Charting - help please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-20-2004, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I am new here. I have been using NFP for almost a year now....with sucess or perhaps luck! I know when I ovulate from the stringly stuff which I get for several days....but now I am lost because right at the end of my period (which was late), I had a cyst (loads of fun) AND ovulated and got a bladder infection all at one time. No wonder I am tired huh? I am 36.
Anyway, I don't know if I will ovulate again this month or what?!
My OB suggested I start charting my temperature so I did...I have a great book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility but the one thing I can't quite get is if you ARE trying to conceive (not there yet, working up to it LOL), then when is the ideal time...I mean, aren't we women fertile before we get the stringy stuff??
I know about checking my cervix and seeing what the consistency of fluids are like....but how do you know what days really to try (or avoid).
Help!
Lisa in St. Louis MO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 09-21-2004, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there Lisa.

I use the sympto thermal method of NFP which I learned through ccli.org. I'm not familiar with the book you have but I will tell you what I know and you can see if it helps.

First, I am not aware that you can tell when you are ovulating based solely on your mucus. If you are taking your temperature right when you wake up in the morning, you should see a period of 6 days of lower temps followed by at least 3 days of temps 0.4 temps higher than your lower temps. The first day that your temp elevates is about when you ovulate. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that you really didn't ovulate right at the end of your period so you're still due for one this cycle.

According to the NFP rules I use, you are fertile whenever you have the more fertile type of mucus until at least the 3rd day of elevated temperature. You also can cross-check this with your mucus. The last day that you have the fertile type of mucus is called the Peak Day. Three days after the peak day is also when you are considered not fertile. This is a bit over-simplified as there are several different "rules" you could be using to determine when you are fertile and it's hard to explain in a text-only format.

Since I've never read your book I'm not sure how detailed it is. You might want to check out the self-teaching kit at ccli.org or find a certified teacher in your area to help you out.

I hope what I've written so far helps some. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will do my best.

The Most Important Person on earth is a mother...She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral-a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's bodyâ¦-Cardinal Mindszenty

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page