridesmaid, in a white dress. blush.gif ROTFLMAO.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#130 of 166 Old 06-06-2013, 08:15 AM

i think apps would be nice.  but i've never used one!

just had the most boring couple of weeks charting ever.  we're settling into a nice rhythm and creighton has been wonderful since my body stopped having mucus every day after DTD.  

not looking forward to ovulating again!!!  or trying to chart that, but hopeful it will be much easier than it has been.  ah, optimism!energy.gif

15 weeks pp already!

#131 of 166 Old 06-06-2013, 10:08 PM

I'm doing great, too! I'm on CD9 and enjoying my first month on the Doering rule, being able to have sex past CD5/6 is so nice since I don't ovulate until between CD20 and CD30! Proud for successfully TTA for 6 full ovulatory cycles :)

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#132 of 166 Old 06-07-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthIsAwesome View Post

I'm doing great, too! I'm on CD9 and enjoying my first month on the Doering rule, being able to have sex past CD5/6 is so nice since I don't ovulate until between CD20 and CD30! Proud for successfully TTA for 6 full ovulatory cycles :)

AWESOME!!!  I had 2 pregnancies after CD27 and so finding a method that allows sex past cd 6 (i fudged it til 14, but still, it could be a LONG dry stretch) is such a blessing!!!  6 full cycles!  going to look up that rule for my own knowledge.  

my last pregnancy i ovulated on CD 21, which i considered predictable and normal after CD27+ and CD35+ dizzy.gif.... 

#133 of 166 Old 06-08-2013, 01:14 PM

yes, it's great! Basically you can have sex up until 7 days prior to your earliest thermal shift in the past 6 cycles, unless there is fertile mucus. For me, sticky is infertile (my BIP) and creamy is very low fertility, so I mostly just keep an eye out for watery or eggwhite. I'm going to be conservative and start abstaining after CD12, but that's a heck of a lot better than CD6!!! Especially because my menstruation usually lasts for 6-7 days. 

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

#134 of 166 Old 06-09-2013, 12:36 PM

Thank you for sharing that rule, Birth is Awesome! I've had three cycles charting now and O is day 21-23. I'll be looking forward to getting enough backlog to use that rule! Thanks.

I use the fertility friend iPhone app. It's good, now that I know to avoid FF's interpretations of my chart smile.gif. I also briefly tried Kindara, but didnt like that you couldn't log spotting in the same place as your period, and that cervical position charting wasn't included.
BirthIsAwesome likes this.

#135 of 166 Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 AM

Hello again,

I did some googling on the Doering rule and several women in different forums said it was only for short cycles (less than 28 days). It makes more sense to be able to use it for longer cycles as I'm usually abstaining well over two weeks before I prolly need to! Did you read somewhere or hear from an instructor that you could use it for longer cycles?

Please point me toward more resources, if you have them smile.gif. I'm getting the distinct impression that TCOYF is FAM lite wink1.gif and would love more info. I know some of you have Creighton/Marquette instructors. Is that expensive? Worth it?

Thanks!
S

#136 of 166 Old 06-26-2013, 12:19 PM
JMJ

The most detailed sympto-thermal information is through NFP International: http://www.nfpandmore.org/.

#137 of 166 Old 06-26-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallardBaby View Post

Hello again,

I did some googling on the Doering rule and several women in different forums said it was only for short cycles (less than 28 days). It makes more sense to be able to use it for longer cycles as I'm usually abstaining well over two weeks before I prolly need to! Did you read somewhere or hear from an instructor that you could use it for longer cycles?

Please point me toward more resources, if you have them smile.gif. I'm getting the distinct impression that TCOYF is FAM lite wink1.gif and would love more info. I know some of you have Creighton/Marquette instructors. Is that expensive? Worth it?

Thanks!
S

my creighton instructor does phone consults after the initial 3 visits and charges reasonably.  we don't have much of an income (usually 5 kids keeps you from having a dual income, though it's not a rule)

i think it's totally worth it while learning a method until you're totally confident.  i love creighton b/c it made my mucus finally make sense.  i always have some mucus according to TCOYF and the creighton gave me a good baseline.

i love that creighton is an end of day every day determination pre-ovulation!  thought i'm sad b/c today was our scheduled day (ha) and i had stretchy/lubricative clear mucus.  SNIFF.

#138 of 166 Old 07-01-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallardBaby View Post

Hello again,

Please point me toward more resources, if you have them smile.gif.
I'm getting the distinct impression that TCOYF is FAM lite wink1.gif and would love more info. I know some of you have Creighton/Marquette instructors. Is that expensive? Worth it?

Thanks!
S

I agree, that seems counter-intuitive (or maybe it's late and I'm just sleepy).  If your cycle is shorter than 28 days, and you could benefit at all from the Doering rule...that means that you either have a really short AF or a fairly short luteal phase (or both), I'm thinking. headscratch.gif  Say, AF until CD 5...one week would be CD 13, so it would have to be later than that...say CD15 or 16...then what, an 12-13 day luteal phase max? (27 day cycle)  Doering rule would buy you one to two measly days of freedom, mid-cycle? 

My cycles are always longer than that - the earliest I O is CD17, and my LP can be as long as 17 days.  So Doering could really help! thumb.gif

I did a few searches because my interest was piqued, but not in depth...and I have yet to actually take the brakes off (pull-out method, instead of condoms - so a bit more relaxed - until CD 10). 2whistle.gif  Will probably have to do more digging now! upsidedown.gif

#139 of 166 Old 07-02-2013, 12:47 PM

Is it wrong to be in the charting to Avoid group if you are only charting in your head?  lol  This just occurred to me.

I am 6 periods into "charting" (22 months since last baby) and I am amazed at how well and normal my periods are, they were all over the place before.  I believe I am "using"/following Creighton method.  I really can't believe how easy it is with regular periods.

Did anyone else get normal periods after childbirth?

#140 of 166 Old 07-02-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyFilled View Post

Did anyone else get normal periods after childbirth?

i could see how you could use Creighton w/out charting, but wouldn't trust myself to remembering it!

i had regular cycles for the first time after my first.  but haven't stayed unpregnant long enough to benefit from it for charting sake.  for the first 6 cycles PP i'm really irregular (60-45 days long) and not til after a year do i go regular.  but here's hoping i make it longer this time!!!

#141 of 166 Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 AM

I'm doing really well! Had a delayed thermal shift again this month, but other than that it was a pretty normal cycle. I'm on CD3 now and absolutely LOVING my new diva cup! It's my first period since I got it and it's amazing. No blood in or around my vagina when I wipe after using the bathroom, no blood clotting in my hair at my vaginal opening, I only have to change it morning and night (at least every 12 hours)...I don't feel like I'm on my period at all! 

#142 of 166 Old 07-15-2013, 09:54 AM

A little off topic, but this has been weighing heavy on my heart and I thought some ladies here might have some wisdom to share.  I started CTA following a miscarraige.  I got pregnant while using the Nuvaring.  I had learned charting back in college when I was abstaining as my preferred method of pregnancy prevention. 

Fast forward to life after 2 children, both with high risk pregnancies requiring 4-5 months of bed rest each time.  After my period returned with my youngest (he was baout 9 months old) I went on the Nuva Ring.  It was convienient, but every month when it was time to insert it, I felt a twinge of reluctance.  I used it for 16 months and then during the course of what seemed like a normal period, I passed fetal tissue.  I knew immediately what I was looking at and my heart broke.  Never again, so I started charting.  My husband was more or less understanding but somewhat brfuddled that the hormaonal method could fail.

If it were totally up to him, he would have had the vasectomy after our 2nd child.  I just can't get on board with anything permanant.  I just think it is not our place to mess with what nature intended.  I think some of this is also influenced by our own childhood and family of origin.  He is one of two children and his father had a vasecotmy at 28, after having my SIL.  I'm one of six and my parents never indicated htat another child was viewed as a burdon or problem.  But that was a different time I suppose.

So here we are wondering if we should add another child to our family.  I've always had this feeling that I would have 3 children.  With the miscarraige, I do have three kids - I suppose.  I am torn.  We have sufficient financial resources to add a child to our family but there will be sacrafices. 

The sacrifice as I see it would be not sending our children to Catholic School.  My oldest is about to start Catholic School and while it will be less expensive than full-time child care, it will not free up enough income for infant child care.  My husband sometimes suggests I quit my job and stay home as a way around this but I do like my job, I've figured out how to balance work and kids and my biggest fear is not being able to re-enter the workforce when I want to.  We would also forgo my retimerment/govt pension savings while I was at home.

So I am blathering on but after going round and round in my head, it all comes back to this - Are we supposed to have 2 kids and send them to Catholic School or three kids and send them to public school?  I wish it didn't feel like such an either/or decision but it does. 

Any wisdom, advice and prayers are appreciated.

#143 of 166 Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 AM

How soon do you need to make a decision?  Can you CTA for a year or two to see how you feel and where you are financially?

#144 of 166 Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 PM
JMJ

vrclay, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your little one. There are always so many factors in these decisions. I have some thoughts, but I don't even know if they are things you'd find helpful. More than anything, of course you have my prayers.

First, there are so many possibilities that you can't really account for, and there is a level of trust, no matter what decision you might make. The Catholic school may have financial aid opportunities or you or your husband may experience a raise or promotion or job loss. You may find that you still have what you need by staying home and that you love it or that you feel unfulfilled and your family suffers financially. There are no guarantees about getting back into the work force later, though you don't know what you'll want then, either. So many things you can't be sure about, but you can't know everything before you make these big decisions. It's a matter of trust. As a Catholic myself, I feel that it is more a matter of listening to God's call. If He calls me to have another child, then I can trust that He will make sure I have what I need, though not everything I want, to answer that call.

Second, in motherhood, I find it helpful to look at the seasons of life and to put life goals into the proper season. The answers are not the same for every mother. Which things did you do when you were single? Which things were most important in the early parts of marriage before the birth of your first child? What is most important when you have young children in the house? How does that change as the kids get older and are more school-aged? How does that change as they get old enough to take care of themselves for a time while you are away without having to get a sitter or daycare? How about when they leave home? What about when you retire? And when you're old enough that you need assistance in caring for yourself? All different seasons and different priorities in those different seasons. Where is the balance in living out your priorities right now and preparing for your priorities in the other seasons of life?

Third, as far as Catholic school is concerned, what are your reasons for wishing to send your children to Catholic schools? Are the Catholic schools significantly better than the public schools in the area? Is home schooling an option for you if you did decide to stay home? Would home schooling save you enough money to make up for the loss in job? Is it a matter of your faith, that you want to pass on your faith to your children through a Catholic education? Do you feel like the Catholic schools in your area will adequately accomplish this? Is there another way to reach the same goal? Church-based religious education? I think that one of the most important ways to pass on the faith to one's children is to live the faith fully as a family. How can you bring your faith into your home more? This is going to be important to your children's faith formation regardless of where you send them to school. Going full-circle, perhaps a good place to start would be to seek to understand what your faith teaches regarding family planning and responsible parenthood. It's much bigger than making your plans and using natural (or artificial) means to avoid or achieve pregnancy.

#145 of 166 Old 07-16-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrclay View Post

A little off topic, but this has been weighing heavy on my heart and I thought some ladies here might have some wisdom to share.  I started CTA following a miscarraige.  I got pregnant while using the Nuvaring.  I had learned charting back in college when I was abstaining as my preferred method of pregnancy prevention. 

Fast forward to life after 2 children, both with high risk pregnancies requiring 4-5 months of bed rest each time.  After my period returned with my youngest (he was baout 9 months old) I went on the Nuva Ring.  It was convienient, but every month when it was time to insert it, I felt a twinge of reluctance.  I used it for 16 months and then during the course of what seemed like a normal period, I passed fetal tissue.  I knew immediately what I was looking at and my heart broke.  Never again, so I started charting.  My husband was more or less understanding but somewhat brfuddled that the hormaonal method could fail.

If it were totally up to him, he would have had the vasectomy after our 2nd child.  I just can't get on board with anything permanant.  I just think it is not our place to mess with what nature intended.  I think some of this is also influenced by our own childhood and family of origin.  He is one of two children and his father had a vasecotmy at 28, after having my SIL.  I'm one of six and my parents never indicated htat another child was viewed as a burdon or problem.  But that was a different time I suppose.

So here we are wondering if we should add another child to our family.  I've always had this feeling that I would have 3 children.  With the miscarraige, I do have three kids - I suppose.  I am torn.  We have sufficient financial resources to add a child to our family but there will be sacrafices. 

The sacrifice as I see it would be not sending our children to Catholic School.  My oldest is about to start Catholic School and while it will be less expensive than full-time child care, it will not free up enough income for infant child care.  My husband sometimes suggests I quit my job and stay home as a way around this but I do like my job, I've figured out how to balance work and kids and my biggest fear is not being able to re-enter the workforce when I want to.  We would also forgo my retimerment/govt pension savings while I was at home.

So I am blathering on but after going round and round in my head, it all comes back to this - Are we supposed to have 2 kids and send them to Catholic School or three kids and send them to public school?  I wish it didn't feel like such an either/or decision but it does. 

Any wisdom, advice and prayers are appreciated.

I apologize if I offend with my nosiness, but are you Catholic?  Is your DH?  If he is, does he know what the Catholic Church teaches regarding sterilization and artificial birth control?  Part of the reason I ask is because even though my DH is Catholic, he doesn't really fall in line with the teachings regarding those subjects and it makes it harder for us to discern as a couple, and for me personally, what we should do regarding having more children or avoiding. 

I would look at your reasons for wanting to do Catholic school.  Is it for reasons of faith?  Cost vs. daycare?  The quality/type of education? I work as a sub in both public schools and a Catholic school, and honestly, I'm not convinced that Catholic school is the better choice.  I would be delighted if we could afford Catholic school, but I absolutely don't lose any sleep over not being able to.  I would also look more into your options regarding work and staying at home.  Really get the details about what it would take to get back into the workforce, gauge your tolerance of having full-time work that is not appreciated as such, and how much impact the loss of funds now and in the future (retirement) will be.

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#146 of 166 Old 07-17-2013, 06:11 PM

Hello! Haven't posted here before, but I have a question for you wise women. I charted to conceive my DS, who is now 14 months old. I got my PPAF at 5 months PP. I've noticed since having him that I have a LOT more EWCM than I ever had before. The majority days of my cycle have some amount of fertile mucus. Is this something anyone else has experienced? Any insight anyone can offer is greatly appreciated smile.gif I'm currently bf'ing 1-2 times/day. I'm planning on temping tmrw morning for the first time since conceiving him, wanting to get back into charting.

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern... it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that . . . one stitch at a time, taken patiently." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

#147 of 166 Old 07-19-2013, 07:42 AM

welcome, daylicious-  I know some of the more experienced and wise women will get back with some REAL answers.  but wanted to say that yes, after my babies, i have had some cycles where i spend the whole time in EWCM.  in fact, i was so frustrated by the levels and confusion as to ovulation and just a lot of mucus that i sought support here and got involved w/ a charting method that really helped me identify and be confident in the differences between my seemingly fertile mucus and my ACTUAL fertile mucus.

that said, low thyroid function (not necessarily numbers, but actually function of the thyroid) can lead to extended periods of fertile type mucus.  addressing ways to support the thyroid helped me dramatically drop my EWCM stretches and simplify my charting!

looking forward to seeing the other wise mama's advice on this as i still struggle w/ loads of fertile type mucus and i'm only 5 months PP and am expecting my first cycle in a month.

#148 of 166 Old 07-19-2013, 10:22 PM

Hey daylicicious,

I'm not a wise woman when it comes to charting (only five cycles in), but wanted to chime in that I also experienced lots of EWCM in my first few months charting (started on my first PPAF which was 19 months PP for me) and that it has been gradually diminishing. I am also breast feeding (well, DD2 is wink1.gif) a TON. This is my fifth cycle in and I finally enjoyed a cycle of very clear and predictable CM with only 2-3 days of EW right before O. In the first cycle it was like 10 days!! Hang in there mama.

Shawna

#149 of 166 Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 AM

Thanks for the responses! I've been thinking I have low functioning thyroid for a while now. I'm going to look into it more.

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern... it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that . . . one stitch at a time, taken patiently." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

#150 of 166 Old 07-24-2013, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm pregnant.  We DTD on day 2 after Peak....  I had told DH it wasn't safe, he misunderstood, and I was like, "What the hell is he doing-oh-that-feels-gooood...."  I'm not feeling very well, so someone else is free to take the reins of the thread, if they wish.  I would hate to see it disappear, but I'm noticing there is not a lot of activity compared to a few years ago, so maybe it has served it's purpose (this is where I discovered NFP!).  Blessings upon you all and I'll see you on the flip side!

Tags
Family Planning , Fertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page