Period starts after sex - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Period starts after sex

Lately my period will get off to a very very very lazy start, just light spotting for days on end, but as soon as I have a good orgasm, like when DH and I have sex, then it will finally get things flowing immediately. It makes it very difficult to pinpoint which day to consider day 1 of my cycle. It's one thing if it's just a day or two, but for example, this time it was spotting for a few days, then *nothing* for a couple more days, then finally, after finally getting a chance to be intimate after getting back from vacation with the in-laws, my period finally got going at a normal flow 7 days after I first started spotting. Do I call this day 7? Day 1? Something in between? It makes a big difference when trying to avoid pregnancy in the pre-ovulatory phase. Am I a week away from ovulation or two? It's just really odd; it's like without the uterine contractions, my period doesn't seem to like to start on its own. Yet when I google, all I find are articles saying that orgasms cannot start your period. Hogwash--I'm here to tell you it does! Does this happen to anyone else? If so, how do you account for it in NFP?

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mum2sarah

I have experienced something similar now and then, but I am still on hormonal contraception, so my system is not entirely functioning at its best - hoping to start NFP within the next month or two, depending on my body's reaction to the hormone withdrawal.

I do think that if this is a new symptom, it would be wise to see a doctor about it, especially if you haven't experienced any big life changes or trauma around the same time that your cycle started changing.

That being said, I do agree with you, it is possible that orgasms can start your period. I just don't think it's normal that your period is almost "waiting" for the sex. Not sure about the charting, though :/ Hopefully, someone else will be able to answer that one!!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:17 AM

One more thing - if your period is needing a bit of help, apparently the FemmyCycle menstrual cup has a bit of a vacuum, which has reportedly shortened some women's periods by helping the menstruation to come out more quickly. I reckon that it might help yours start on time without needing some "alone time" with DH Hope this helps.

www.femmycycle.com or www.femmycycle.eu (http://www.femmycycle.eu/faq/ covers all the information regarding the vacuum)
Old 09-17-2014, 08:31 PM

Hello, this for sure happens to me too! My cycles are always slightly different. Sometimes I spot for 4-5 days, sometimes only 1 day. Sometimes my "flowing" days are 3 days long, sometimes 6. And I completely agree that sex and orgasms have a big affect on the time and flow of when my period starts. I recently heard it referred to as "shaking the ketchup bottle" hahahaaa!!! So I assume it's not rare.

I'm thinking the only true way to know when you are ovulating would be to chart your cycles. Which I just started to do for this reason.

User Tag List