Ear thermometer for BBT? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-10-2014, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ear thermometer for BBT?

I became interested in charting when I heard about it on mothering. So I ordered Taking Charge of Your Fertility, and signed up for fertility friend. I've been attempting to chart for a couple weeks my BBT in the morning using an ear thermometer, but just read in the book that ear thermometers aren't good for taking your BBT. I wonder if the ear thermometers weren't as advanced back when the book was published, I have an older copy of the book, so 19 years ago. Perhaps they've improved technology wise, and work alright for it nowadays? Anyone chart using an ear thermometer and see a thermal shift and have no problems? Or should I go buy a new thermometer?
#2 of 2 Old 06-16-2014, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi

I used fertility friend for about 6 months several years ago and going back to it now, so I need to order a new thermometer too. On Amazon UK they are only about £5 but the US site has basic ones for $10-15 and you can probably get them even cheaper elsewhere if you search!

It doesn't really matter what sort it is, but the important thing is that it is digital and the reading needs to go to 2 decimal places. Most you can find easily in shops are just basic ones for checking for fevers etc. and only go to 1 d.p. Because the thermal shift can be small the extra accuracy is necessary. It is possible to use a regular one, but I wouldn't really advise it because you increase the chance of missing the shift and the cost of a proper one is quite low.

A useful thing to look for is ones which beep when they have the reading and also will store the last reading in case you accidentally fall asleep again (which of course I never have...) or get distracted by a child before you can record it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page