Has anyone tried charting with a Mirena? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm jumping the gun a little here, but we are considering TTC starting about six months from now.

If we did we would be trying to time for a boy, which would require me to be able to pinpoint ovulation.

I've never charted before and I would like to track my cycles for a few months before we are actually TTC to become familiar with the process and my cycle. 

One option would be to remove the IUD and CTA or use an alternative birth control method until we are ready; however I love the Mirena so much I'm really reluctant to go back to barrier methods.  Also I absolutely do not want to conceive until after DD2 turns two. 

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried to chart while using an IUD before.  I think technically I should still be ovulating so I should be able to see a temperature shift correct?  I do get a few days of spotting occasionally as well, although I haven't at all been keeping track to see if it is coming at period-like intervals.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

mirena should suppress ovulation at least some of the time. Due to its hormones i do not think charting while on it would be a good indicator of cycles and how they would behave off of it.

#3 of 5 Old 04-13-2013, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

yeah, charting on the Mirena wouldn't give you any clue of how your body will function without the device and hormones. I'd recommend switching to a copper IUD or a barrier method while you start learning your cycles. 

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#4 of 5 Old 04-13-2013, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I tried, but there was nothing to chart. I did not have cycles with Mirena in place. I am in favour of removing it a few months before TTC in order to give your body a chance to regulate itself and to give you a chance to get familiar with your body.

BirthIsAwesome likes this.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#5 of 5 Old 04-13-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh boo.  Thanks for the input everyone.  Guess it will be back to condoms for us, at least for a while.  Sigh.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Tags
Family Planning

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page