Has anyone else ever had two periods really close together? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-22-2004, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had two periods less than two weeks apart. And I'm trying to figure out if something is wrong, or if it's just a fluke.

I usually have short cycles, I always have. About 23-25 days, on average.

On June 22, I got what seemed to be a period, two days later than usual, and shorter than usual, (3 days instead of the usual 5) and I didn't think anything of it. The bleeding was normal, if shorter, and there was no cramping or pain.

Then, on July 7, I bled again, this time my 'normal' period. Five days in length, normal amount, no cramping.

I'm not on any kind of bc pill or anything like that. And I'm not pregnant or nursing. Dd weaned almost three years ago.

Does this happen sometimes, for no apparent reason? Two periods close together?
#2 of 7 Old 07-22-2004, 02:20 AM

Are you charting?

It could have been a chemical pregnancy - where you had a fertilized egg that implanted but didn't "take". The light bleeding could have been the implantation, then the "normal" bleeding may have been when you finally shed your uterine lining.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#3 of 7 Old 07-22-2004, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

I was planning on starting to chart this month, as dh said it was okay if we actually TTC. But I haven't done much of anything in the past.

It could have been a chemical pregnancy. I've had early losses before.
#4 of 7 Old 07-22-2004, 07:31 AM

I regularly get 2 periods a month. Lucky me huh?
#5 of 7 Old 07-22-2004, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Has it always been like that for you, Katie's Momma, or was it something that started later on?

I'm wondering if this could just start happening regularly.
#6 of 7 Old 08-05-2004, 11:34 AM

hi,
sorry to respond a little later on this one, but I just came across this thread.

Have you considered that the first "AF" might have actually been breakthrough bleeding? This can sometimes happen right around the time of ovulation, you bleed a bit, but are actually very fertile, then you'll have a normal period 11-16 days later (or however long your normal luteal phase is).

Perhaps for some reason (maybe stress? that happens to me a bunch) ovulation was delayed for you, and what you thought was two cycles (with two AFs) was really one long one.

I learned about this in the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It turns out it's pretty much impossible for the body to have a complete cycle in only two weeks. There just isn't enough time to get the uterus ready for pregnancy, ovulate, and then wait for the embryo to implant before losing the lining in AF.

FYI: If you are ttc or tta, "breakthrough bleeding" is considered fertile!

Katie's Momma - does that sounds like what happens to you every month? or is it something different?

Marie

DD (2006) and DD (2009) and pos.gif
#7 of 7 Old 08-05-2004, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts, runner29.

I am pretty sure that it was just one long, very strange cycle. Mostly due to stress. I wasn't sleeping right, I definitely wasn't eating right, everything was all thrown off.

I made a really concentrated effort to eat right, sleep right and exercise, and everything seems to be back to normal this current cycle. It came right at 24/25 days and is normal in length and flow intensity. I have no cramping or anything odd, so that's a relief to me.

I've decided to hold off on ttc, for at least two or three months, just to make sure that I'm taking care of myself right and my body.

I ordered the TCOYF book, and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I've heard such good things about it, I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page