Charting to Avoid--SPRING 2013 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 166 Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

flower.gif

flower.gif Spring 2013 flower.gif

Welcome to the Spring 2013 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); some are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" or pregnant and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post recently, you may have been deleted from the list. If you have joined recently, please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If you were mistakenly deleted, you would like to be added/removed, or you spot anything you would like me to change, please post or PM me to let me know. Remember, you must post regularly if you want to be on the list!

To those who are new, welcome! Welcome.gif

Who We Are

*Baby_Cakes BFPChart2.gif

*BirthIsAwesome

*caitlinette

*dreamingtree BFPChart2.gif

*FaithHopeLove29

*HouseofPeace

*HulaJenn BFPChart2.gif

*JMJ

*JoyFilled

*lactatinggirl

*Lidamomma84

*Lionessmom BFPChart2.gif

*MelissaMarie

*MarineGurl020412

*MissCee

*mt_gooseberry

*1love4ever

*owlhowl

*pickle18 BFPChart2.gif

*777star BFPChart2.gif

*slammerkin BFPChart2.gif

*tm0sweet

*vrclay

Wiki Resources for Charting to Avoid

Reasons to Choose Natural Family Planning - Why would you want to use charting to plan your family, anyway? Feel free to add your own reasons for charting!

Types of Natural Family Planning - It's not just the rhythm method. They've got this down to a science with options galore!

NFP or FAM Methods While Breastfeeding - You have options in the postpartum period while your fertility is returning!

Resources For Learning About Fertility Cycles - Find books to read or websites to visit, find an instructor, post your chart online, and learn about how your diet affects your fertility.

Fertility Awareness Method - A quick-start guide to the Fertility Awareness, a version of the Sympto-Thermal Method taught by Toni Weschler in her book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

Common Abbreviations for Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness - BBT, EWCM, TCOYF, and more! Learn what all these crazy acronyms mean here.

Happy Charting Everyone!

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#2 of 166 Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

I finally got my first PPAF!  First one in 4 years.  I'm on day 11 of my cycle, and things seem to be going normal enough so far.  My period lasted forever, 8 days when it used to be 4-5; is that normal?  I was "light" or "very light" for 5 days.  I'm all dried up now, and waiting to see what happens next....

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#3 of 166 Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM

Hello!! I think I might start temping this month, if I can find my thermometer, lol smile.gif
Last month on a whim we "tried", I was happy to get my period. Actively TTA now til at least the summer. No more winter babies for me!
CD 5 now smile.gif

Does anyone else get crazy baby-fever around ovulation? It seems every month I can justify why another baby right now is a good idea. My poor husband! I was totally surpirsed last month when he agreed. I have come to my senses again.
#4 of 166 Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM

Hello everyone my name 777Star
#5 of 166 Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yes owlhowl! I have always chalked it up to crazy ovulation hormones, glad I'm not the only one wink1.gif I also get very... Uh... in need of my hubby's company around then too orngbiggrin.gif

Had to be talked down from a minor meltdown last week. "But if I'm pregnant I'll have no way of knowing because I have no period to miss and OMG my body isn't ready for another pregnancy right now and ahhhhh my CM is being so weird and BLAH!" I'm having a hard time putting faith in my charting right now haha

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#6 of 166 Old 03-21-2013, 04:41 AM

hi ladies! Thanks for making a "Spring" thread :) I'm 6dpo right now and on my fourth TTA cycle. 

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#7 of 166 Old 03-21-2013, 02:32 PM

Hi ladies! I just started charting to avoid this month, after having my copper IUD removed mid-cycle. I am having a bit of a back and forth agrument with myself over whether I can have sex (unprotected) right now or not. So here's the backstory and the details, any advice is much appreciated!

I used charting for 5 months to conceive my daughter (first baby.) My cycles were consistently 30ish days, give or take a couple. (usually give) I ovulated generally on CD19, except for the cycle where I randomly ovulated on day 14 and conceived my daughter. I saw that coming though, and could have easily avoided pregnancy if that had been our goal. I breastfed for a year, and we did not use any form of protection because we wanted to get pregnant again whenever it happened. I got pregnant before having a period. When my son was about 6 months old, I got the copper IUD because I wanted to wait a few years before our next baby, and did not know when I would ovulate. I got my first ever post partum period about 9 months after my son was born in November 2012. Since then, I have had a period every 30-34ish days, and the IUD was causing me constant discomfort, and then excruciating pain during periods. I got it removed this month, and began temping the day after I got it removed. I also had IC opks in hopes of picking up ovulation that way. My plan was to pick up ovulation with the sticks, watch it go away, then be OK to have sex til my period. Well, the sticks never showed positive. But I did have what appears to be a temperature shift in my chart right at CD19, which goes along with my patterns prior to being pregnant. 

So...if you've made it through that novel, here is my chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/28d40f

Now for the real question...in about 3 weeks my husband is going away for work for 8 months. So we really want to be able to have sex as soon as possible, but I REALLY REALLY do not want to get pregnant right now. 

Thoughts??

ETA i don't know why this part is highlighted!! lol

#8 of 166 Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 PM

hehe on all the ladies who love their men at inopportune times..... i'm so guilty.  hence my last baby.  i had been TTA and charting and abstaining during the day and wham, one morning misbehaved and it was the day i was ovulating.  he's beautiful.  but we might be done.

that said, i'm finally not bleeding postpartum, and started charting, and seem to have mucus every other day or so.  very annoying.  husband left town for 9 days (yay- that makes abstinence easier) but yesterday i had mucus one time and so was terrified to get near him even before he went on a long trip.  i forgot how annoying charting is b/c i have mucus most days.  

my creighton instructor is supposed to be finding me another instructor closer, but i haven't heard back.

post-partum- how safe are we in the first 8 week?

i usually can use LAM successfully (exclusively breastfeeding, no pacis, no thumbs, and pumping for another child at about 20-30oz a day) for 6 months, but still am a bit paranoid since, well, i just had a baby and a hard birth.

8 days after a dry stretch seems normal- i think i'd worry about it if it became a pattern.  but when my cycle has not been regular, it takes a while for it to settle in to normal, which is also around 6 days.  i know i've also had a little over a week and thought it was weird.  

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#9 of 166 Old 03-21-2013, 11:51 PM

Amy Lachney---well, it's hard to be positive about that temp shift when you didn't temp the beginning of your cycle. What is your mucus like? If you *did* ovulate, then you're safe. Why don't you just use condoms all the time for the next 3 weeks, so you have DTD with hubby before he leaves, and then once he's gone you can get good at charting your cycles and knowing your fertility signs so that when he gets back you'll be an expert :) Btw, did you have a Paraguard or a Mirena?

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

#10 of 166 Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM

It was paraguard. We don't want to do the condom thing :-/ i am 99% sure that we would be fine...but i think we'll just wait it out and hope my period is shorter without the iud!
#11 of 166 Old 03-22-2013, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Amy, I had a paraguard IUD and I experienced the same pains! My periods usually lasted 8-9 days with the IUD and after the darn thing fell out (twice!!!) my periods shortened up to 5-6 days. Hopefully it will be the same for you!

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#12 of 166 Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 PM

I had the paraguard for a year before having kids, and it was wonderful. My periods were usually a day or two longer, but that was it. This time around, however, it was constantly SO uncomfortable and it seemed like my periods just went on forever! sometimes 8 or 9 days before it was completely finished! And soaking through tampons after a few hours on the heavy days...which I have NEVER done before, I've only ever changed tampons based on "oh, it's been a while since I changed it, I should put in a fresh one!" lol 

#13 of 166 Old 03-23-2013, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Lachney View Post

Hi ladies! I just started charting to avoid this month, after having my copper IUD removed mid-cycle. I am having a bit of a back and forth agrument with myself over whether I can have sex (unprotected) right now or not. So here's the backstory and the details, any advice is much appreciated!

I used charting for 5 months to conceive my daughter (first baby.) My cycles were consistently 30ish days, give or take a couple. (usually give) I ovulated generally on CD19, except for the cycle where I randomly ovulated on day 14 and conceived my daughter. I saw that coming though, and could have easily avoided pregnancy if that had been our goal. I breastfed for a year, and we did not use any form of protection because we wanted to get pregnant again whenever it happened. I got pregnant before having a period. When my son was about 6 months old, I got the copper IUD because I wanted to wait a few years before our next baby, and did not know when I would ovulate. I got my first ever post partum period about 9 months after my son was born in November 2012. Since then, I have had a period every 30-34ish days, and the IUD was causing me constant discomfort, and then excruciating pain during periods. I got it removed this month, and began temping the day after I got it removed. I also had IC opks in hopes of picking up ovulation that way. My plan was to pick up ovulation with the sticks, watch it go away, then be OK to have sex til my period. Well, the sticks never showed positive. But I did have what appears to be a temperature shift in my chart right at CD19, which goes along with my patterns prior to being pregnant. 

So...if you've made it through that novel, here is my chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/28d40f

Now for the real question...in about 3 weeks my husband is going away for work for 8 months. So we really want to be able to have sex as soon as possible, but I REALLY REALLY do not want to get pregnant right now. 

Thoughts??

ETA i don't know why this part is highlighted!! lol

Looking at your chart...it does appear you ovulated around day 20. Any reason to think you didn't? By "the rules"of FAM you're supposed to have 6 low temps before your thermal shift for it to be definitive ovulation, but I know you didn't start temping until you got your IUD out.  If my husband were leaving for 9 months though, I think I'd roll the dice and go for it, but only you can decide that of course.

#14 of 166 Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 PM

Well, I woke up to a major temp dip this morning, on the exact right day, and found AF around lunch time. Yay for not being pregnant! And fingers crossed for an easier, shorter period sans IUD. 

I am really glad my period came right on time. It appears that I am going to go back to my old cycle of ovulating on day 19/20, with a luteal phase of 11-12 days. Should make charting pretty easy! Hooray! 

Now for the bad news...I should be ovulating right around the time my husband and I go our separate ways :-( Bummer. BUT I will see him in July for a week or two so that's not TOO far away.

BirthIsAwesome likes this.
#15 of 166 Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi Ladies! wave.gif

I would like to join you smile.gif

I did CTA for about 6 months in 2010 before we had our oops blush.gif that resulted in a April 2011 babygirl.gif, so I am familiar but rusty with the FAM rules. I miscarried angel.gif March 2012 and have been on birth control pills ever since. DH and I have decided that we would like to have another little one and will probably start TTC come June or July. My chiropractor recommends avoiding conception for several months after stopping BC and doing a cleanse as part of preparing the body. I haven't linked a chart in a long time but here goes:

chartnew.gif

This is my very first cycle after stopping the pill so I expect it to be wacky nut.gif

Thanks for letting me hang out. I look forward to getting to know everyone!

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#16 of 166 Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 AM

Ok, that chart link didn't work, let me try again chartnew.gif

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

#17 of 166 Old 03-26-2013, 01:56 PM

11dpo...my normal LP is 10dpo. BFN this morning, but starting to get a smidge worried! Fingers crossed AF shows up tonight or tomorrow!

#18 of 166 Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM

BirthIsAwesome - my LPs have been all over the map since AF returned a few months ago - started out 13 days, then lengthened to a whopping 17 days last cycle (talk about freaked out! yikes2.gif).  So, it's entirely possible your body is just still adjusting and naturally lengthening your LP a bit (as your fertility returns full force - longer LP tends to mean more time for beans to stick, right?).  Fingers crossed for ya! 

AFM - I have no idea what is going on in my wacky cycle.  I have had a rough month with the death of a grandparent and other family stress, and my temping is always a bit erratic, based on when DS wakes up - but worse this month, with lots of holes from a missing thermometer. shy.gif  Here is a link: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3ff9d0

For background, I typically have a "warning dip" a few days before I actually O (like my body gears up to O, with a temp dip and fertile mucus, but then temps only rise to coverline - usually followed shortly by another patch of fertile mucus and another dip, which is my "real" O with temp shift).  

In short, this cycle I think that first dip was likely around CD 11/12, followed by another bit of fertile mucus and dip at CD 15.  Ovulation pains (I've gotten good at identifying these - they're strong) on CD 16 and into CD 17.  Temps rose to normal post-O height for CD 18 and CD 19.  Dip on CD 20 (restless night w/ disturbed sleep prior), back up today (CD 21).

Is this a fallback rise?  When do you think I O'ed?  Does it look like I haven't ovulated yet (FF won't give me anything)?  We DTD on CD 13 and CD 16, but used condoms as back-up, so early implantation dip is unlikely.

Thoughts? confused.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#19 of 166 Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 AM

BirthIsAwesome -  fingersx.gif that af.gif shows up soon!

pickle18 - We both have April 2011 babies! Your temps are really hard to figure out. I kinda want to say you O'ed on the last day of wet CF and that the odd temp is a fall back but I don't know??? shrug.gif

I am about to start temping again but we co-sleep with our almost 2 year old and she wakes me up every night at about 2:30am. Since I can't always fall back asleep right away I don't know how reliable my temps will be. confused.gif

#20 of 166 Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Add me to the list!  First cycle back on the temping train.

Kris: in love with J "auntie" to W (7yrs)  and Z (5yrs)

→Waiting to start my own little family←
Someday it will be my turn!
#21 of 166 Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM

Does anyone use OPK to help determine when not to DTD? A one month's supply of tests costs about the same amount of money as my birth control pills cost. It looks like the kit may just tell you when you are in the 48 hours prior to O and I usually have fertile CF for several days before O so I was thinking it might not be that useful for avoiding. Just wondering what others thought.

#22 of 166 Old 03-27-2013, 03:06 PM

I used OPK's before I got my first PP AF. It was nice having the extra peace of mind!
#23 of 166 Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 PM

Thanks, pattimomma! smile.gif  That is the way I'm leaning, too.  Will be looking for a few more high temps before I really feel "safe" though.  It's been such a strange month - and last month I barely had any ewcm, which was odd, and this time none (so far). shrug.gif

We co-sleep, I nurse all night, and my temps are never at the exact same time, but I usually still have a pretty clear pattern...just not so much this time, and last month's was a lil odd, too.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#24 of 166 Old 03-28-2013, 06:16 AM

Thanks ladies! AF paid me a visit :) I had a 12 day luteal phase this month. You're right, it probably is just my wacky breastfeeding cycles still! This AF starts my 5th postpartum cycle.

Pickle18---omg, that would freak me the heck out! 17 days!!! ha.

#25 of 166 Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM

Oh boy, ovulated a bit earlier than usual. DTD 5 days before O. That day was sticky & I was still spotting from AF. Of course googling the likely hood of getting pg five days before O was not hopeful...unless I want a baby girl, lol!
#26 of 166 Old 03-29-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlhowl View Post

Oh boy, ovulated a bit earlier than usual. DTD 5 days before O. That day was sticky & I was still spotting from AF. Of course googling the likely hood of getting pg five days before O was not hopeful...unless I want a baby girl, lol!

That is exactly how I got my youngest DD!

#27 of 166 Old 03-29-2013, 05:23 PM

Ahhh! LOL smile.gif
#28 of 166 Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 AM

grrrr- i remember why it's so hard for me to handle avoiding!  DH just got back after being gone for 9 days, we just started to be intimate again right before he left (i'm 7 weeks PP tomorrow) and so we DTD after a dry day of charting.  This morning, mucus- stretched to 2 inches, yellowish, and thick and not my usual fertile mucus.  then 2x today a thin clear mucus that stretches to 1 inch.  

at 7 weeks PP, is it fertile mucus or healing mucus?  Could the stretchy thin stuff be leftover from yesterday if my muscles aren't working as well (i did do kegels after and tried to remove it all)?  I hate to turn him away today after being apart for so long, but if we dtd yesterday and today my body is making weird mucus, is it too late?  grrrrr....

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#29 of 166 Old 03-31-2013, 07:02 PM

Hi ladies! May I join?

This is my second PP cycle and I am charting to avoid using NFP and a cervical cap. Here is my story...

My cycles are really wonky and always have been since the birth of my first in 2007. I tend to have very long cycles with very short luteal phases, often with spotting mid-LP to end. This is the first cycle using a cervical cap, however, I had sex ONCE without it because I didnt think I was fertile because my cervix was not soft or high like normal when I ovulate, and I was getting over an illness... Amyway, next day my temp rose and my cm dried up and my cp dropped and closed. Ah Oh. :/ So... waitig game now. We were trying to AVOID pregnancy until mid-October.

Thoughts on my chart?

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1553df

The reason I'm nervous is that I am having NONE of my typical pre-AF signs like cramping, spotting, acne... I just feel tired, kinda nauseous at times. Yikes!! BFNs so far but I know its early.... yet with a short LP it might not be THAT early...

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#30 of 166 Old 04-01-2013, 03:46 PM

KaliShanti, I looked at your chart, seems you got a BFP! ?
How are you feeling?
<3

Tags
Family Planning , Fertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page