Question about the return of fertility - Mothering Forums
Family Planning > Question about the return of fertility
earthdaymomma2004's Avatar earthdaymomma2004 01:43 PM 07-10-2004
My dh and I practiced natural family planning before dd was born. Now that we're breastfeeding (exclusively...no pacifiers, etc.) I'm wondering how to tell if my fertility is returning. I have had a few "periods" but I'm not sure if I've ovulated. The first "period" seemed like just that lasting seven days..flow heavy to light like I used to have. Then I started bleeding twenty days later though lighter this time and now just fourteen days after the beginning of my last bleeding (does that make sense?) I'm bleeding again.

DH and I will happily accept another baby if we are blessed w/ one but we'd like to space our children a little farther apart considering our dd is just under three months old.

My OB/GYN had told me at the six week checkup that many women will spot th/out bf. Anyone had this experience??

liz-hippymom's Avatar liz-hippymom 01:42 PM 08-15-2004
i have spotted twice since having lucca, and my midwife said that it is normal during breastfeeding. HTH
mahogny's Avatar mahogny 05:49 PM 08-20-2004
Well, I'm curious about this issue, too. My DS was was bf exclusively for 15 months (ie, he didn't have his first intake of any kind of calories that WASN'T breastmilk until he was 15 months old - he nursed for quite a while after that, of course!). No paci's, no bottles, co-slept, nursed on demand, etc etc etc. However, I got my first PPAF when he was 7 months old, and was like clockwork since then.

I've been reading on these boards of women who are nursing toddlers and STILL haven't had their first period yet. Gosh, I can only hope that when this little tyke is born, I'll be so lucky... :LOL

ETA: On an interesting note, I think genetics plays a huge part in when fertility returns. My sister is definitely NOT the AP type - she bf, but supplemented at 2 months, started solids at 4 months, weaned at 6 months, and never co-slept a day in her life. However, like me, she also got her first period at 7 months. Since she and I got our first periods at the same time PP, especially since we have COMPLETELY different bf'ing practices, makes me think genetics plays a huge role in determining when fertility resumes.
runner29's Avatar runner29 05:37 PM 08-31-2004
Earthday momma,
I have no experience with the breastfeeding issue, but if you're wanting to figure out which of your bleeding episodes was real AF, I'd like to place my wager.
It's hard to tell if you ovulated before your first AF, but based on your description, it almost certainly was AF (though possibly an anovulatory cycle)
Since your 3rd AF came 14 days after bleeding, I'd guess the middle episode was "breakthrough bleeding" that usually occurs right at the time of ovulation. It is most common to have a luteal phase that's 14 days, so I'm guessing you actually did ovulate during the second bleeding and so you are/were fertile for that cycle. It could just be spotting, but the "14 day" clue makes me think not.
Hope this helps!
Up