weaning and baby #3??? (sorry.... long) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2004, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
spu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH and I are in the process of deciding if we should have another baby, which we both think we would love to do, but there's a few thing I'm struggling with and I need your help...I'm 35 right now, so by the time we start trying, I'll be 36 going on 37. My Dr.s all said that I'd need to completly wean the twins due to my past which makes me sad. Though, the babies will be 2 in July and will probably wean soon anyways... Plus, I'm concerned about waiting too long since they say the risks for Downs Syndrome increase as the woman gets older.

The reasons they want me to wean before TTC is because my luteal phase (sp?) is not long enough to support the implantation of a fertilized egg, and even if it did implant, I'd probably miscarry since I have a history of a pretty bad incompetent cervix (which, also happens to be small, and weak anyways with all the surgery I had carrying my twins...).

So... I'm pretty comfortable with the dr's opinions on nursing while TTC in my individual case. My biggest dilema is taking away this precious (and extremely helpful to me!) relationship... the nursing quiets them right down, keeps them quiet in church, soothes bumps and scares, puts them to naps and sleep... I hear them chugging alot still and I still feel a strong let-down, so I know they're getting good nutrition too. Plus, they're not huge eaters of solid foods, and what they do eat, although very healthy, happens to be low in calorie (lots of fruits and veggies)... so I don't want to enter a period of low weight gain or nutrition problems...

Does anyone know anything about the downs syndrome risks? Any older moms out there? Would you be so kind and tell me your ages as you had your children? Would you try and wean on the hopes of having another baby sooner rather than later? I dont want to deprive the twins of finishing their nursing experience, but I also don't want to get into the danger zone by being an "older" mom and it's associated risks...

Since the babies are almost 2, I wonder if they'll begin to self wean on their own? and how long it will take if I don't rush them?

And then I face the whole age thing. ugh.

Thanks for any advice!

susan
twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else
http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

p.s.
(I'm going to post this under the extended breastfeeding section too...)

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!

User Tag List