How to get started - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-12-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Those of you using NFP, how did you get started?  I'm 6 month pp, and I haven't started ovulating yet, but we do not want to get pregnant again until my little one is at least a year but probably a bit older.  We aren't interested in any artificial means, and my cycles are very irregular.  It's looking like NFP is the way to go, but it's all a bit overwhelming.  Does anyone know of any resources that talk about the specifics in detail?  Any websites or books?

TIA!

Amanda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 08-12-2013, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

fertilityfriend.com and the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. While you aren't cycling you could just learn how to track and watch for ovulation type cervical fluid and position to know when to abstain, and be careful anyway (barrier or at least withdrawal), if you don't want to take your temp every morning and chart yet. The temp increase will only tell you when you already have ovulated and help you understand your typical cycle for next time. I get a lot of false signs my body's trying to ovulate during LAM.

#3 of 14 Old 08-15-2013, 05:41 PM

Thank you, AmandaK! I was about to ask the same question. I've been on the pill for a long time. Right now I'm taking a non-estrogen pill, since I'm still breastfeeding (DD is 19 months old) and I have some doubts about how it works in my situation (is it the same as if I wasn't breastfeeding?). I've been very skeptic about it, but lately I got curious and I'm willing to try it :)

#4 of 14 Old 08-15-2013, 05:51 PM

Not sure what your religious beliefs are, but www.christianfamilyplanning.net is a WONDERFUL resource.  They have a great, affordable online class for beginner and intermediate NFP/FAM users, and an EXCELLENT free forum for all kinds of support (TTA, TTC, loss, pregnancy, parenting, etc).  So blessed that I can call the ladies on there my friends.

#5 of 14 Old 08-15-2013, 06:29 PM

We are 10 months pp and have been abstaining for the past 4 months. I HAVE NEVER WANTED MY PERIOD TO COME AS BADLY AS I DO NOW!.. Okay, sorry for shouting. I have used NFP with all 4 of my children. I too am irregular and am determined to keep it natural. Seems that cervical mucus has always been pretty reliable. If its like stretchy egg whites, I wait 3 days. And I don't trust pulling out!!
#6 of 14 Old 08-15-2013, 06:30 PM

I definitely think "Taking charge of your Fertility" is a great resource! However, being that you're pp and don't have a regular cycle right now, I'm not sure how well NFP would work. I've heard that starting on the mini-pill can get your cycles back to normal again, but being on the pill isn't for everyone.

Would love to hear other mamas opinions on what they have done, because we are still unsure about what we will do for BC after this pregnancy.

I love the idea of NFP, but after charting for months, I had one off cycle and we ended up getting pregnant our first month using it fully.

#7 of 14 Old 08-15-2013, 07:14 PM

I've been very impressed with the Couple to Couple League's materials (http://www.ccli.org/), having successfully used NFP (both to postpone and to achieve pregnancy) for about 12 years. They're a Christian organization, so you may have to skip some chapters of their book if that isn't your leaning, but I found their discussion of NFP methods to be more in-depth than most other resources I came across, particularly when dealing with less-typical situations (post-partum, coming off birth control, irregular cycles, etc.). Their software is also quite good. 

#8 of 14 Old 08-15-2013, 07:42 PM

NFP works very well pp if you practice total attachment parenting.  Our babies slept in our bed and had 24/7 access to nursie.  We delayed solid foods too. My fertility did not return for 18-24 months (results not typical).  After that, we used the lady comp http://www.amazon.com/VE-Valley-Electronics-GmbH-Germany-LCF1001/dp/B000NOKX4Q , a gift from my mother after our fourth child. smile.gif  We also rely heavily on he materials from couple to couple league. 

#9 of 14 Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 PM

We purchased a machine called LadyComp which you use to take your temp in the morning. Lady Comp learns your cycle and tells you if you are at risk for becoming pregnant. I liked it because it took out the human error part of it

#10 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 04:29 PM

I was going to say the same thing as LauraCH. So long as you nurse on demand, including at night, it's most likely that you will not ovulate for at least a year pp. For me it was about 18 months after both my babies, as best I can recall (they are now 23 and 27). And it's the best gift you can give your baby as well! 

I used NFP for many years. It worked way better than diaphrams that's for sure. After I was finished having babies, I got an IUD and never looked back. That was the best of all.

#11 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherforever View Post

I was going to say the same thing as LauraCH. So long as you nurse on demand, including at night, it's most likely that you will not ovulate for at least a year pp. For me it was about 18 months after both my babies, as best I can recall (they are now 23 and 27). And it's the best gift you can give your baby as well! 

I used NFP for many years. It worked way better than diaphrams that's for sure. After I was finished having babies, I got an IUD and never looked back. That was the best of all.

And then there are the oddballs, like me.  We nursed on demand, no bottles, no pacifiers, followed all of the rules for lactational amenorrhea, and my cycles came back at 10.5 weeks postpartum. nono.gif  I was not amused.  I'm so glad that I wasn't feeling healed enough to...resume activities.  I had VERY short luteal phases (MAYBE 4-5 days based on cervical fluid--wasn't able to temp) the first few cycles, but at 6 months PP, I caught ovulation with cervical fluid and temp, and started my period 14 days later.  

#12 of 14 Old 08-18-2013, 03:13 AM

Same here. I nursed on demand and my period came back about 4 months PP

#13 of 14 Old 08-18-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all SO much for the resources . I'm gonna check out that book and the websites. I'm really intrigued by the online class. I nursed dd2 on demand and my period came back at 9 months. At the time it was nice because we wanted to start ttc at about a year. Now I'm 7 months pp and I had spotting last month, so I'm pretty sure I'll be starting soon :-/

I'm excited to start this journey. I wouldn't want the pill for numerous reasons, and nfp just feels empowering. And I'm sure it will help when we go for number four !

Thank you all again!

Amanda

#14 of 14 Old 08-21-2013, 02:11 PM

NFP is empowering! I think you'll enjoy all the knowledge you will gain from learning it. I also use the Couple to Couple League's information and resources. I ordered the home study course and learned on my own. 

There is more to lactational amenorrhea than nursing on demand. I can't remember the six "rules", but I do know another one is not using pacifiers. I followed all the "rules" and I got my period back around 9 months post-partum with both my kids.

Catholic, SAHM, Married 6 yrs. , Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is 4, DS is 2-we had a wonderful , EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to two unrelated girls. 

Tags
Family Planning , Lady Comp Fertility Monitor Fahrenheit

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page