Nuva-ring, depo shot or IUD???? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone here use the nuva ring or an IUD? I really need a more permanent method of birth control. I neevr heard of teh nuva ring before yeasterday, has anyone tried it? I can't use it until Mare's weans but I'd still like to hear about it. In teh mean time what about teh depo shot or an IUD? Anyone have any experiance with those?

I'm really not interested in chart planning, I'm not disiplined enough for natural family planning to work. SO I need something low maintance that works well while nursing, any thoughts?
#2 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 01:45 PM

Stay away from Depo. Far away. Unless of course you want to gain weight and lose bone mass and have a chance at hair loss and some delightful mood swings and depression. Plus you could see a drop in milk supply. And it messes up your cycles. It may stop them altogether, which can be a nice break but you could also be one of those poor suckers who bleeds constantly for 2 weeks.
I'd go with the IUD if I were choosing between the ring, the shot and an IUD. It probably won't be pleasant getting it put in, but once it's in you can forget about it for a while, and it's reversible. With the ring, you've got to trade it out every month and with the shot you can't undo it and you can experience side effects for months afterwards.
#3 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 01:48 PM

The depo is awful. I'm gaining weight, my hair is coming out in clumps and my sex drive is almost non-existent. I'm due for another shot in a week but I'm not going to get it. DH and I discussed it and decided it was time to look into something more permanent so he has an appt to find out about getting a vasectomy. I wouldn't recommend the Depo at all.

Edited to say I just read Elphabas reply and I totally forgot about the cycle thing. For the first 2 months on the shot I won't have a period at all but then for the last month I'll have a period the whole month.
#4 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 01:52 PM

I have a non-hormonal copper T IUD and I have to say that it's been FABULOUS! I don't have to think about it at all and the only side effect has been PMS . I never got PMS before af, only during, but now I get a bit before. Oh, and a get more spotting before and after and slightly heavier bleeding during the 1st and 2nd day of af.

The insertion wasn't exactly what I'd call 'comfortable', but it wasn't bad. I just got one monster cramp when he inserted it and the discomfort that goes along with a pelvic. I spotted a bit for 3 days after that, but that's it! Small price to pay for never having to worry about birth control . This one is good for 4 years, but it's most effective for the 1st two. We're planning to TTC at around 2 years tho, so I'm gonna have it taken out then.

I've heard horrible stories about the DEPO but nothing on nuva ring!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#5 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Joi

I used the nuva ring for awhile but (TMI I know) it was like instant yeast infection for me.
#6 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 02:34 PM

I have had no problems with the Depo shot. I was on it for years- it did cause my periods to stop though. I also had no fertility problems afterward. (I was pg 6 months after my last shot.) Nor did I have any probems with my milk supply. However, my cousin bled for almost 3 months on the shot and still got pregnant so maybe I was just really lucky. I don't know anything about the nuva ring or IUDs- my Aunt (an OB nurse) advised me against IUDs and the ring is too new.
#7 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 02:41 PM

PLEASE WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT GET DEPO PROVERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Depo Provera caused me so many health problems. Horrid Mood swings, to the point that I really thought I was insane, 100lb weight gain, that I can not seem to get off, 5 years of infertility, major hair loss, major loss of sex drive, ect...

Do you know that they use depo provera on sex offenders in prison? They use it to chemically castrate them.

There are support groups all over for people that used depo provera and regret it.

PLEASE DO NOT USE DEPO PROVERA!!!!!!!!!!
#8 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 02:46 PM

I've used the nuvaring for a year and I love it. Yes, you have to remember to change it once a month, but I can handle that. I haven't had any side effects. Dh says he can occasionally feel it during sex, but it's not a problem.
#9 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 02:52 PM

I've had an IUD for around 6 months and have really liked it. The only thing I've noticed is heavier flow each month. Cramping was worse around my first cycle but haven't noticed it since. The dr said that was it "settling in to place". I had been on bcp for years before having my dd and didn't want to do anything hormonal anymore. I've been happy so far.
#10 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 02:52 PM

I just thought I would add my experience here. I had my first Depo shot in November and I bleed for 5 months straight, had no sex drive and was horribly moody. I have a friend who has been unable to concieve after being on Depo for 5 years. That is very scary to me. I never got the second shot because I hated all the bleeding and how it made me feel.

I just had a Mirena IUD inserted this morning. I took Ibuprofen before the insertion and it was only a bit more uncomfortable than a pap smear and took about five minutes. The nurse assisting with the procedure told me she has had hers for a year and loves it. The hormone dosage is so small that there are very little side effects. I'm really hoping that this is the answer for us. We know we want anothe rbaby, but not for a few years.

Good luck with your decision. I know it is difficult. I could not chart either...I'm just not disciplined enough.
#11 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 02:55 PM

I'm with the majority who are against the depo. I was on it for a year and gained 30 lbs., it was nice not having a period all that time, and it didn't affect my supply (I did nurse for 18 mos.). I liked the shot, but did I am still paying for the side effects.
#12 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 03:09 PM

I love my mirena IUD. Go on the fertility forum and you'll find lots of threads concerning the IUD.
#13 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 03:15 PM

I have not used any of those things but I have a few friends IRL and way too many people online say stay the hell away from depo. Good luck!
#14 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 03:18 PM

Moving this to Family Planning...
#15 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChel
I have had no problems with the Depo shot. I was on it for years- it did cause my periods to stop though. I also had no fertility problems afterward. (I was pg 6 months after my last shot.) Nor did I have any probems with my milk supply. However, my cousin bled for almost 3 months on the shot and still got pregnant so maybe I was just really lucky. I don't know anything about the nuva ring or IUDs- my Aunt (an OB nurse) advised me against IUDs and the ring is too new.

T I thought you were supposed to wait for a year after your last shot before TTC?

#16 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 04:34 PM

I wasn't TTC. We were actually hoping for an 18-24 month timeframe b/c of all the other meds I had been on and I was expecting a longer wait due to all the issues I've heard of with the Depo. My family is blessed with much fertility.

I'm not recommending the Depo shot, all of the research I have done since going off it have shown me that I was extremely lucky- I just wanted to share my experience.
#17 of 36 Old 05-05-2004, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChel
My family is blessed with much fertility.
T again, I know how you feel . Ds was concieved during condom use.

#18 of 36 Old 05-07-2004, 01:09 AM

I have been using the nuvo ring for about a year now and it has been great especially since it now comes with a little timer thingie to help remind you about taking it out. I worried about yeast infections but so far so good...
#19 of 36 Old 05-07-2004, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here's my 2cents. I use the ring and I love it. It's so easy. I haven't had any yeast infections. And it's been relatively easy for me to remember to remove it. Also, my OB/GYN thought it would be good for me cause it has less hormones than the pill, etc. My body's really sensative to all that. Anyway, I've used it for several months and I'm happy. Maybe you should give it a try and see what you think?? Good luck!
Chrissy

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#20 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks one and all! Definitly going to saty away from the Depo! I would like to try an IUd while I'm still nursing. DH soesn't think it's a good idea as it's suppose to be for four years but he wanst to have another baby in the next two( I wonder who he's having him with, but that's another problem).
I think I'll have a consultation for the IUd.
#21 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca
Thanks one and all! Definitly going to saty away from the Depo! I would like to try an IUd while I'm still nursing. DH soesn't think it's a good idea as it's suppose to be for four years but he wanst to have another baby in the next two( I wonder who he's having him with, but that's another problem).
I think I'll have a consultation for the IUd.
jeca, with the copper T IUD, it's at it's best, birth control wise, for the first two years. It's good for four years, but you don't need to have it in for four years! You can have it removed at any time with no ill effects! The whole 2 year vs 4 year thing was explained to me in this way: It's at it's best for the first 2 years, but tends to work just as well for the next two. Some women are concerned about the last two years and elect to have it removed and a fresh one inserted at the two year mark. There is a higher risk/rate of pregnancy with the removal and fresh insertion than with the leaving it for another 2 years. Something to do with uterine disruption? I'm not 100% clear on that...hope that explanation made some sense! If not, Lemme know and I'll try to clarify!

The point is, you're not committed to keeping it in for the 4 years! You can have it removed and start TTC at any time as there are no hormones or chemicals to get out of your system!

#22 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I knew I didn't *have* to keep it in for four years but they seem to stress that overa nd over again that it is a "four year plan".
I'm not sure I want to TTC.
#23 of 36 Old 05-12-2004, 08:31 AM

Jeca,
Just make sure you don't get the IUD without hormones...I'm sure you'll be just fine
#24 of 36 Old 05-12-2004, 08:41 AM

I have the mirena IUD and, while it was not comfortable going in (or for about 24 hours after that but ibuprofen helped a lot), and while I spotted for a month after, I am now pleased as punch. No discomfort, no hormone surges my own body didn't make, no lessening of my already low (due to bfing) libido, no enormous appetite, crying jags, etc.
As an aside, my ob told me the copper IUD is now good for 10(!) years, mirena for 5. I wanted the "security" of a little hormone (weird, I know), so I opted for mirena. My next IUD will likely be copper, though.
#25 of 36 Old 05-12-2004, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilllowhead
Jeca,
Just make sure you don't get the IUD without hormones...I'm sure you'll be just fine

Why is the one w/o hormones bad? :

#26 of 36 Old 05-18-2004, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead
Why is the one w/o hormones bad? :
It's not that it's "bad", but it doesn't work the same way:
- if you have problems with abortion, some people consider that it is an early abortion since you still ovulate with the copper IUD, the semen and egg can meet, they just won't implant.
- the hormones make it 99.9999999999% sure, and I think the risk of ectopic pregnancy is close to none (not the case with the copper IUD)
- The copper T can give you worst menstrual cramps, a heavier flow, longer periods... It's the opposite with the mirena IUD (lighter flow, less cramping, a lot of women stop having their periods or have spotting a few times a year)

Of course, if you are uncomfortable having artificial hormones (even at a very low dose) in your body, the copper T is the way to go.
#27 of 36 Old 05-19-2004, 07:22 PM

New here But, please, think the Depo through!! I had it, and it was HORRIBLE!! I had bleeding for 3 MONTHS!! I also gained over 20 lbs.!! I broke out somewhat, and had no libido, plus I was extremely moody all the time. I was like a caged, wild bird. I had hot flashes, and I was miserable for the months that I had it in my system. Not to mention, that it totally messed up my fertility cycles for TWO years!! Our NFP counsler said its one of the WORST things a woman can take for bc. just a thought.

Mommy to five wonderful earthlings, and one on the way supporter Humble Wife and Mother Learning to live through Jesus!
#28 of 36 Old 06-22-2004, 03:07 AM

Jeca, can you make an appointment with planned parenthood for a consultation?

Dh and I used withdrawal for about 5 yrs. After (supprise!) dd was born I was so confused about all the new stuff out there. It was really helpful for me to have a discussion with a knowlagable provider who has tons of experience with a wide range different birth control methods.

I used a merina IUD (this is a plastic IUD that releases pergesterone for 5 yrs) for the 2 yrs after dd was born. It was great for me, absolutely no side effests, gallons and gallons of milk for dd , no AF, and nothing to remember. When I was ready to start TTC it took a NP less than a minute to remove it. (OK the paperwork took 20 min to fill out ).
#29 of 36 Old 06-22-2004, 03:14 AM

I used the Nuva Ring and liked it. I didn't have the same problems I did with BC.

I don't like the IUD for a variety of reasons. And the dep shot can be bad if your body reacts badly to it as its in your body and you have to wait for it to work its way out.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#30 of 36 Old 06-26-2004, 12:37 PM

I have to say stay away from Depo too!!!!! Bad news. I tried Depo b/c I could never remember to take the pill. I bled heavily at my time each month, and spotted constantly in between, had awful cramps, gained 20 lbs., BIG BAD mood swings, and completely lost my previously raging sex drive!! It actually changed me so much the guy I was engaged to couldn't deal, and we broke up. It was awful. Deffinitely not worth it.

I am pregnant now, but looking into BC for after the baby is born. I found the IUD section on the Planned Parenthood website very informative. I also looked at the Paragard website. www.paragardiud.com This one is supposed to be good for 10 years!

Does anyone know how long you have to wait after birth to have the IUD inserted? I didn't have a cycle for 16 months after DD was born, does anyone know if having the IUD inserted will bring on my cycle? I'd like to keep it away as long as possible!

One question specific to the Mirena-- The hormones in this one are supposed to only cause a thicker mucus in the vagina/ uterus. Are these the same hormones that can cause crazy mood swings? I am very sensitive to hormones and mood swings are usually the result. But I would feel better knowing the hormones were there too, just incase. I would imagine they wouldn't cause it so much as BC pills do, since they are aimed for a different result. Anyone?

Thanks!

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page