Paragard IUD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-25-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all,

I just wanted to give you all my experiences with BC and the IUD. I was on pills, mostly orthotricyclene, for nearly 15 years. I began having an issue with it making me sick and causing severe headaches and I tried the lower estrogen types where I experienced severe depression and mood swings and lack of sex drive along with an inability to have an orgasm. It was terrible!! So I researched the hell out of the IUD's and, fully informed of all the risks, I opted for the hormone free ParaGard IUD in May of 2011.

I have had it now for just over 2 years and I have been fairly happy with it. Insertion wasn't as bad as I expected. Although it wasn't comfortable it didn't hurt like others described online, I had some moderate cramping throughout the day which I managed with Motrin and I was back to work the next day without any issues. My first 3 months of periods were insane! I bleed very heavily and had really bad cramps. I was able to get some relief with Midol but I really had to keep up with the pads and I went through them like crazy! Between my 4-6 months they lightened up significantly and eventually they became normal again though they never were less than 7 days. I did have some intermittent bleeding between periods but nothing significant.

It has changed sex a little for my husband and I, he is a little above average and it makes some positions more difficult at certain times of the month when I am a little more sensitive but we adjust and move through it. I have no real complaints.

Unfortunately, as happy as I have been with my IUD, I have had some recent issues arise. In June I began spotting 10 days prior to my period. Once I started my actual period it hasn't stopped and I have been lightly bleeding now for nearly a month straight, but I have had no pain. At the 3 week mark, I called my doctor and went in for an ultrasound. I was informed yesterday that my IUD has embedded slightly into the right side of my uterus. I will be having it removed tomorrow morning. I am very nervous, though my doctor told me that there is no perferation, I am still very worried about any possible damage that there is or that may be caused by removing it. 

I am now on the look out, once more, for a form of BC that won't make me sick, kill my sex life or destroy my body. I am sad because I really do love my IUD and not having to worry about taking pills, using hormones or using condoms (which I always break). But, I guess it's just not something that my body accepts well.

So ladies, do your research and understand the risks and benefits. I am sure I will not have any further issues with the removal, but I just wanted to share my story for those looking into this option.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

#2 of 2 Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

We have a huge thread about paraguard here on the forums. It would be great if you'd post your story there too. :)

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/200926/paraguard-reviews-mirena-vs-paragard-iud

Tags
Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page