how effective is breastfeeding for birth control? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2004, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
just wanted to hear stories-
anyone get pregnant while nursing their baby under 6 months who nurses more than every four hours?

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2004, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes - once when my oldest dd was just 6 months and she nursed ALL the time day and night. We had tried her on some mashed banana that month though.

Then when my 2nd was 5 months and nursing about every 3 hours round the clock (plus I was on the pill - but had a flu and probably didn't keep all of them down) . He not started any solids at all.

No bottles (they wouldn't take them until I got pregnant anyway) or pacifiers for either. Co-sleeping with my 1st. My 2nd slept better on his own so he slept in a pack n play right next to our bed.

single mama to 5 (12.5, 11, 10, and 8 year old twins)

Old 08-15-2004, 07:34 AM

My sister got pregnant with her daughter when her son was about 5/6 months old and she was exclusively breastfeeding him.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:51 PM

When I worked in OB, we had a patient come in who was exclusively breastfeeding her 9-month-old and was pregnant. I'm not exactly sure how far along she was, but the only reason she came in was because she was already feeling movement. She was heavy, so her pregnancy wasn't apparent just by looking.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:24 PM

Yes I got pregnant when my twins were 6 months old.

They were not sleeping through the night or taking any solids or pacifiers.

they did get one bottle of expressed breastmilk a night (to take medicine) and I got my cycles back at 8 weeks.

I had gone through two years of IF treatments ending with IVF/ICSI (I had PCOS and dh had extremely low sperm count) and we had only DTD a couple of times since the twins were born so to say we were surpirised is putting it lightly even though my cycles were back.

Even if you are not menstruating and not giving any solids or artificial nipples and your baby is not sleeping through the night you will need to watch your body's fertility signals (like cervical mucous and cervical position) to rely on breastfeeding as birth control since the longer you go before getting your first PP AF the more likely it is that you will ovulate before getting it.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 08-15-2004, 01:29 PM

Cheryl wow! it looks like the twins were concieved when #3 was also in the 6 month range? and it looks like they are about 6 months now... be careful!!! LOL LOL

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

User Tag List