self-removal of IUD question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-11-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

When you do a self-removal of an IUD, when in your cycle do you do it? I have the copper one and have wanted to be IUD free for a long time, so, after reading the copper side effects thread, I am ready to go in the bathroom right now and get it out of my body- but I will need to do it correctly. So, advice? 

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#2 of 10 Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Bump!
#3 of 10 Old 02-13-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Agh... I started my cycle today. I am able to feel the string, but not get it. I called the clinic and they said I need to come in and "discuss" a removal, then make another appt to remove. And they can't get me in until next Thursday. I tried to tell her I am in pain and just want it out, but nope. I am feeling frustrated.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#4 of 10 Old 04-05-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After searching online on how to do it myself. I was pretty confident I could do it. My midwife had told me she left the string long too so figured I would be able to just grab it. I had no luck finding the string and sent hubby on a diving expedition also with no luck. We regrouped and went to ebay and bought a vaginal speculum for less than 5 bucks and it was here within a couple of days. I already owned forceps because I am a medical professional. I boiled them both and we went in for another try. Hubby immediately found the string and grabbed it with the forceps. Just as I was saying " Go slow and let me know when you start pulling" he said " It's already out. The whole process took less than 30 seconds and we saved ourselves a couple of hundred dollars. It was that simple. I had a tiny bit of spotting and some cramping last night but I am raring to go today. By no means am I recommending this to anyone. Having a medical professional is always the best route to go and complications do occur. I was lucky. I have read that midwives prefer to remove it during your period because it is easier. Mine was removed mid cycle without issue.
#5 of 10 Old 04-05-2014, 11:29 AM

I don't remember when during my cycle I removed mine, I just found the string and pulled it out. I had the copper one, too. It was quick and fairly painless

#6 of 10 Old 04-07-2014, 09:11 AM

I am going to go back to charting. The copper IUD is starting to mess with me. Acne, cramps randomly during the month, heavy periods and random mild nausea....so done

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#7 of 10 Old 04-08-2014, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Most people recommend during your period but I did it just before my period because I have very short periods and wanted the blood flow to "wash out" any leftover copper ions (which may be totally imaginary but whatever.)  It was super-easy.  I kind of scooped out any moisture from my vagina with my fingers, dried my fingers off well, gripped the strings and pulled slowly but steadily.  It came out super-easily (I was prepared to stop if it hurt or resisted at all.)  I had about a 10-second vagal nerve "rush" and then that was that.  The best part is telling care providers what I did - they think I'm nuts or a rock star.  

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#8 of 10 Old 04-15-2014, 06:20 PM

Hi this is my first time on this site. i have been reading up on how to remove mine and all the advice is good however when i start to pull and the coil starts to come out i get really bad cramps so i have to let go!! Very frustrating!! Any advice?? Maybe half a bottle of wine to ease me lol... help!!!
#9 of 10 Old 04-16-2014, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natpark91 View Post

Hi this is my first time on this site. i have been reading up on how to remove mine and all the advice is good however when i start to pull and the coil starts to come out i get really bad cramps so i have to let go!! Very frustrating!! Any advice?? Maybe half a bottle of wine to ease me lol... help!!!

My plan was that if it hurt at all, to stop and see a doctor or nurse.  I felt nothing.  I would not continue.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#10 of 10 Old 04-26-2014, 05:04 AM

First time poster here.I came on to fibd out what would happen if I kept my iud ib past five yrs and I saw u can take it out at home ur self.Well I think I need to cause I have had alot of the same side effects posted on here, mood swings, weight gain,crying over lil things, depresion, u name it, more then likely I have had it.I have been with my,husband 9 years and almost 9 married, and we have had some dozzies of fights and after reading the posts on this site, I think I see why.I called and told him I would like to do this and asked him to help and I can honestly say I am looking forward to having this out.I hope it will be fast and painless and I will be back to a sex drive like we use to have (or it may be cause I am 40 and he is 29 so I figured my sex drive went when I turned 40) but I miss my husband being like he use to be before this mess and I hope it will control my screaming at my,kids for stupid stuff. wish me luck

Tags
Family Planning , Fertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page