mini pill, BF, and libido question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I'm currently nursing my 10 month old and taking the mini pill and, in terms of my libido, I've never felt so apathetic.  I find it annoying and my poor husband finds it absolutely horrifying!  I know it's common to have a lowered sex drive when BF and taking the pill, but I am wondering if women have continued nursing but stopped the pill and experienced a return to their libido? I wanted to stay on the pill until my son was a year, but if I could feel "normal" again, I'd be willing to go off and try something else!  Anyone have any experience with this?  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 06:57 PM

Yes, that was my experience too. Felt almost numb shortly after starting the minipill, it was intense. Went off it but kept nursing and felt better immediately.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

That's so good to hear!  Thanks!  I finished my last pack of pills last night and officially decided not to start the next one.  Let's see how this goes!!

Old 09-03-2013, 12:39 PM

Oh, totally. Any kind of hormonal birth control just totally decimates my libido. Depo Provera is the worst, but any type of pill does it too. I figured it out when I was off the pill for a year or two, then tried to go back on it.

I had a copper IUD for a few years and loved it. I know some women on here have bad side effects, but it was a great choice for me.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

Tags
Family Planning
User Tag List