"Advanced" maternal age - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am very excited to admit that my husband and I are finally thinking about TTC again in the next six months or so. I have a very spirited 3 year old who has required all of my attention, so I was not ready to even think about another child. Now that he is getting older and more independent, DH and I agree that we aren't done. The concern I have is that I am going to be 34 in July. I am hoping we will start TTC in September. If we don't get pregnant right away, I will be 35 or older when I give birth. Do I need to be concerned? Is there anything I should be doing to ensure my health, or is this in any way different than TTC at a younger age? I had a wonderful natural birth with my son, and I would love to have the second pregnancy and birth go the same way.

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

#2 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I will be 38 when I deliver my baby, and my OB has never mentioned my age except maybe in reference to my risk of having a baby with a chromosomal abnormality.  All of my testing turned out just fine though.  35 is an arbitrary number that doesn't necessarily mean much.  I know plenty of people who had healthy pregnancies and homebirths at ages beyond 35.  I would advise starting folic acid 3 months before you start TTC and seek some additional testing if you aren't pregnant after 6 months of trying.  Other than that, Good Luck!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I understand your concern but....you are still very young and probably healthy. I think most doctors consider 39 advanced but even then it is fine. My friend in France just had a healthy baby boy(at home) and she turned 43 last month!

ETA: How exciting btw!!

#4 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I don't feel old or anything, lol. I heard something about being treated as high risk if you are over 35, but I don't know if it's true. My brother has downs, but my mom was 23 when she had him, so I know that age really means nothing. I am trying to be healthy in preparation for TTC, but I'm not sure if there is anything special I should be doing.

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

#5 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I was worried I would be considered "high risk" too, but I have never heard that phrase directed at me. 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#6 of 9 Old 06-10-2013, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My "advanced age" has never been mentioned to me by anyone at all. I am 39 and just had my 7th baby seven weeks ago.

Good luck! love.gif

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#7 of 9 Old 06-17-2013, 02:53 PM

I was 35 when my youngest was born and just posted a thread about hubby wanting another baby and I am 40 now!! Good luck concieving and enjoy your pregnancy!

#8 of 9 Old 07-01-2013, 04:31 PM

I was 35 when I gave birth to my first.  There were some extra tests, but we could have declined them.  We didn't because of previous issues they were reasonable.  I think advanced maternal age is just an insurance term these days, good news is that insurance is more likely to pay if you need something extra. I had one former military doctor tell me that in the military they actually used the term elderly pregnancy!  Not sure if it was true.  But, you have nothing to worry about.  I am right there with you on having the spirited toddler and not being ready to think about TTC again, hopefully I'll come out of this stage as it seems you have!  Be well with your choice and your body (which BTW is perfectly capable of this).

Aug 2009;  DS1 Sep 2010; Dec 2012; Dec 2013; May 2014
#9 of 9 Old 07-01-2013, 05:04 PM

They may as well put on my paperwork "Old as Hell" LOL. I'll be 39 when I deliver my second and I was 35 for the first. I am considered high risk because I have gestational diabetes and I'm older. But whatever!!! Hubby and I have even talked about having another down the line so I guess I'll be senile by then LOL.

Don't worry, be healthy, and good luck on your next pregnancy!!!! <3

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Tags
Family Planning , Fertility

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page