I have to get off the pill! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2004, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just started the pill since ds was born 3 mo ago, and so far I've had two yeast infections. So...I've got to find an alternate solution. The rythm (sp?) method has already landed us with two kiddos, and condoms just aren't feasable. I would really appreciate any and all advice on where to go from here. TIA (I'm not breastfeeding, so I don't have that protection )

Mama to 3:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2004, 05:27 PM

The Rhythm Method and Natural Family Planning aren't the same thing... have you looked into any form of NFP? I read "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and it cleared everything up to me. VERY informative book! I'm with you: I can't take any hormonal method of birth control, and I hate condoms. They don't recommend IUD until you've had at least one baby, so there it is. NFP for me.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:36 PM

I would do fertiliy awareness and avoid the fertile time, consider also using a barrier method -- like the sponge or similar.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:32 PM

Why not give NFP a try? I've been using the method for 3+ years, and it is has been great. I know my body better than ever, share family planning with DH (no guilt tripping!), it has no side effects, and is immeidately reversible.

There is a lot of info in this board, on both NFP and FAM.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:35 AM

i just had my first baby and am now using an IUD. paraguard copper IUD last 10 years, no hormones. i am still in the begining stages so i am having some awkward bleeding but my midwife says it is *normal* and that it should resolve itself with in the next few months. i like the fact that i dont have to worry about using anything nor do i have to worry about my fertile times of the month. look into it. i think it would be worth it for you since you dont want to take any more chances. oh...if you want to concieve again you can just have it removed and start trying imediately. hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:14 PM

I know what you mean.

I was on the pill on and off for about 5 years. I've never had any complications from it.

I initially stopped because I was spooked about health problems after the HRT stories came out, I thought, well, it's the same hormones, etc. But, then, a biologist actually explained the difference to me, when a woman is cycling vs. post menopausal and the effect of the hormones. Then I read the most comprehensive study on the bcp, and felt much better. I STILL am glad I stopped though, because the bcp made me feel numb. I was less responsive emotionally to things and I wasn't in the mood for sex, at ALL. I swear that's why bcps work.

SO, Ive been off of them for over a year and a half now and I feel better.

I'm reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility. DH will be reading it right after I'm finished. We're using condoms for the time being. I've also used sponges, but, I don't like the smell of them, and I hate all of that spermicide in my body.

I used a VCF, vaginal contraceptive film, once before, but, I think they're pretty useless, they're impossible to insert properly. I have a friend who uses IUDs and swears by them, but, only after a baby.

I strongly recommend reading the Taking Charge of your Fertility book, it's very informative and empowering.

For those of you who use the NFP as explained in this book, DOES IT WORK??

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I'd love to have sex without a condom, but, I don't want a baby right now. I'm hoping that in two years we can have one.... it depends on DH finishing school and landing a job so I can stay home and we can buy some land.

Thanks ladies.

Trin.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:34 PM

As someone who has been using NFP for birth control for oh, 4 months now, I'd say yes, it's worked so far! :

I know that so far, there has been NO chance of my getting pregnant though, because I know exactly when I'm fertile, and when I'm not. It's great. I can see it clearly on the charts. And once I understood the method clearly, I was comfortable having unprotected sex, because I knew it would be a miracle if I got pregnant when there was no egg.

So, I think one part of it is understanding the method, and the other part is mental. Have faith in your body, yourself, and the method. It really does work, as long as you follow the rules. And if you're not clear on a rule, go back and read up on it again. Most of the time, if someone had an oops baby, it came from breaking the rules of NFP. (Even just that once.)

User Tag List